Platinum Games Could Be Teasing Bayonetta and Wonderful 101 for the Switch

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Platinum Games Could Be Teasing Bayonetta and Wonderful 101 for the Switch

Platinum Games has a new Japanese-language Twitter account, and it may be teasing Switch ports of some of its game.

Gamers have been treated to plenty of teases from Platinum Games in recent months. The developer began with teasing PC ports of Bayonetta and Vanquish that came to fruition. Now it's opened a new Japanese language Twitter account that appears to be teasing some Switch ports of the developer's Wii U games.

The first post was a little bit vague. It featured a picture of Bayonetta as she appeared in both the first and second game, and observant spectators pointed out the background colors in the pic match up with the colors of the Switch's blue and red Joy-Cons. Of course, they also match the colors used in each game's box art, so that's certainly not conclusive.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/platinumgames_j/status/881710210166824960]

But a second tweet was a bit more interesting. It featured the characters from Wonderful 101 playing the game they star in using Switch controllers. The English language account quoted the tweet, and said that it was a welcome to the new account from Platinum Games modeler Eiji Funahashi.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/platinumgames/status/882832571255664642]

So is this is worth some speculation? Possibly. Platinum has been teasing games a lot of late, but this could be nothing more than a fun couple of pieces of art. While a Bayonetta port wouldn't be a huge surprise, Wonderful 101 used the Wii U gamepad fairly heavily, making a port a bit more of a dicey affair.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
You know I always wonder about re-releasing old console exclusive games as a port to a different console as opposed to the PC or releasing HD updates of said old games for that matter. The latter makes some modicum of sense considering they include updated graphics as well as usually some tweaks and fixes the original game never got [sub](excluding bethesda games of course)[/sub] with which to entice people to repurchase them and people tend to be more biased towards re-purchasing exclusives ported to the PC because of the mindset of having a "mobile and playable anywhere" copy of the game they already own in-addition to having improved graphics control. As for porting exclusives to another console, especially within the same console line, it seems a little more questionable considering the people who wanted those games already bought them (and potentially the console to play said games at the same time) on the older console so why would they be swayed to buy the games for the newer one if it was only a port? Of course there is the potential sales of people who picked up the new console but not the old one or didn't purchase the games previously (not likely to be many though) and those who wish to justify their console's value by just having something in their library for it but for the rest there isn't much reason to buy the games again.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I'd re-buy 101 on Switch if they maybe adjusted a few things. There's 1 particular chapter in the game that made a lot of people (including me) rage quit and balancing it out would be nice. Maybe a higher frame rate too? But if they do put the 101 on Switch, I'd be quite happy~ Same with Bayonetta 2. Maybe then I can sell my Wii U without a care once it happens

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Okay, I know I've been pretty harsh on Nintendo over the years, and I've said some things.

That said, I will shut my whore mouth if they bring those to the Switch.

I will buy the damn thing and I will play all of the Bayonettas since I never got a chance to play the second, and playing the first one again on the PS3 makes me want to cry.

Please be true, don't tease me Platinum.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
008Zulu said:
The Switch's hardware is barely a step up from the Wii U.
I'd say that's selling it short a little. It's not like it's a difference of a few hundred Mhz or something.

DarklordKyo said:
Maybe a more stable framerate, but it ain't gonna exceed 60.
I think that's what I meant to say. Cause the game certainly could use it at times. It dipped down well below 30 in some rather crazy moments

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Elvis Starburst said:
I think that's what I meant to say. Cause the game certainly could use it at times. It dipped down well below 30 in some rather crazy moments
Well, the better term would be stable, since saying that something has a higher frame rate usually makes people think you mean literally higher (like, from 60 to 144).

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Elvis Starburst said:
I'd say that's selling it short a little. It's not like it's a difference of a few hundred Mhz or something.
When you compare the difference in performance between Breath of the Wild (with Switch in console mode), they're both capped at 30fps, and frequently drop below that.

VirOath

Jan 16, 2009
I am pretty sure that recent patches to W101 added in additional functionality to cut down on the need to use the touch pad or the second screen. Screen In Screen for the interior sections for example.

Made the game a lot more enjoyable for me and means that a Switch Port is likely not as difficult as you would think as the groundwork for changing the controls has pretty much been laid already.

Elvis Starburst

Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
008Zulu said:
When you compare the difference in performance between Breath of the Wild (with Switch in console mode), they're both capped at 30fps, and frequently drop below that.
Considering it's a game that was developed for Wii U initially and meant to be released in 2015, but then delayed twice to coincide with the Switch release, I think that speaks for itself why they're so close together in terms of performance

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I still haven't played Bayonetta 2 due to its exclusivity, so now if i absolutely have to get another console to play it i'll have to get the Switch, to be fair i'd much rather get a Switch than a Wii U.