Platinum Games Defends its Involvement in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I can't say anything about the stupid-sounding title. And Metal Gear's plot history has always been over-the-top bullshit, so I won't dare point that out about this game.

Honestly, I'm alright with this. Given how much of a badass Raiden was made out to be in MGS4, the very idea of that kind of action being captured with standard MGS gameplay is kinda inconceivable. I mean, swordplay in MGS2 was just not that great, if even that.

As for the gameplay change, even before it got "canceled," they made it clear from the start. The whole "Lightning Bolt Action" thing. Oh I get it, he's lightning. Oh snap.

SmokePants

Jun 28, 2010
They can pull off a Metal Gear game better than Kojima Productions can pull off a twitch action game. I actually got excited when rumors of Platinum's involvement first surfaced. Bayonetta was really good and Rising is going to be a better game than it would have otherwise been... well, if it hadn't been canceled.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
This trailer... doesn't really look fun? (not a question, just unsure of the statement itself). ie, it is over-the-top action and that makes it look interesting... but the mere concept sounds so fucking retarded. Couldn't Kojima just makes this a movie? It seems like that is what this is wanting to be more than a game. Not to mention the subtitle brings tears of rage to my eyes.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
anthony87 said:
To all the people moaning about this change:

You are aware that Kojima Productions had quietly canceled this game because they couldn't figure out how to get it to work decently yes? Platinum came along and saved this title from non-existence and you all have balls to complain about it being ridiculous and over the top?

Bullshit.

This is the same guy who breakdances robots to death, stops a city sized battleship with one arm before getting crushed by it then fight a squad of soldiers with a sword in his mouth while having no arms and raining down lightning.

Seriously people, take off the fucking fanboy goggles.
Am I allowed to complain about this trailer looking over the top and ridiculous if I'm not a fanboy since I really haven't had much experience with the games at all? I mean, I've only played a bit of MGS1, so my opinion of the series is still non-existent... but even as an outsider to the series, even I can see how terrible this game will probably turn out. Maybe the project should have been scrapped for something else.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This looks like an interesting game, that is for sure. I'll watch this one. I love the Metal Gear universe. All the Solid games have been fantastic, and I liked the over the top shit that happened with Raiden in the last installment. I'll watch it, and I hope they just don't waste our time with PSmove or Kinect bullshit for the game.

Fun fact: I hit the comments link, and then had the enough time to read the article 1.5 times before it actually came here. I'm very disappointed with the "new technology" of the Escapist.

Edit: What is with that sub title. They make it sound like a sequel to Metal Gear Rising. They should have stuck with plain old Metal Gear Rising.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I could not think of a developer that are so talented yet so unsuited to the Metal Gear brand as Platinum games.

This does NOT deserve the Metal Gear name.

Also, PC version has been dropped and the release date put back indefinitely. Right.

anthony87 said:
To all the people moaning about this change:

You are aware that Kojima Productions had quietly canceled this game because they couldn't figure out how to get it to work decently yes? Platinum came along and saved this title from non-existence and you all have balls to complain about it being ridiculous and over the top?

Bullshit.

This is the same guy who breakdances robots to death, stops a city sized battleship with one arm before getting crushed by it then fight a squad of soldiers with a sword in his mouth while having no arms and raining down lightning.

Seriously people, take off the fucking fanboy goggles.
Hey, we ALL HATED THAT in MGS4.

Don't think that somehow the excesses of MGS4 excuse the even further excesses here!

We fell in love with Metal Gear when it was you fighting against a giant bi-pedal nuclear tank with just a stinger-missile launcher. Grey Fox turned up for a bit and got shot down and crushed into red goo. You persevered by guile and tenacity, not magically making the enemy as light and fragile as Styrofoam because "oooh, Raiden has to be badass now".

Raiden was an unlikable git and REMAINS an unlikable git. Only now he is in high heels, with hot-topic ninja-outfit and like a ninja-hipster uses a sword instead of a gun. Snake did fine with a gun.

Again, get this clear, the die hard Metal Gear fans HATE RAIDEN! They more than just wish he would go away, they wish he never even existed. There is fan-fiction out there that utterly writes him out of the Metal Gear story.

MGS1, MGS3 and Peace Walker, now THOSE were proper Metal Gear games. MGS2 and MGS4 were ponderous tripe. MGS4 only tied up the loose ends of MGS2 that didn't so much have loose ends as and entire third act that defies any kind of logic, consistency or even dramatic purpose. Aka: wankery.

The problem is this is NOT change, this is MORE of the same bullshit he have seen since 2001 and after 10 years WE STILL DO NOT WANT ANY RAIDEN! Go away. I can't stand him AS A CHARACTER! Making him a cyborg ninja would have been a good move if:
-there was a REASON he ended up chopped up as a ninja
-he shut up and never ever said another word. Ever.
-His cyborg exoskeleton didn't look so trite. The exposed stylised hair, the translucent lip, the impractical eyepatch. WTF?! Less is more! He is wearing the Hot-Topic of cyborg-ninja exoskeletons!
-he served a purpose in the plot, unfortunately he has been barely relevant from the start

His back story: "hurr, you were apparently a child soldier in Africa that we shall mention just once in a fading photo montage and monologue exposition. Even though it seems your voice actor was told to present your character as a spoiled rich white boy who constantly bitches and yet folds like a ***** to your nagging girlfriend, and also utterly be inept in combat. Yeah, supposedly 'Jack The Ripper' needs to be saved by Snake within 15 minutes of the game starting."

And yeah, how fucking low do you have to go to exploit CHILD SOLDIERING as a back story to explain how weird and dysfunctional Raiden is.

Raiden doesn't act traumatised form childhood war exploitation, he acts pretentious and with posing self-aggrandisement. Snake acts more like he was exploited as a child soldier.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
On Raiden:
He came off to me as the Every Guy that was kind of pushed into being a soldier for reasons that aren't revealed until the end of the game. He never seemed all that whiny. His girlfriend was a whiny, annoying ***** and the colonel was a jackass, but the reasons for that are all revealed toward the end. Hell, you even find out the Raiden isn't Mr. Every Guy after all. He essentially had his mental health thrown out a window at a very young age. The fact that he still ended up being a 'good guy' managed to be a point of amazement for me.
It also adds to his apparent turn to being a psycho in Rising, for me. I can see how this guy could have absolutely snapped and reverted to this machine of war that he was trained to be.

I actually like Raiden.
Is he Snake (Naked or Solid)?
No. Few people are.
However, he's still a very viable character that I like to follow.

EDIT: Oh, and dude above me, the project was cancelled until Platinum Games picked it up. So the release date was moved from never to sometime in the future.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Korten12 said:
It's just wierd that it takes place after MGS4... Raiden got with his family, everything was solved. The big bad was defeated...
I'm pretty sure all the information on this has said it takes place pre-4.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
Exclamation points must be appearing above the heads of Metal Gear fans throughout their respective nations. Change is not always a bad thing though, it could be a much better movie than the last one. *bah-zing*

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
Korten12 said:
It's just wierd that it takes place after MGS4... Raiden got with his family, everything was solved. The big bad was defeated...
Originaly it was, but with Revengence they changed it to after.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Korten12 said:
Frostbite3789 said:
Korten12 said:
Originaly it was, but with Revengence they changed it to after.
Which is why none of it makes any sense now.

Also the Gekko's and unammned Ray's were controlled by the SOP system which has since then been completely deactivated and made null which leads me to think "how in the hell are they still functioning at all?".

Also not a massive fan of how much has changed since this doesn't even feel like a Metal Gear game let alone begin to make any lick of sense.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
They made Bayonetta didn't they? That was an Awesome Hack n Slash

And jeez, the guys at MGS really took all those "Raiden was a fag in MGS2" comments to heart...

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Misinformation doesn't help if you go about calling it Metal Gear SOLID Rising, instead of just Metal Gear Rising. Gives the impression that this is MGS5 instead of a completely new series.

its a complete Genre switch, its not unheard of for franchises to do this.

Personally see this as just a cash grab, making a game that appeals to more ppl than the relatively niche market of Stealth Action. They are banking on Character recognition to sell this game. I take it Vanquish didn't do so well with all the new faces? perhaps if they remake Vanquish with Metal Gear characters it'll sell better. lol

Kojima, if you are trying to kill off Metal Gear so you can make other games, there are better ways of going about it; for example, actually keeping your word that MGS4 is your last metal gear game XD

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Soxafloppin said:
They made Bayonetta didn't they? That was an Awesome Hack n Slash

And jeez, the guys at MGS really took all those "Raiden was a fag in MGS2" comments to heart...
I believe Kojima has been on record saying that he actually favors Raiden's character XD so yeah you could be totally correct about this.

Raiden really got a bad rep only because the American voice for him is so annoyingly fruity XD. (assuming it isn't so in Japanese.)