Platinum Games Defends its Involvement in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Platinum Games Defends its Involvement in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

A lot of fans are questioning whether Platinum Games can pull off a Metal Gear game, but executive producer Atsushi Inaba reckons he's got this.

What we've seen of the now un-cancelled Metal Gear Solid Rising: Revengeance [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114676-Leaked-Metal-Gear-Rising-Trailer-Outs-Platinum-as-Developer-UPDATED] is undeniably impressive, but it's not very, well ... Metal Gear-like is it? The wailing guitar, the complete lack of stealth, the title which makes editors weep tears of blood, the part where former-mope-o-tron Raiden chucks a Metal Gear Ray into the air like it's made of styrofoam, it all seems more in line with the over-the-top action of Bayonetta than the more measured gameplay of the Metal Gear series.

"It seems there are some who wish to imply PlatinumGames was able to achieve what Kojima Productions could not -- interviewers among them," tweeted Inaba. "This notion is spurious. Clearly, we have not yet produced any results in the world of Metal Gear."

"I know reaction to the new trailer is mixed. Yet I also believe our love and respect shines through," he added.

Platinum's pedigree as an action developer isn't in doubt. The company was founded by key members of the now, sadly defunct, Clover Studio, the developer of Okami, Viewtiful Joe and, of course, God Hand, and their efforts as Platinum Games haven't been all that shabby either. That being said, Inaba admitted that changing the development team mid-production was a huge risk.

"The gap is immense. Mr. Kojima tossed his chips on our table, believing we could handle the task. In other words, he took a gamble."

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
It's an incredibly bold move, there's no denying that, and it should be interesting to see how it plays out in the long run. I was unsure at first, but I think it's nice to see Kojima Productions handing over the reigns and saying "Here, see what you can do."

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
It's just wierd that it takes place after MGS4... Raiden got with his family, everything was solved. The big bad was defeated...

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
Not my cup of tea. At all. To be honest, it looks bloody horrendous. Silly cartoon physics, hyperactive action without any actual impact, and hilarious attempts at "badass" characterization. And who came up with that title? AND, why did the developers feel the need to point out that "Revenge + Vengeance = Revengeance" several times? Do they think I'm stupid? I am, but it's rude of them to assume so.

Thanks for sparing me the agony of anticipation, though.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Still looking forward to it. Its not an MGS series game and I hope it plays nothing like one either. Judging from the trailer, my hopes are in good faith.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
Wait.
Are you telling me that revengeance is the actual subtitle for the game!? I thought that was just for the trailer, but they're actually THAT FUCKING STUPID!?

Argh, I really hope that's just a translation problem...

Anyway, Spoony, would you do the honors?:

I might be over-reacting, though I don't think I am. They had better start explaining just how the hell this makes any sense with the end of MGS4.
I will be watching this train-wreck, as much as it's gonna hurt.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Korten12 said:
It's just wierd that it takes place after MGS4... Raiden got with his family, everything was solved. The big bad was defeated...
Or...Was he? *dun dun dun*

Anyway, wasn't the shift done before Platinum took over? I don't know, maybe I followed the sequence of events wrong, but I didn't think that was a Platinum thing.

Drummie666 said:
Wow. Just when I thought angry Joe couldn't look like more of a tool.

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
OutrageousEmu said:
Grey Carter said:
"I know reaction to the new trailer is mixed. Yet I also believe our love and respect shines through," he added.
There are many words to describe what these people have done to Metal Gear. "Love" and "respect are not two of them.

Also, FYI, revengeance is a real word.
According to dictionary.reference.com, it is an obsolete word that means revenge or vengeance. It is not in the Merriam-Webster dictionary. This leads me to conclude that the fact that 'revengeance' is an actual word (albeit debatably so) is entirely coincidental. Especially so considering the trailer.

I watched it again for this comment. It makes me sad that people were paid to write and direct it.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
To me all this effort was wasted on another Metal Gear. This would be WAY, WAY more accepted if it was all towards ZOE3. Which is what everybody been waiting for, not another MG lampoon game.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
I'm game for this.
It looks great.
Its being made by a great developer.
Its story is still being handled by Kojima Productions.
I can't wait.

By the way, Raiden wasn't anywhere near as whiny or lame as people seem to remember. He just wasn't as cool as Snake. Which was kind of the point.

Apr 28, 2008
I don't mind.

Personally, I wish Kojima would stop working on Metal Gear games. After 4, it's pretty clear that he's just tired of the series and wants to do something new. And I really wish he would. I'd rather have no Metal Gear than a Metal Gear without an excited Kojima at the helm.

As far as I'm concerned, MGS4 was the end of the series. It wrapped everything up, everyone was happy (relatively speaking), and it was just that, and end.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Korten12 said:
I agree. The original plan for it to be an interquel connecting 2 and 4 was better. We have yet to find out how Raiden rescued Sunny from the Patriots for instance.

Irridium said:
I don't mind.

Personally, I wish Kojima would stop working on Metal Gear games. After 4, it's pretty clear that he's just tired of the series and wants to do something new. And I really wish he would. I'd rather have no Metal Gear than a Metal Gear without an excited Kojima at the helm.

As far as I'm concerned, MGS4 was the end of the series. It wrapped everything up, everyone was happy (relatively speaking), and it was just that, and end.
Well...yeah. He didn't want to make another Metal Gear game after Snake Eater, but people were actually sending him death threats demanding that he did. That's why everyone is dead, dying, or dies in MGS4; out of spite.

Not sure why he suddenly went back and announced MGS5, then started working on this game as well...

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
OutrageousEmu said:
Grey Carter said:
There are many words to describe what these people have done to Metal Gear. "Love" and "respect are not two of them.

Got a dictionary entry for it? I couldn't find it anywhere.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Because god forbid the game about the super-powered roboninja guy in the series play differently from the game about the old human guy.

It seems like the thing that defines the Metal Gear series to me (heavy-handed philosophy about war mixed in with bursts of jaw-droppingly awesome violence) is still in the game so who really cares? You know, other than the fans who take any change to their golden cow as a sign of disrespect. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuinedFOREVER]

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Raiden is involved, so why does everyone assume we're not being trolled?

Raiden is Kojima's trollface.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Grey Carter said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Grey Carter said:

Got a dictionary entry for it? I couldn't find it anywhere.
It's not a real word. HOWEVER, Urban Dictionary has an entry on it.

n: causing or inflicting damage in return for damage done to oneself. Combination of revenge and vengeance, a more profound and severe statement statement

-the act of gaining revenge at a rate of at least 2.54 times greater to that of standard revenge and 1.61 that of standard vengeance.

-considered to be an act of the most violent retaliation.

-while revenge is served cold and vengeance is served hot revengeance is often seen served with Cajun with a side of onion rings and often dumplings in the Orient

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
To all the people moaning about this change:

You are aware that Kojima Productions had quietly canceled this game because they couldn't figure out how to get it to work decently yes? Platinum came along and saved this title from non-existence and you all have balls to complain about it being ridiculous and over the top?

Bullshit.

This is the same guy who breakdances robots to death, stops a city sized battleship with one arm before getting crushed by it then fight a squad of soldiers with a sword in his mouth while having no arms and raining down lightning.

Seriously people, take off the fucking fanboy goggles.