Play Gwent Outside of The Witcher 3 In Tabletop Simulator

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Play Gwent Outside of The Witcher 3 In Tabletop Simulator

Want to play Gwent without having to boot up The Witcher 3? Now you can!

While The Witcher 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/the%20witcher%203%20wild%20hunt?os=the+witcher+3+wild+hunt] has plenty of monster-slaying, role-playing, and girl-wooing, it also has Gwent, a fully-functional fictional in-game card game with dozens of unique cards and its own set of rules. Until now, the only way to get your Gwent fix has been to boot up the game and find an innkeeper or merchant willing to play. However, some crafty modders have managed to re-create the entire game within Tabletop Simulator, giving players not only a way to play Gwent outside of The Witcher 3, but also a way to play it multi-player.

Gwent mod [http://store.steampowered.com/app/286160/] is a completely free download, requiring only the base Tabletop Simulator to play.

[gallery=4259]

The Tabletop Simulator version of Gwent is for two players, and doesn't have any sort of AI opponents as of yet. The game is an unofficial mod which means it has it's fair share of bugs and glitches, but hey, it works!

If you're confused on how this whole Gwent thing works, CD Projekt Red actually published a handy tutorial [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhnhf8VMmhM] for the game the other week, to co-incide with some free Gwent DLC for The Witcher 3.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/unofficial-gwent-mod-comes-to-tabletop-simulator/]

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
RaikuFA said:
Can I play EDH in this?
Jep, there's a bunch of EDH mods with prebuilt decks in the workshop and you can combine those with any other Magic mod to make your own decks. TTS takes a while to get used to though.

I gave Gwent a go a few days ago. Much more fun against a human player.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Juan Regular said:
RaikuFA said:
Can I play EDH in this?
Jep, there's a bunch of EDH mods with prebuilt decks in the workshop and you can combine those with any other Magic mod to make your own decks. TTS takes a while to get used to though.

I gave Gwent a go a few days ago. Much more fun against a human player.
YES!!! SUCK IT WIZARDS!!! THATS WHAT YOU GET FOR NEGLECTING EDH IN YOUR GAMES!!!

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
RaikuFA said:
YES!!! SUCK IT WIZARDS!!! THATS WHAT YOU GET FOR NEGLECTING EDH IN YOUR GAMES!!!
EDH is neglected? I dunno, I don't play it personally, but AFAIK many cards in new expansions are created with EDH in mind. Whenever a new expansion comes out, the EDH crowd in my local gaming store as well as people on forum go "OMG, this card will TOTALLY FIT my Commander deck!". It seems like 80% of Rare cards which are not viable in competitive play, are in some shape or form viable for EDH.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Neat. This could easily be expanded into a more complex game if they added some more intricate mechanics. There's definitely strategy, but simply putting as many spies into your deck as possible seems to make winning pretty easy.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
What annoys me about Gwent is that if I play a spy the computer can dummy it back to its hand to play it itself the following turn.

If the computer plays a spy I cannot dummy it back to my hand. Which is bollocks. I can medic the fucker the following round, but not dummy it during it.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
kurupt87 said:
If the computer plays a spy I cannot dummy it back to my hand. Which is bollocks. I can medic the fucker the following round, but not dummy it during it.
What? I can in my game. The only spy I cannot dummy is the Hero one, which is because you cannot dummy Heros.

My first turn of Gwent (when playing nilfguard, which is normally my default) is pretty much spent bouncing spys back and fourth.

MJpoland

Legacy
Jan 12, 2011
Country
Poland
kurupt87 said:
What annoys me about Gwent is that if I play a spy the computer can dummy it back to its hand to play it itself the following turn.

What? This is not true. I do this all the time.

There is a hero spy though that's frequently used by AI. As with any hero cards, you can't replace them by dummies.

EDIT: NINJA'd

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I see people have been using this to make all sorts of board games, is this legal? I mean, it seems a bit dodgy playing FFG's Battlestar Galactica board game when you haven't bought it and play it on something they aren't selling. People even have their X-Wing Miniatures on the workshop, it just seems kinda shady to me.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
chozo_hybrid said:
I see people have been using this to make all sorts of board games, is this legal? I mean, it seems a bit dodgy playing FFG's Battlestar Galactica board game when you haven't bought it and play it on something they aren't selling. People even have their X-Wing Miniatures on the workshop, it just seems kinda shady to me.
I guess the big thing is that they are not selling it. They are not cashing in on Battlestar Galactica's name, so there probably isn't much they can do.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Yossarian1507 said:
It seems like 80% of Rare cards which are not viable in competitive play, are in some shape or form viable for EDH.
It's incredible what's viable in a format if you take out counterspells and intentionally slow the game down.

This does leave the amusing puzzle of cards like Reap Intellect, which are simply bad in every format.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Yossarian1507 said:
RaikuFA said:
EDH is neglected? I dunno, I don't play it personally, but AFAIK many cards in new expansions are created with EDH in mind. Whenever a new expansion comes out, the EDH crowd in my local gaming store as well as people on forum go "OMG, this card will TOTALLY FIT my Commander deck!". It seems like 80% of Rare cards which are not viable in competitive play, are in some shape or form viable for EDH.
In video games it is. And at my local game store. People won't play it there cause it's "not hardcore enough"

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
chozo_hybrid said:
I guess the big thing is that they are not selling it. They are not cashing in on Battlestar Galactica's name, so there probably isn't much they can do.
Maybe they don't know or don't mind. Because they are reproducing their game so people can play it free* I believe they can issue a cease and desist. Think of all the mods that get shut down, like the Lord of the Rings Oblivion mod etc. There is precedence, I did a little reading over night.

*By buying the much cheaper simulator of course.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
chozo_hybrid said:
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
chozo_hybrid said:
Maybe they don't know or don't mind. Because they are reproducing their game so people can play it free* I believe they can issue a cease and desist. Think of all the mods that get shut down, like the Lord of the Rings Oblivion mod etc. There is precedence, I did a little reading over night.

*By buying the much cheaper simulator of course.
Saying that though, it is a mini game of a larger game that they are selling. I bet there are mods for Triple Triad and Tetra Master from the Final Fantasy games too that are ignored because the companies don't really mind.

I doubt CD Projekt RED see Gwent as the major selling point of their huge expansive RPG... but just a cool add on. Maybe they will be watching the downloads of the MOD to see if it is worth releasing their own official port? I bet they didn't think it would be that popular. They could gauge whether people would play it, then set up servers/leagues/scoring etc. Or they will just let it go... it's not like there is any other way to play it multiplayer like that.

Also... on that front... people are odd beasts. TCGs survive on the sole reason that people really like owning and collecting cards. Thnk about it... if games like Magic and Pokemon were just about playing the game, then why would you buy any cards at all? Why not just print images off of the internet and play the game with those decks? The only thing stopping us is that weird feeling that we are cheating the system somehow. Gwent on the other hand you don't have that feeling. There is no other way (bar making cards yourself) to play with friends, so you emulate.