Play First Level of Super Mario 64 in your Browser

NoShoes

Aug 15, 2013
Play First Level of Super Mario 64 in your Browser

All the feels!

Unity developer Erik Roystan Ross has made our dreams come true! You can now play the first level of a beautifully remastered Super Mario 64 just about anywhere by loading up the browser-compatible version Ross recreated.

Although there are some missing enemies, including the giant Chain Chomp and Big Bob-omb, and a distinct lack of red coins, this level is still rich with wind-up Bob-ombs, Goombas as far as the eye can see, and a plethora of other much-loved memories from the original game.

You can play the level by Ross' blog [http://mario64-erik.u85.net/Web.html], if that's your preference.

You can watch a run of Ross' recreation below, but wouldn't you rather spend the rest of your Monday running around Bob-omb Battlefield yourself? I know that's what I'll be doing.

How long do you think this level will stay afloat before Nintendo takes action?

Source: TechCrunch [http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/29/this-guy-remade-super-mario-64s-most-iconic-level-in-hd-and-playable-in-your-browser/]

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
On one hand, yeah, that's a pretty impressive re-creation.

On the other, I'm always a tiny bit baffled at what motivates gifted people to painstakingly re-create something that still exists and is even readily available (I bought the DS version of Mario 64 not that long ago), not to mention something whose existence is likely to invite a legal takedown, rather than making something original. Heck, a game like that in the Mario mold for the PC is something I might well enjoy.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So how long til Nintendo shut it down given to their repetition toward their fan made content of their games.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I've tried this and... IT LOOKS AMAZING! :D

It just looks as awesome as Super Mario 3D World and it looks so friggin' smooth at a steady 60 fps!

It's obviously a WIP, some details are still missing, like the Chain Chomp, the cannons (or at least where they should be), the invisible red block, the patch of flowers in the upper levels... Other than that, the animations are so friggin' smooth, the models are great, the textures look vibrant and detailed, the re-arranged music is great, everything just feels like it should!

Massive props to whoever did this and I hope Ninty isn't a major nuissance for this to get finished! :)

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
While I'm sure he did a good job, I wouldn't play it without a 360/One controller. Mouse and keyboard really isn't gonna cut it for these types of games.

Arpegus

Jan 15, 2011
Arnoxthe1 said:
While I'm sure he did a good job, I wouldn't play it without a 360/One controller. Mouse and keyboard really isn't gonna cut it for these types of games.
That was my first thought, but he has full controller support already built in. I can sadly think of actual PC ports that had less.

azurine

Jan 20, 2011
It needs work, but for an incomplete work in progress, it's pretty good!
Please don't take this down Nintendo, let them finish it, then buy it and sell it yourselves, if you're really that uppity about your fans doing stuff like this.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Scarim Coral said:
So how long til Nintendo shut it down given to their repetition toward their fan made content of their games.
Just got DMCA'd now lol.

http://mario64-erik.u85.net/Web.html

CloudFlare
4:48 PM (1 minutes ago)

to me
CloudFlare received a DMCA copyright infringement complaint regarding:

u85.net

Below is the complaint we received:

Reporter's Name: Alicia Bell
Copyright Holder's Name: Nintendo of America Inc.
Reporter's Email Address: [email protected]
Reporter's Title: Attorney for Nintendo of America Inc.
Reporter's Company Name: Miller Nash Graham & Dunn LLP
Reporter's Telephone Number: 503.224.5858
Reporter's Address: 111 S.W. Fifth Avenue Portland, OR US
Reported URLs:
http://mario64-erik.u85.net/Web.html
Original Work: The copyrighted work at issue is Nintendo?s Super Mario 64 video game (U.S. Copyright Reg. No. PA0000788138), including but not limited to the audiovisual work, computer program, music, and fictional character depictions. The web site at http://mario64-erik.u85.net/Web.html displays, and allows users to play, an electronic game that makes unauthorized use of copyright-protected features of Nintendo's Super Mario 64 video game. Nintendo requests that CloudFlare, Inc. immediately disable public access to http://mario64-erik.u85.net/Web.html

We have provided the name of your hosting provider to the reporter. Additionally, we have forwarded this complaint to your hosting provider as well.

Regards,

CloudFlare Abuse
Shame though seems like a really good version... would have liked to have given it a shot.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Goddamnit, the House of Maus Mario works pretty friggin' fast!, now it's impossible to access that browser demo :(

l0lwut

Jan 18, 2013
Typical Nintendo again. Shitting on their fans every opportunity they get. One of these days all the love and goodwill they have garnered over the years will come crashing down and they will have no-one but themselves to blame.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Kanova said:
Or, you know.

http://www.pj64-emu.com/
http://www.emuparadise.me/Nintendo_64_ROMs/Super_Mario_64_%28USA%29/40261

Do emulators count as pirating? I don't really think so.
This is why I have USB versions of all controllers. And no giant Chain-Chomp? 0/10 would not Yip, Whap, WAHOO!

(btw the mod wrath will probably be coming after you. They don't take kindly to emulation.)

cpukill

Feb 26, 2011
EHKOS said:
Kanova said:
Or, you know.

http://www.pj64-emu.com/
http://www.emuparadise.me/Nintendo_64_ROMs/Super_Mario_64_%28USA%29/40261

Do emulators count as pirating? I don't really think so.
This is why I have USB versions of all controllers. And no giant Chain-Chomp? 0/10 would not Yip, Whap, WAHOO!

(btw the mod wrath will probably be coming after you. They don't take kindly to emulation.)
The ROM's, yes, the emulators? I wouldn't think so, since the emulator itself can run homebrew games that aren't illegal.

Dead Metal

Feb 7, 2010
Callate said:

On the other, I'm always a tiny bit baffled at what motivates gifted people to painstakingly re-create something that still exists and is even readily available (I bought the DS version of Mario 64 not that long ago), not to mention something whose existence is likely to invite a legal takedown, rather than making something original. Heck, a game like that in the Mario mold for the PC is something I might well enjoy.
I got this from one of his WIP game videos a while back. Super Mario 64 is the perfect example of a 3D platformer and for many amateurs and pros in the industry it's a sort of right of passage to be able to recreate part of it, especially when they're working on their own game in the same genre.

He basically started work on this partially to see if he could and to get a feel of how it's supposed to be done before and while he's working on his own platformer. He's currently working on his very own original platformer that's inspired by Mario 64 and other 90s 3D Platformers.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Kameburger said:
Scarim Coral said:
Just got DMCA'd now lol.

Shame though seems like a really good version... would have liked to have given it a shot.
What's strange is that they DMCAed this but not Another Metroid 2 Remake(AM2R). But since Metroid 2 hasn't been redone by Nintendo, and they've given up on the franchise it seems, I can see why it hasn't.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Full Metal Bolshevik said:
2 questions.

-Why does the Escapist allows talking about emulator and even writes news about it but not piracy? Isn't it very similar?

- I tought as long as you don't profit from it, no one could stop you from using other people's ideas. Was this done for profit or was it free (publicity and such counts as revenue too).
1. It's a really touchy subject here. They have talked about some Emulator related things and using your own carts, but talking about downloading anything online, even games you do own, is a big no no. I just keep quiet usually. Posting links to those kind of sites is definitely not a wise move. (Then again, I see low content posts (and the mods' response) all the time when it's spelled out right there in the code of conduct.)

Their reasons are probably both to have a similar "cover your ass" policy to YouTube's and many other sites and also probably the rules are somewhat influenced by the administators' personal beliefs. (Hairless Mammoth does not condone the illegal downloading of games, books, cars, movies, television shows, computer programs, leaked private celebrity photos, music or cooking recipes.)

Also, emulation is not piracy. Many companies have released official emulators for backwards compatability. Though, the concept can be used for evil, like anything else. DOS box is a popular legit MS-DOS emulation program. Steam even throws it in with every old game you buy and configures it automatically, so most don't even know they have it.

2. I know US copyright law only gives a crappy, vague definition of fair use. Despite the fact this is just a proof of concept thing, that should have absolutely no effect on Nintendo's Mario 64 Virtual Console sales, they will lash out like this, and can usually win just with a threat of legal action. Square Enix loved to do cease and desists with tons of Chrono Trigger fan projects and only released a DS port of Trigger 3 years after the most of them happens. They call it "protecting their IP." I call it spitting in their fans' eyes, even if IPs laws mean they have to protect their trademark.
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
What's strange is that they DMCAed this but not Another Metroid 2 Remake(AM2R). But since Metroid 2 hasn't been redone by Nintendo, and they've given up on the franchise it seems, I can see why it hasn't.
I hope they don't notice it. I still have the sweet demo in case they do a C&D. They did say they were thinking about what to do with Metroid (and might slip some info in the E3 Nintendo Direct that they have a year of work done on one or two games). I guess the good news if they did shut AM2R down, it means thay are about to release new games (and he can always "leak" a (semi-) finished build afterwards).

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
l0lwut said:
Typical Nintendo again. Shitting on their fans every opportunity they get. One of these days all the love and goodwill they have garnered over the years will come crashing down and they will have no-one but themselves to blame.
There's love and goodwill for Nintendo? Where? Since the Wii "hardcore gamers" have had a hatred of anything made or touched by Nintendo and are quick to scream blame and hatred for anything they say and do, even if they would cheer if another company did it.

Hell, how is this "shitting on your fans at every opportunity" No, seriously, how? If I went and copied the first few hours of Bloodborne in its entirety, then uploaded it for PCs, would you be on my side when Sony sued my ass to oblivion? Or would you say that Sony (or From Software) had a right to take down my stuff?

EndlessSporadic

May 20, 2009
I don't blame Nintendo for this one, but that DMCA letter was aggressive and very arrogant-sounding. Instead of asking for it to be taken down, they were like "Take this down now. Oh, we've reported this to the police. Kthxbai".

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Dead Metal said:
Callate said:

I got this from one of his WIP game videos a while back. Super Mario 64 is the perfect example of a 3D platformer and for many amateurs and pros in the industry it's a sort of right of passage to be able to recreate part of it, especially when they're working on their own game in the same genre.

He basically started work on this partially to see if he could and to get a feel of how it's supposed to be done before and while he's working on his own platformer. He's currently working on his very own original platformer that's inspired by Mario 64 and other 90s 3D Platformers.
That's good to know. Thanks.

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
xaszatm said:
There's love and goodwill for Nintendo? Where? Since the Wii "hardcore gamers" have had a hatred of anything made or touched by Nintendo and are quick to scream blame and hatred for anything they say and do, even if they would cheer if another company did it.

Hell, how is this "shitting on your fans at every opportunity" No, seriously, how? If I went and copied the first few hours of Bloodborne in its entirety, then uploaded it for PCs, would you be on my side when Sony sued my ass to oblivion? Or would you say that Sony (or From Software) had a right to take down my stuff?
Super Mario 64 is not Bloodborne. Super Mario 64 is an eighteen year old game, made for an eighteen year old console. It would be like EA getting butthurt because somebody made an HTML5 implementation of Command and Conquer. And that's EA, king of assholes.