Play Dragon Age: Inquisition Multiplayer, First 6 Hrs of Singleplayer, For Free

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
This is a good idea. If only it was more widespread. For example, there's no reason why developers that release their games on digital platforms couldn't release for example 1h of their game for free as a demo. Making actual demos cost money, and now with Steam refunds it would be a logical step forward to make something like that.
So you have to download the whole game (24 gigs) just to try out 6 hours? I used to have a download cap, and that's a huge dent in the monthly quota if you have one.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
As much as I want to snark about the multi, 6 hours of demo time is nothing to sniff at.

Though come to think about it, having an arbitrary time limit rather then demo ending at x point seems...weird. So if you pause the game because of an emergency and come back a few hours later, the demo is over?

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Sorry, off-topic, but this made me want to complete the game (haven't played since January). Managed to accidently wipe my save. THANKS, STEVEN! :p
Doesn't matter. Better to start over and get the story back in my head than resume and be lost.

regalphantom

Feb 10, 2011
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
Wait, this is multiplayer? What's it like exactly? Can you enjoy the story just as well as in Singleplayer, or is it changed in some way?
The multiplayer is similar to ME3's multiplayer, go through a simple level with other players, fight your way through waves of bad-guys with a boss at the end, get exp, loot and gold, which is spent to level up characters, buy new ones, and get better items for harder difficulties. Not the deepest multiplayer, but surprisingly entertaining. It is also worth noting that the multiplayer is separate from the single player entirely.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Imre Csete said:
Adam Jensen said:
This is a good idea. If only it was more widespread. For example, there's no reason why developers that release their games on digital platforms couldn't release for example 1h of their game for free as a demo. Making actual demos cost money, and now with Steam refunds it would be a logical step forward to make something like that.
So you have to download the whole game (24 gigs) just to try out 6 hours? I used to have a download cap, and that's a huge dent in the monthly quota if you have one.
Maybe they could do what some MMO's do. In fact that would be a good thing for digital downloads in general. MMO's have this thing when they let you play in some areas before you've downloaded the entire game. It's something that digital distribution needs to take advantage off especially now when the games are getting so large.

Tilted_Logic

Apr 2, 2010
What is with all the hatred for Dragon Age: Inquisition? I get people have different tastes, but no one has really said 'why' they hate it. Can someone please clarify?

I think the game is fantastic. It's got an amazing story with intriguing companions, much more open world than the previous games, plenty of choices for character builds, the ability to shape the people and environment around you through the choices you make... I get if it's not your style of game, but if you're in to RPGs, what exactly do you hate about Dragon Age: Inquisition?

As for Origin offering a trial like this, I think it's fantastic. I have plenty of friends that bought the game on the PS4 instead of the PC, so we've been unable to try the multiplayer together. Even if it ends up being sup-bar, it's still great that not only can we try it, but we aren't on a time constraint.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
I tried the multiplayer when Inquisition first came out, and it felt like it was supposed to be a "Free 2 Play" game right from the beginning, so this makes a lot of sense. I don't see why they couldn't just release the "Free 2 Play" game they wanted so badly to make separately, rather than awkwardly taping it onto a huge single-player RPG, but whatever.

The long demo for the single-player game is nice though, I hope it works out well enough to convince more studios to try it (or for EA to try it with more games, I guess).

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Tilted_Logic said:
What is with all the hatred for Dragon Age: Inquisition? I get people have different tastes, but no one has really said 'why' they hate it. Can someone please clarify?

I think the game is fantastic. It's got an amazing story with intriguing companions, much more open world than the previous games, plenty of choices for character builds, the ability to shape the people and environment around you through the choices you make... I get if it's not your style of game, but if you're in to RPGs, what exactly do you hate about Dragon Age: Inquisition?
Because most of the game is just filler crap. The large open areas feel completely artificial and they exist only because Skyrim sold a gazillion copies so now every RPG has to be set in an open world, not because it makes the game better. It really doesn't. There's more useless filler than anything else. The only companions that are good (IMO) are from previous two games. The story is meh, the gameplay is somehow worse than both previous titles because they tried to appease fans of both at the same time but they ended up butchering the game. They should have stuck with DA2 style combat. Tactical camera is completely useless. And the fact that you have to use Dragon Age Keep to import your saves means that once EA shuts that thing down (it's inevitable) you won't be able to, so you pretty much have to keep your saves forever. It feels like a game designed using a checklist, not like a game designed with love and actual thought behind it. It's a perfect example of everything that's wrong with the AAA industry.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
regalphantom said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
Wait, this is multiplayer? What's it like exactly? Can you enjoy the story just as well as in Singleplayer, or is it changed in some way?
The multiplayer is similar to ME3's multiplayer, go through a simple level with other players, fight your way through waves of bad-guys with a boss at the end, get exp, loot and gold, which is spent to level up characters, buy new ones, and get better items for harder difficulties. Not the deepest multiplayer, but surprisingly entertaining. It is also worth noting that the multiplayer is separate from the single player entirely.
Ah bugger, I thought it was a co-op campaign thing. Thanks for the info though. Might give it a shot anyway.