Play of the Game

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
Ah, Bastion players. I never tire of seeing them gloat knowing full well of how a massive nerf is heading their way.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Last play of the game I saw was a junkrat killing two people with his ult, me resurrecting them and them stomping the junkrat. Good times.

crimsonspear4D

Sep 26, 2009
Truer stories have never been shown. I could snipe 6 people in a row (a rare occurance if I do say so myself), kill a tank single-handedly with Mei or Lucio, or strafe an entire team with Tracer and I'll still get Kanye'd by some Bastion player who just stood out in the open like a dick and mowed down a couple of people, WTF!

I've been playing this game for a week now, and it seems like it's mostly Bastion, Hanzo, and Reaper players that get the PotG, I should know because I've got a few as them.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
It's really weird when it comes to Bastion getting Play of the Day.

Get a quad-kill with an Ult on any character? Too bad, Bastion killed two enemies in turret mode.
Heal/revive a whole bunch of teammates in a clutch moment? Nope, Bastion, this time he killed three enemies.
Do literally the best playing of your entire life, single-handedly bringing your team to victory? This time, Bastion used his Ult. Didn't hit anything with it, but the use somehow dictates he's Play of the Game. Maybe 'cause of the cute beep he does when he goes into tank mode? You'll never know.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Burnouts3s3 said:
Ah, Bastion players. I never tire of seeing them gloat knowing full well of how a massive nerf is heading their way.
Seriously, I'm not asking for much, but any of the following is all they need in order to make Bastion's turret mode more balanced:

1: Make Bastion more squishy.
2: Cap his look speed while in turret mode so he can't just snap between targets.
3: Reduce his aim window from 360 degrees to 180 so that sneaking around behind him becomes a viable tactic.
4: Make it so he can't reload while in turret form.

Oh, also the fact that he's completely immune to Reinhardt's ult while in turret form is the highest form of bullshit that I've seen in this game. xP

Edit: I'm not entirely innocent if I'm being honest, though, as my best Defense hero isn't much better: Torbjorn.

I'd say this sums things up nicely:

Catface Meowmers

Bless My Nippers!
Aug 29, 2010
I get the most plays of the game with Junkrat's ult, which can sometimes require a small bit of skill or risk, like hoping it'll survive long enough to get past a Reinhardt shield, or hoping the other team will stay huddled together even after hearing the ult go off.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
crimsonspear4D said:
I've been playing this game for a week now, and it seems like it's mostly Bastion, Hanzo, and Reaper players that get the PotG, I should know because I've got a few as them.
I got 12 PotG's yesterday as Reaper, 5 of them in a row. And when I don't get PotG it's usually Hanzo or Bastion I see getting them, so yeah, you're not wrong.

Newage

Aug 21, 2014
Burnouts3s3 said:
Unlikely considering he saw little play at "pro" (yes I know the scene in beta wasn't that big) level. And since balance is based around that...

RJ 17 said:
Oh, also the fact that he's completely immune to Reinhardt's ult while in turret form is the highest form of bullshit that I've seen in this game.
He isn't. Reinhardt's ult takes him out of both turret and tank configuration, just like the charge.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Ah Bastion the robot powered by salt.

But seriously people who think Bastion is OP need to learn how counter pick. Bastion is the easiest character to counter pick in the game.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Eric the Orange said:
Ah Bastion the robot powered by salt.

But seriously people who think Bastion is OP need to learn how counter pick. Bastion is the easiest character to counter pick in the game.
Regardless of how easy he can be to counter with the right character, the fact remains that the damage he puts out in that turret mode is ridiculous. If he gets in a vantage point up on a ledge or something and catches people unaware, he can mow down an entire team in seconds, I've seen him do it. That kind of damage outside of an Ult is OP.

suzaku4489

Jun 8, 2010
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Regardless of how easy he can be to counter with the right character, the fact remains that the damage he puts out in that turret mode is ridiculous. If he gets in a vantage point up on a ledge or something and catches people unaware, he can mow down an entire team in seconds, I've seen him do it. That kind of damage outside of an Ult is OP.
It's called balance, something everyone thinks they can do, but they really haven't a clue.

Bastion deals so much damage because he is so easy to counter. Peek shot him with Mcree, Pharah, Widow (particularly effective) , Hanzo, Mei, Zenyatta, Junkrat, hook him with Roadhog, run him over with Reinhardt, catch him unaware with a teleport and shotgun blast to the core with Reaper, reflect with Genji, or use his aggressiveness to charge your Zarya energy and alt-fire him to death.

Literally more than half of the heroes can counter him, so why would you choose him? Because he's got insane damage, and mows down noobs like a lawnmower from Hell. Any team with half a brain will immediately think "Ah, they have a bastion. Someone swap to a counter-pick, and force that damn bot into switching to something useful, or have him die a hundred times." If a character could be countered by literally everyone else, I'd expect him to be God-tier in a few categories to justify its existence.

I had a game I stepped out the door, and watched several members get mowed down by 5 bastions. Immediately turned around, swapped to Widow, and proceeded to turn each one of them into scrap, 2 shots at a time. The match was over in minutes, with one of the easiest victories I've ever had. It's all about the counter picks.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Newage said:
RJ 17 said:
Oh, also the fact that he's completely immune to Reinhardt's ult while in turret form is the highest form of bullshit that I've seen in this game.
He isn't. Reinhardt's ult takes him out of both turret and tank configuration, just like the charge.
Oh I beg to differ, considering how I used my ult on a turret Bastion last night, knocked the Mercy that was standing right beside him on her ass, and yet he continued to unload directly into my face.

Obbi

May 7, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
Counterpicking for a particular setup is fair advice for this game, where switching characters is relatively seamless. However, I feel like it falls apart a bit when Bastion is the only hero where you hear this advice.

Newage

Aug 21, 2014
RJ 17 said:
Newage said:
RJ 17 said:
Oh I beg to differ, considering how I used my ult on a turret Bastion last night, knocked the Mercy that was standing right beside him on her ass, and yet he continued to unload directly into my face.
You can disagree all you want, I played 40 hours of Reinhardt in closed beta, I think I know how his ult works.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Newage said:
You can disagree all you want, I played 40 hours of Reinhardt in closed beta, I think I know how his ult works.
And your hours of play mean a grand total of jack and squat to me since I know what I did, I know what I saw, and I know that my ult was utterly ignored by Bastion.

Newage

Aug 21, 2014
RJ 17 said:
Newage said:
And your hours of play mean a grand total of jack and squat to me since I know what I did, I know what I saw, and I know that my ult was utterly ignored by Bastion.
You honestly didn't say much about what you saw. Earthshatter can get LoSed by terrain elements, like small pillars and lamp posts. It can also be countered by a few things (barriers and Zarya's bubbles are the typical ones). If you had a video, you could probably find a good culprit as to why it didn't work, but I can assure you that Earthshatter works on turret configuration Bastions (fun fact, it also works on Torbjorn turrets).

Apr 28, 2008

he can be infuriating. Makes it all the more satisfying when I chain him as roadhog. Though it's still usually him in potg or trobjorn putsing about while his turret kills everyone.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Newage said:
RJ 17 said:
Newage said:
You honestly didn't say much about what you saw. Earthshatter can get LoSed by terrain elements, like small pillars and lamp posts. It can also be countered by a few things (barriers and Zarya's bubbles are the typical ones). If you had a video, you could probably find a good culprit as to why it didn't work, but I can assure you that Earthshatter works on turret configuration Bastions (fun fact, it also works on Torbjorn turrets).
Map: Hanamura
Side: Offense
Cap Point: B
Approach: from the left flank entrance (the one with the deck that the Hanzo/Genji animation ends on).
Bastion's Position: Up the small stairs against the left wall directly to the left of the entrance I'm coming through. I know he's there, that's why I'm taking this approach.
Event: Walk into the room and turn immediately to my left and raise shield. Stomp up the stairs to push into melee range. Clear shot with Bastion right in front of me and an enemy Mercy right beside him.
Outcome: I ult, Mercy falls, Bastion keeps firing.
Killcam: Bastion unloading against my shield...then me as my ult fires. Bastion takes one swing from my hammer before he kills me.

If I had the video evidence I would happily provide it, sadly my description will have to suffice.

Edit: And to be clear, I WANT you to be right. Best case scenario I got screwed over by some weird bug/glitch, worst case scenario they changed things since your time as Reinhardt during the beta. I certainly hope it's the former, but I know for a fact I had a clean shot of Bastion within range and he completely ignored my ult.