Platinum Games Says it is "Constantly Talking" About Bayonetta 3

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Platinum Games Says it is "Constantly Talking" About Bayonetta 3

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1409/1409020.jpgPlatinum Games may not have announced Bayonetta 3 just yet, but it doesn't mean the studio isn't thinking about how to make it.

There was a cryptic series of videos uploaded to YouTube about a month ago [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170217-Platinum-Games-May-Be-Teasing-Bayonetta-3] that featured Bayonetta repeating lines from previous games three times, which many took as a tease of Bayonetta 3. While nothing further has materialized, an interview with Platinum Games' Atsushi Inaba reveals that the studio is always thinking about how to take the series forward.

Speaking with SourceGaming [http://sourcegaming.info/2017/05/29/straight-from-the-source-atsushi-inaba-platinum-games/] at BitSummit in Japan, Inaba said that a third Bayonetta is a constant topic. When asked if Bayonetta would still be the protagonist, Inaba replied,

"Maybe there would be a male Bayonetta! (laughs). I would like to make Bayonetta 3. We're talking within the company even now about what to do. But because we're constantly talking about it, that actually makes it really hard to say. If we weren't talking about it, we could just say something random or offhand, you know, but because we're actually talking about it...Of course, that's just something that you talk about when you're making a series - do you want to keep the same protagonist? There's plenty of precedent for changing protagonists, and so that is something we discuss - do we want to keep the same one, have a different one, add new ones - but that's certainly not anything I can say for sure at this point."

There's still nothing official on when or if we might hear anything about Bayonetta 3, but if Inaba's comments are representative, it sounds like the studio is on board.

animeprime

Feb 18, 2013
Hmmm, male Bayonetta. Might work but they could go in many different ways with the character. They would certainly have a lot more hair to fuel attacks. /shudder

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
If they're talking about someone other than Bayonetta being the playable protagonist, why isn't their first instinct to make it Jeanne? Seems pretty obvious to me, and the outcome a number of us want.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
unless it is also on a system i own at this point i don't really care if it ever gets made

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
linkblade91 said:
If they're talking about someone other than Bayonetta being the playable protagonist, why isn't their first instinct to make it Jeanne? Seems pretty obvious to me, and the outcome a number of us want.
Probably because it would not be such a different protagonist:
You play as Jeanne in the final chapter of Bayonetta. She is pretty much a palette swap of the main character...
I don't know if I want a male protagonist, mostly because "feminine" and "sexy" are a lot of the DNA of the series. If they changed it to a male character that embodies "anime cool" as she embodies "anime titillation", it would be a different series. Besides, they already did that character, it was called Dante.

I wouldn't mind if they make Rodin playable for a few chapters, or as a secondary character for co-op, but Bayonetta should still be the main protagonist.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
This time, please make sure to exclude the obligatory annoying kid.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Having a rival witch might be a neat idea. Having it on PC would be valuable as well, of course

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hazy said:
This time, please make sure to exclude the obligatory annoying kid.
Cereza, Loki, or both? Neither actually bothered me, but I did find Loki more entertaining. Though you do have a point about repeating a kid sidekick character a third time. If they did, it would be pretty stretched thin to justify why they tag along with Bayonetta.

I highly doubt there would be a male version of Bayonettta as playable character, because she and Jeanne are both fem versions of Dante. Speaking of Dante; three things: Are we ever going to get a DMC5? Second, we really need crossover between the two, since it's implied that they both take place in the same universe from the Bayonetta games. And third, Dante has gotten a lot of expies over the past decade:

Gungrave - Brandon Heat

Onechanbara Z & Z2: Kagura. She acts like DMC3_Dante with a small slice of Bayo.

No More Heroes - Helter Skelter. Though he is more of a Take That against the character. You don't even fight him. He dies in the
very first trailer for No More Heroes.

Wonderful 101 - Wonder Blue.

Sengoku Basara - Date Masamune. He's even voiced by Reuben Langdon in the third game.

Which is funny, because he was based off an anime character called Cobra.

I am hoping that Bayonetta 3 will be on all platforms, but odds are with the fallout they had with Microsoft, it won't be on the XBONE. So luckily, it will be on the Ps4 & Switch at best. If not, a Switch exclusive. I hate to say it, but I have almost no interest in the console this early. When Nintendo gets more games that are worth my attention, then we will talk.

Alma Mare

Nov 14, 2010
As much as I loved both Bayonetta games, 2 made it clear they have no clue about where to take the game next. It was basically the first game on steroids. As most people I didn't mind, but 3 in a row might be pushing it.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Jeyl said:
Mmm. Switch release.
Why limit yourself to 720p @30fps? Come over to Team PC, we enjoy Bayonetta with 1080p @60fps.

OT; I never played the second game, didn't own a Wii U, but if they released it on PC, I most likely would give it a try, even though the first game wrapped things up in a nice tight little bow.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
So what? They want to make the next Devil May Cry game?

If they change the protagonist, please change the name. If you arent playing as Bayonetta, it should not be called Bayonetta. I hate when titles become irrelevant to whats happening...

...or they try to keep it relevant when they should move on...Halo >~>

Jeyl

Aug 10, 2010
008Zulu said:
Jeyl said:
Mmm. Switch release.
Why limit yourself to 720p @30fps? Come over to Team PC, we enjoy Bayonetta with 1080p @60fps.
Never bothered me before. And while I do own a gaming rig myself, I just like the idea of Bayonetta being a Nintendo thing. Just the idea of Nintendo backing a mature IP like Bayonetta to such a degree that it showed Nintendo was moving in the right direction. It'd be nice to see that trend continue.

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
linkblade91 said:
Because you can play as Jeanne in both games, and she has the same moves as Bayonetta does, just a different coat of paint on them. The only difference is that she hits harder with Wicked Weaves and that she does not activate Witch Time as easily as Bayonetta does. A story from Jeanne's point of view would be interesting, but gameplay wise, it'd be practically identical to playing as Bayonetta. I'd love to play as a Lumen, but since they're all dead (unless they somehow revive the order or pull a "There's still one last Lumen alive!") that's not going to happen. Rodin's adventures in crafting Bayonetta's weapons would be pretty interesting. But at this point, they'd have to use Bayonetta as the main character, or create an entirely unique new main character.

Part of me wants to see a male Bayonetta just for the reversal of a sexy male main character who does all these feminine things and still kicks major ass.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
An unabashedly sexy male character would be an interesting thing to see, ideally something like the MC in Moebius.

Well, I suppose we'll see who wants to help pay for it.

Samael Barghest

Mar 5, 2014
Less Bayonetta attempting to be sexy would be nice. It feels like she's a child that only holds the barest knowledge of "sex appeal" and has gone full mental trying to show it off. I also think she's just not that sexy, holding the exact same viewpoints as Yahtzee does.

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
I was disappointed with Bayonetta 2, when the Sage's cloths don't fly off when he's summoning like Bayonetta's do.
Missed opportunity there.

chiggerwood

Lurker Extrordinaire
May 10, 2009
You can talk about what you're going to do all you want, but it's a lot better to just stay silent until something's sewt in stone. I mean, I don't constantly talk about getting a third penis grafted to my thigh, I'm just waiting for my insurance to approve.