Feb 17, 2011
Plants vs Zombies 2 Exceeds PvZ's Lifetime Downloads

Source: Joystiq

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Whilst more people have downloaded Plants vs Zombies 2 when compared to the original game I bet that Popcap haven't earned as much money from it as the first game. I for one haven't spent a penny on that game as Im not that interested in paying £1.99 for a squash.

IndieForever

Jul 4, 2011
I suspect the real monetisation will come from new maps. Whilst a large percentage of people will have spent nothing on it so far, myself included, if they price new maps correctly then that's where the dollars will roll in. $2.99-ish for a couple of new maps with new some plants? That would sell.

Also, even if only 1% of people have spent, say, $5 on it so far that would tip it comfortably over the $1m mark. When the Android conversion follows, as it inevitably will, that will be another potential gold mine.

Whilst I would have preferred this to be an outright purchase, I don't think they've made a big mistake in terms of potential profitability with this one.

sid

Jan 22, 2013
I don't know, I'm a little reluctant to trust those numbers from EA, specially considering how visibly manipulated PvZ's ratings are. Taking this with a mountain of salt.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Laggyteabag said:
Whilst more people have downloaded Plants vs Zombies 2 when compared to the original game I bet that Popcap haven't earned as much money from it as the first game. I for one haven't spent a penny on that game as Im not that interested in paying £1.99 for a squash.
It would be interest to know what the "attach rate", for want of a better term, is for the game as far as the in app purchases are concerned. I haven't yet forked out any real money in game either, despite being in dire need of some coins right now and still being 17 stars away from unlocking the wild west. Really hate the layout of some of the pirate levels.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Eric the Orange said:
Get a no in game transaction version for 20$ up on steam and I'll buy it. Until then no sale.
This, I will never play another game that sells anything but aesthetic items for cash again. It's not that they are even expensive, they just bother the shit out of me.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
*raises hand*

Are they saying it exceeds the lifetime of downloads on IOS devices or of all downloads of the first game everywhere(legal) regardless of platform? The second scenario is far more impressive than the first.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
It be a better game if it had no microtransactions like the first game. I'd rather pay upfront then later.

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
It's statistics like this that make me worried. I, for one, hate the whole goddamn DLC/Microtransaction trend that has been going for the last 5 or so years. Sadly it looks like this kind of crap is just WAAAAY too lucrative for gaming companies to even consider an alternative business model.
The worst part is that there is barely anything the consumer can do to boycott this trend. For every full retail sale they lose, they are getting hundreds and hundreds of potential "micro-consumers".

Caffiene

Jul 21, 2010
Fanghawk said:
Perhaps more impressive is the fact that these figures were generated solely on iOS devices, specifically the iPhone and iPad, without charging users a penny for the download.
Im not really sure why its more impressive to generate free downloads rather than paid downloads. Surely its harder to convince somebody to pay to download a game than to convince them to make an essentially risk-free decision to try it out?

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
This isn't really news... I mean, you could offer a free app that photoshops you into having a tiny dick and forcibly sends it to your entire contact list and it would still get a million downloads.

point being: free will always sell better than not free. Always.

cridia

Aug 2, 2009
Urgh, I dislike PvZ2. I am not an opponent of the F2P model perse, but in games like this it simply doesn't work. They make me shell out money to "win," (which I reckon will eventually put me way over what PvZ1 cost me) because otherwise I will have to grind for keys and stars. It's that grinding that completely destroys the flow of the game, a flow that was really well designed in the first part. I mean, come on, I haven't even passed the first world yet and they are already making me backtrack to beat levels I have already beaten to earn stars because otherwise I won't be able to go to the next stage.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
even if it does work out for them, the ultimate conclusion that "popcap successfully sells out for massive piles of cash" is not really more comforting than our disappointment in them if they had failed

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
But how much money has it made EA?

Even if the transaction to attach rate is 25% (which I doubt) and each sucker person of spent money put in $10, you would need an download rate four times bigger than the original to make the same amount of gross money.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
martyrdrebel27 said:
This isn't really news... I mean, you could offer a free app that photoshops you into having a tiny dick and forcibly sends it to your entire contact list and it would still get a million downloads.

If you'd have read the article it's not just the downloads, it's the amount of time being played as well. People aren't just downloading it for giggles. They are playing it.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Makabriel said:
martyrdrebel27 said:

If you'd have read the article it's not just the downloads, it's the amount of time being played as well. People aren't just downloading it for giggles. They are playing it.
I did read the article, thanks. And my point still stands, people are more likely to download and play a free game over a paid one.