Plants vs. Zombies Coming to Android, Free! (For a Day)

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Plants vs. Zombies Coming to Android, Free! (For a Day)

The PopCap classics Plants vs. Zombies [http://www.amazon.com/Chuzzle-Pc/dp/B000UQSRN6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305559563&sr=8-1] are coming to Amazon's Appstore for Android and if you're quick enough, you can get both of them free.

Notwithstanding its Bejeweled [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109652-Amazon-Defends-App-Store-Use] is the biggest thing PopCap has ever done.

Beginning tomorrow, May 17, Chuzzle will become the first-ever PopCap game released for Android mobile devices, available exclusively on Amazon's Appstore until May 30. Plants vs. Zombies will follow later this months with a similar two-week window of Appstore exclusivity. The games will normally sell for $2.99 each but both games will be available on launch day at no charge. That's right, if you get 'em on day one, you get 'em free.

That's a pretty solid deal. There's a lot of free crap available on Android but most of it is, well, crap. These games, on the other hand, are anything but. "PopCap is a brand synonymous with great mobile games," as Amazon's Aaron Rubenson put it, and giving its games away, even just for a 24 hour span, is a great way to draw attention to Amazon's upstart Appstore.

Hit up Dynomite [http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b?ie=UTF8&node=2350149011]. Kaboom! Yeah, I'd pay for that.

Pandora92

Apr 2, 2010
"The Amazon Appstore is only available to customers located within the United States."

Sigh...

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Pandora92 said:
"The Amazon Appstore is only available to customers located within the United States."

Sigh...
Wow really? They'd best update the availability pretty soon. They can't compete with the iPhone like that.
Anyway, great deal for citizens of the US at least, but I have no Android, so I can't take advantage of this. Still, I already own PvZ on PC, so not a problem.
However, I'm installing this Dynomite now. I fear for my study plans for the rest of the night.
EDIT: I was naive... I should have known better haha. Still, kinda cool game.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I hope there's an update when PvZ actually does go live so I don't miss it, but that is pretty awesome. It'll at least save me from having to spend money to buy PvZ a third time. Never heard of the one that comes out tomorrow, but I'll have to check it out. Popcap games are normally good, if addictive.

MadX

Mar 29, 2011
I'm not in the US >.< but if I log onto the appstore tomorrow and pretend to download it, then pirating it is fair? :p

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
I have been waiting for a long time for this.

I... I'm excited. It's finally happening.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
KABOOM!

Seriously, Dynomite is my favourite PopCap game ever.

As for the US only thing, I didn't even bother to check that. Very disappointing. But what exactly is happening? Is the Appstore not loading at all or what?

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Finally. Now I have something other than Angry Birds to play on my phone when I am waiting in line. Which was also free, so with these two, I'll have spent a whopping nothing on my phone games. Just the way I like it.

tcurt

Jan 28, 2010
Don't forget the Amazon App Store isn't available for AT&T customers yet either. This is a great deal for an unfortunately smaller amount of people.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Hmm. Do we have to already have an Android device to get this, or can we download it now and sync it to the phone at a later date? Because I know I'll be getting some kind of pocket-sized gadget (possible with phone capability, possibly without) eventually, but I'm waiting until some brand actually makes one that's actually compatible with more than one network so I don't have to replace it just because I don't like my carrier.

Splunge

Cautiously Optimistic
May 4, 2009
I'm in Australia. The App store does install and run on my phone, but any "purchases" give the message that the service isn't available in my area.
So yeah. Amazon are being great big teases, giving me a glimpse of what I *could* buy, but not actually letting me.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Splunge said:
I'm in Australia. The App store does install and run on my phone, but any "purchases" give the message that the service isn't available in my area.
So yeah. Amazon are being great big teases, giving me a glimpse of what I *could* buy, but not actually letting me.
You think that sucks? Angry Birds: Rio wasn't available in RIO when it was released through Amazon. Talk about irony.