Play Games for 24 Hours to Support Children's Hospitals

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Play Games for 24 Hours to Support Children's Hospitals

The Extra Life marathon seeks to prove that videogaming and pediatric care are a natural fit for each other.

Ladies and gentlemen of the Escapist Community, today I'd like to take off my Escapist Newsie hat and ask you a question: If it were possible to save the lives of children around the world by doing nothing more than playing videogames all day, would you? If you are like me, you will have asked yourself this question many times, but today I am glad to inform you that the answer is finally within your grasp. That answer has taken the form of Extra Life, a 24-Hour Game Marathon held each October to raise funds for children's hospitals. Having personally participated in the event each year since its inception, I will be returning for its fifth season, and am looking for your help to make it the resounding success it deserves to be.

Here's how it works: On Saturday, October 20th, from 8AM to 8AM, I will be be playing games. Videogames, board games, and roleplaying games are all on the table, and I'm hoping those reading this (especially you!) will sponsor my efforts via tax-deductible donations to Children's Miracle Network Hospitals. Speaking from personal experience, this is perhaps the most enjoyable way I've ever directly supported a charity, and it allows you to directly contribute to pediatric treatment and research worldwide.

Extra Life was started in 2008 by Sarcastic Gamer as a way for the gaming community to directly support children's cancer research. The charity's partnership with Children's Miracle Network Hospitals now allows individual participants to earmark funds for specific hospitals in the US, UK, Canada, and Australia. Extra Life has successfully raised $2 million for children's hospitals, including $1.1 million in 2011 alone. That little detail was more than enough to convince me that an entire day of gaming could be time well-spent.

If you'd be interested in supporting me, <a href=http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=33142>please stop by my sponsor page and make a donation. Any amount will be accepted, but since I've set a personal goal of $1000, contributions of at least $24 dollars ($1 per hour) would be awesome. Alternatively, if you think this opportunity is too incredible to pass up yourself, you can <a href=http://www.extra-life.org/register2012>sign up for the event to enjoy a full day of gaming confident in the knowledge that your fundraising efforts will directly help kids around the world.

So how about it, people? Let's show the world yet again what gamers can do.

WHEN: October 20, 2012 @ 8am (Or choose a date that works for your schedule)

WHERE: Anywhere you like to game (Most people play from home!)

GAME/PLATFORM: Play any games on any platforms you want including mobile devices!

HOW IT WORKS: Simply ask your friends and family to sponsor your efforts. They can make a monthly pledge or a one-time gift. Then, have a seat and play games on October 20th.

WHO IT BENEFITS: Gamers select the children's hospital they want to play for during registration. In the US and Canada there are more than 170 CMN Hospitals to choose from. Players may also choose to play for hospitals in the UK and Australia.

As always you can register for Extra Life absolutely free, however we'd like you to consider the $15 Platinum option, which makes you eligible to receive lot's of goodies and prizes throughout the campaign, including the official 2012 Extra Life T-shirt when you hit $200 in funds raised.

Thank you for stopping by, and thanks for a taking a few minutes to join our fight to save kids' lives.

For more information, check out the <a href=http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=cms.page&id=1005&eventID=508>Extra Life FAQ.

Source: <a href=http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.event&eventID=508>Extra Life

Extra Life is not an Escapist sponsored event, and the decision to participate in the marathon is entirely my own.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Pfft, I game for 24 hours everyday! That was sarcastic, Jeez.

I don't see any one of my friends or family sponsoring this but I'll still do the 24-hour marathon anyway.

Maybe record it.

Possibly die at the end.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I could do it, but some offhand comments that i made in the past concerning charities in general would just get me raised eyebrows and piercing glares if i asked anyone i know to sponsor me for a charity event...

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
TF2 for 24 hours would be perfect for finishing all the MANN UP missions

WickedFire

Apr 25, 2011
Actually interested in this, but how does one sign up for UK hospitals? I've looked at the site and can't find anywhere that includes UK based locations.

EDIT: Never mind, figured it out.

6SteW6

Mar 25, 2011
Aww man, I'm going to be doing that everyweekend in the month of October anyway, don't you know that's when enemy unknown comes out?!

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Sitting on The Witcher 2 for 24 hours doesn't sound too hard. I just got lost for about 5 hours with ease.

Not sure I'll be able to take part though seeing as it'll be a weekend, and I happen to work all weekend. Everything happens on the weekend, damn.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Up for a marathon Desert Bus anyone?
Or I might get three friends and do Boderlands 2, could get a nice amount with four people working on it.

Seaf The Troll

Jul 6, 2010
just be sure to move about every now and then. And not die like to folk in China and Japan. Owhat got posted in the escapist some where a while back.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
WickedFire said:
Actually interested in this, but how does one sign up for UK hospitals? I've looked at the site and can't find anywhere that includes UK based locations.

How did you do it I can't find it.

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
I'm registering but I'm really not sure if I can raise very much money but what the hay every penny counts, right?

I think I'll try playing tribes for the majority of the duration of the thing...

WickedFire

Apr 25, 2011
getoffmycloud said:
WickedFire said:

On the sign up page, rather than searching for a hospital just go straight to the registration. After selecting the type, Classic or Platinum, a whole list of registration questions appears, one of which includes a drop-down list that has a few UK hospitals on it.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
WickedFire said:
getoffmycloud said:
WickedFire said:

On the sign up page, rather than searching for a hospital just go straight to the registration. After selecting the type, Classic or Platinum, a whole list of registration questions appears, one of which includes a drop-down list that has a few UK hospitals on it.
Awesome thanks very much. have a fish shaped chip

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
These types of things confuse me, what does donating money to this charity have to do with playing games for 24 hours? This same question applies to all charities that revolve around doing some other unrelated activity (I'm looking at you running &#3232;_&#3232; ). It seems like if I want to donate money I can just donate money. It must be a psychology thing.

Don't get me wrong, I'll do it, I just don't get the concept.

Also, second question, am I allowed to take breaks for things like eating/peeing or should I play wearing a diaper?

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
OlasDAlmighty said:
These types of things confuse me, what does donating money to this charity have to do with playing games for 24 hours? This same question applies to all charities that revolve around doing some other unrelated activity (I'm looking at you running &#3232;_&#3232; ). It seems like if I want to donate money I can just donate money. It must be a psychology thing.

Don't get me wrong, I'll do it, I just don't get the concept.

Also, second question, am I allowed to take breaks for things like eating/peeing or should I play wearing a diaper?
Its a way to get people to pay attention to a charity using a method they don't usually see to catch their eye. More attention = more money.

Also, I assume you can take toilet and food breaks. Not being able to would be silly.