Play in the Elder Scrolls Online Beta This Weekend

GoGoFrenzy

Mar 13, 2012
Yeah I don't do facebook since a long time ago so screw this.

Edit: Just gave my email--all i did-- and received code.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Olas said:
The links all take me to some website called Lockerdome where it looks like I have to have an account, but when I go to click the "sign up" button it asks me whether I want to sign up through Facebook or Twitter. Do you need to have a Facebook or Twitter account to participate in this? Because I don't have either and I'm not going to create 2 accounts with 2 different websites just so I can be a free beta tester for 3 days.
That is my understanding is that you would need to go to Lockerdome and do the five actions listed for the beta key and you would need to create 3 accounts for you would need to make a Lockerdome one as well. I could be wrong and if I am I found the site to be misleading.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Nurb said:
Why do they need to only have "beta weekends"? They want people to test servers, including high level and PVP content, but getting there over a couple days makes is very difficult
For the past two beta tests, and now this one coming up, your character persists through to the following beta's. So you can slowly get higher and experience the higher level stuff.

I think there's a few reasons why it's a beta weekend only and not just a full persistent beta. For one, these are stress tests. They want to get as many people online and stressing the servers as possible. If you limit the amount of time that the beta is active for, you will concentrate the number of players that are playing it during that smaller time, instead of having them spread out over the longer period. Secondly, having it only last a weekend allows them to have the game open for a few days, receive all of the feedback and criticism and bug reports of the game, and then take the game offline to address and fix the issues. This is probably a lot easier than having to to hotfixes or patches or periodically taking the game offline to implement a fix. Thirdly, maybe they don't want people to be experiencing and spoiling some of the higher level content just yet, but this is my most tenuous point.

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
I don't understand this. It looks like you have to do all the things and get 45 entries to get a key, but wording implies you only have to do 1 thing. Next, it is unclear whether you get a key right away, or is it a chance to get a key some time in the future.

I got 15/45, no key in my mail. And some shady website I've never head of has my info. I regret getting into this.

edit: Many thanks to Greg Tito, now I have a key. :)

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
My beta invite came with a buddy key so if anyone not interested enough to mess with facebook or twitter wants it just send me a message. I won't advertise for a competitor of the escapist's sister site but there is a website that's kinda into mmorpgs which has 4k keys left.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Because I'm a nice guy (or a terrible person)

9353CKXWTYLKTW46KMKH

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
barbzilla said:
Yeah, I ended up with 2 bonus keys. If someone needs one, and doesn't want to do the page advertised in the OP just send me a PM and I'll hook the first two people up.

As a side note, the NDA has been lifted, so I pray that they have their stuff in order this weekend and that it doesn't go down like last weekend.
That's a novel idea. Most my friends are shooter fans. If anyone wants the extra code send a PM. I'll be home check back at 4:30pm CST. First come, first served. Good luck to all, regardless.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I've got a key for anyone who wants it. PM or something if you want it.

OT: I'm not even interested in this game anymore. I've been invited to the beta four times now and have zero interest in playing. I can't judge with experience since I haven't played it, but from the outside looking in. It looks like complete crap.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
CriticKitten said:
So all I have to do in order to get a beta key to a game that I don't know if I'll like or not....is provide the game with free advertisement on my Facebook, Twitter, and other social media.

Nope, sorry. That's not how it works. You provide me with a good product, and I'll boast the hell out of it. But you don't try to bribe me into advertising it for you before I've even played it. Count me out.
Well the advertising isn't for the game itself as much as it is for the escapist. Honestly I have no issues liking the escapist on social media, so it isn't a big deal there. I just think that the giveaway page should be adjusted a bit to reflect the actual numbers and to let people know if they are wasting their time or not. Then again, since I'd like the escapist on facebook for the asking, it really isn't a huge deal.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
CriticKitten said:
barbzilla said:
Well the advertising isn't for the game itself as much as it is for the escapist. Honestly I have no issues liking the escapist on social media, so it isn't a big deal there. I just think that the giveaway page should be adjusted a bit to reflect the actual numbers and to let people know if they are wasting their time or not. Then again, since I'd like the escapist on facebook for the asking, it really isn't a huge deal.
I think for me it's more the notion that I'm meant to advertise anyone in exchange for "goodies".

I'd much rather just be treated well by the dev/site/group/whatever, offered a good product with good customer service, and then in exchange I'm free to give out what I feel is deserved praise of my own accord. 'cuz that's how things are meant to work: good treatment = good word-of-mouth = return/repeat/new customers. But....that's just me, I guess.
I don't disagree with you, but the escapist has been suffering lower and lower traffic numbers, so this may be an attempt to get the word out. I typically re-tweet or re-facebook (post I guess)any interesting science articles they write about to help get the word out, but outside of that I do feel it is their job to advertise for themselves. Either way, I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to be click baited for a prize. If you need/want a key I still have some more to give away without any strings or reposting required.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Wish I'd given my one away when I had it. Eight hours to download and install, two hours before I got stone bored with it.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
I'll put in my 2 cents about this whole spiel:

---Because I was in their very 1st Stress Test, I got an email re-inviting me for this weekend's Beta Test

---I also have an invite for Wildstar for this Weekend's Beta Test on that game.

Which one have I chosen?

I'll give you a hint: It's not TESO. The game is drab, boring, and just a travel simulator. Wildstar is far more exciting and interesting, with a far more "fun" style going about it. So, I'll elect not to enter this contest (which it is a contest instead of a giveaway) and advise others to do the same by telling them to: Stay away from TESO.

nyysjan

Mar 12, 2010
for context, The Secret World is a fully voice acted mmo from Funcom, takes 38 gigs of space, and very little content to it (many funny hats though).
So having 48 gigs now is not that huge a deal, i just hope content matches the container. :)

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
MAJOR TIP!!!

If you are currently playing you will likely be getting stuck in NPC conversations a lot, where the conversations end but you just end up staring at the NPC convo screen.You could type "/reloadui" all the time or just hit the ['] button twice. This opens the Mail interface and ejects you from conversations, hitting it twice opens then closes it, setting you free.

END TIP

Impression so far (15 hours in):

I find that I keep wondering "Why is this a MMO I should pay $15-20 a month for... as opposed to just the next singleplayer installment of The Elder Scrolls?". When really I feel that it just should have been a single player game but the idea of that monthly cash grab was just too much...

People ingame keep saying "But there is WVW and a guild driven economy!", well... big whoop... There's a ton of FTP games with those exact features, done from what I hear significantly better. Also guild driven economy is it really that big of a draw card???

Don't get me wrong there are things I loved... but they were mostly just the things I already loved about Skyrim, but spread out just enough to make walking between them annoying.

As much as I'd consider it, I probably won't be buying this. (Also yes I'm aware it's a beta, which is why I looked past the graphics, glitches and non-spawning quest mobs), what I actually had a problem with was the feeling that I'd be paying $70 for the game (which I would gladly pay for the single player version) and $15 a month for useless traffic...