Play Mirror's Edge In 2D

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
Play Mirror's Edge In 2D

Feeling a little dizzy from playing Mirror's Edge in 3D? You might want to try it minus a dimension instead.

For some, precariously running around full-speed at immense heights and leaping across dangerous gaps between building rooftops in a fully 3D, first-person perspective might deliver a side order of motion sickness with your immersive gaming experience. Fortunately for you, indie Flash game developer Electronic Arts [http://www.bornegames.com/] to deliver a free, Flash-based version of Mirror's Edge in 2D.

This week Borne launched a single-level beta demo [http://www.bornegames.com/?page_id=369] of Mirror's Edge 2D, and man is it looking good. The diminutive, side-scrolling Faith performs some pretty awesome moves that translate well into the second dimension. The full Flash game, also to be released for free, is expected to launch in the coming weeks. In the meantime, hop over to his site to test out the beta. Be forewarned: the heavy site traffic has strained his server, so the link may not always work on the first try. Reportedly, the situation is being remedied.

Indie gaming aficionados may recall Borne from his cool freeware platformer Fancy Pants Adventures [http://armorgames.com/play/301/fancy-pants-adventures]. This partnership with a major publisher may spell big things for the guy. He does good work.

Also, the 2D Flash rendition of Mirror's Edge should occupy PC gamers for the next month or so, while they wait for the actual PC version of EA's title to launch in January 2009 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87375-Mirrors-Edge-For-PC-Coming-In-January]. The Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the game launched this week.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Wooo....that was excellent. Like Prince Of Persia except with an amazing sense of constant movement and speed. Needs more ninja flips.

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
This is awsome. I know it is an advertizing ploy from EA but there need to be more advertizing ploys like this.

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
Went through the level like 4 times and I have to admit, EA deserves a pat on the head from me for once.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
This is a shameless advertising ploy I can get behind!

Looks awesome, nice to see flash games are being acknowledge for their influence and power.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Indie gaming aficionados may recall Borne from his cool freeware platformer Fancy Pants Adventures. This partnership with a major publisher may spell big things for the guy. He does good work.
Those games rocked.

*tries Mirror's Edge 2D, already knowing if it's anything like Fancy Pants it'll be just as good.*

Okay, yeah, that was pretty damn fun :D

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
This reminds me a lot of the "Portal: 2D Flash version".

It's nice to see new opportunities for indie devs.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
HobbesMkii said:
calelogan said:
Yes, it smacks of the Portal Flash game. Suspiciously so, I think.
Yer, the city in mirrors edge looks a hell of alot like aparture science too. They're both scarily clean.

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
HobbesMkii said:
calelogan said:
Yes, it smacks of the Portal Flash game. Suspiciously so, I think.
Yer, the city in mirrors edge looks a hell of alot like aparture science too. They're both scarily clean.
CONSPIRACY

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
Wow. I may have enjoyed that Flash demo more than I enjoyed the 3D Mirror's Edge demo... I'm looking forward to the full release.

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
this is a great game. i play it far too much already. fancy pants adventure is great, and the art is really cool. i really like this new offering from the guy

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
That was really fun, wow. I usually hate 2d platformers but the constant feeling of movement and speed really makes it.

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
Y'know, you always hear that gamers all jaded and cynical. And yet, presented with an obvious, admittedly awesome, publicity stunt we all support it wholeheartedly. I think this just goes to show that gamers, at their core, are all about having fun.

Release the same game 10 years in a row, and we'll call you on it, because it's boring.

Exploit a popular indie developer to get some extra press for your new release, and we're cool with that. Nobody got hurt, an indie dude got paid, and we all had fun. Hell, it might even work and convince some people to pick up ME.