Plants vs. Zombies 2 Invading Lawns This Summer

Lyvric

Nov 29, 2011
That was a sad video. and the dude got laid off? also quite sad :(

I hope the game is fun nonetheless.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
...Pity they got rid of the guy who was largely responsible for the first game's existence...

Y'know, there are plenty of games where the whole "one person's vision" idea doesn't entirely ride, especially in the AAA-levels. Popcap was still making games that were small enough that they really could be one person's creative vision. For PvZ, that person was George Fan, and I've heard him speak about the game enough that I genuinely believe that he's the reason the game worked as well and was popular as it was.

And as near as I can tell, that success put him in a high enough place that some fucking imbecile said, "oh look, there's a fat salary I can cut so I can point to the money I saved when it comes time to justify my bonus."

The sequel may or may not be a good game. They may or may not follow through on that rumored desire to force a delightful 2D-cartoon aesthetic into the Frostbite engine. I don't know if the Powers that Be will come down with some dictate that dooms the thing from square one, insisting that you only get certain plants if your friends play or asking you to buy Hyper Peas for five bucks or... whatever.

I'm not real hopeful that a solid cash cow like PvZ will come through with both its charm and solid gameplay intact, but it will probably sell just fine anyway. There are dozens of generic games featuring zombies that have tried to capitalize on PvZ's success, and I suspect this will be much like one of them, only this one has the brand, for as long as that means something.

It doesn't mean much to me, anymore.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Without George Fan at the helm colour me "not that interested".

And with EA's rather dubious record involving acquisitions and sequels I doubt this will be as good as the first game.