Plant, Hoe and Grow in State of Decay

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Plant, Hoe and Grow in State of Decay

Undead Labs' zombie apocalypse game promises more than just combat, so here's some gardening tips.

Cob Cannons and Tall Nuts don't seem to be on the menu, but if your State of Decay survivors want to prosper in this dead-means-dead zombie apocalypse [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119198-In-State-of-Decay-Dead-Means-Dead] they'd better start tending their plants. Lone survivors will not do well in this brave new world, but groups need to get fed and that means finding and cultivating renewable food sources. Like this lovely garden, for instance; seems remarkably open to zombie attack, but perhaps these survivors have already dealt with that problem.

"It's not just about combat," says Undead Labs, "it's about doing what you must do to stay alive. Food, water, shelter, and ammo - you'll need them all." It's an evolving world system, and while you can pillage the area roundabout for resources - spiffy tents, for instance - eventually you'll run out, and once you do it's time to start worrying about the future. "Zombies are attracted to noise and activity," Undead Labs warns, so you'll need to be cautious about your expansion. However once you've dealt with the dead you'll need to dig in, and the trailer illustrates how that can be achieved.

Presumably the game will never turn into Farmville: Zombie Apocalypse Edition. However if Undead Labs can pull it off, adding survivalist problems to the zombie genre could bring something very interesting to an otherwise tired formula. State of Decay still hasn't got a release date, but when it hits it will be on Xbox 360, XBLA and PC.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5938760/zombie-games-can-be-about-farming-too]

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Hopefully the community (assuming there is online play) isn't a bunch of collosal assholes, like DayZ. Or it will allow for LAN or private servers. This would be great to play with some trust worthy friends.

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
I have been following this game for quite some time and every time I see a bit of news about it, it just makes me want it all the more.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Hopefully this ingame farming (that sounds like its going to be pretty much mandatory) isn't going to be more tedious than real gardening.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Yeah, and with that... the game lost my interest. In a zombie game, I want to go around kill tons of zombies. Nothing less, nothing more.
Of course, there should be SOME sort of challenge (hence I never liked L4D2 but love L4D1), but still, I want to kills lots and lots of the undead/infected. I don't want to play Harvest Moon in a zombie game. If I want to play Harvest Moon, I dig out my old PS1 Disc of it and play Harvest Moon.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
WANT.

... And to avoid low content posts... REALLY REALLY WANT. Harvest Moon with Zombie hunting on the side? Yes please.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
Well holy crap, people are actually starting to realise that Zombie Survival as a genre actually has two words in the title. I'll be...

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Rainboq said:
Hopefully the community (assuming there is online play) isn't a bunch of collosal assholes, like DayZ. Or it will allow for LAN or private servers. This would be great to play with some trust worthy friends.
Sounds like you're hoping for the cream of the crop in more ways than one.
I have a group of friends who I frequently organize LAN parties with. We did a 12 our Ender dragon run a few days ago. No one griefed and it was probably the most fun I've ever had in Minecraft. But yeah, I can be a bit of idealist sometimes.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
I'm not the kind of person that thinks everything needs multiplayer but I can imagine a system like this adding an extra layer that I think would have made day z even better. I know the game plays in real time and the need to sleep would have ruined it, and if it skipped ahead a few hours it would fuck up the vibe, but this feels a bit like the survival aspects of Minecraft and Day Z put together, which I am more than on board with.

Capcha: dharma initiative. What was that from? Was Dharma from a game or TV show cos I'm getting an Angel vibe over here.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
ScruffyMcBalls said:
Well holy crap, people are actually starting to realise that Zombie Survival as a genre actually has two words in the title. I'll be...
Except there were no games yet, which advertised themselves as "zombie survival" genre. Just "Zombie game", "Zombie shooter" or " with zombies".

Agent Larkin

Apr 6, 2009
Well the survival aspect sounds interesting in this game.

Truth be told I was enjoying DayZ but I found it just too clunky sometimes.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Finally, zombie games are getting to the survival and rebuilt society parts, we have enough "here's a million of zombies, shoot them" games. This isn't an MMO, right? I hate when a good idea gets wasted on an MMO.