Play Real Life Asteroids at Gaming Festival

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Play Real Life Asteroids at Gaming Festival

An upcoming festival in Brooklyn will let players play massive games that include live-action versions of classic Atari titles.

If you're a gamer near Brooklyn who's looking for a new way to play some classic arcade titles -as well as some crazy live-action games with hundreds of other players- you're definitely in luck. A two day-long festival is coming to the city in a couple of weeks that is designed to "explore the limits of play" through different neighborhoods.

Brooklyn Lyceum and will allow players the opportunity to partake in dozens of games. Reading through descriptions of the various games on the docket, the whole festival sounds like a blast.

The games in the festival span the spectrum of genres, but videogame players are probably going to be interested in the live-action versions of Asteroids (where you'll have to shoot "human asteroids") and Kaboom! (requiring players to catch black water balloons dropped by someone running back and forth across a massive balcony). Also, the festival's official website talks about some other games that might appeal to this type of gamer: "Players will track each other in high-tech hide-&-seek games like <a href=http://comeoutandplay.org/2010_hali.php>HALI and <a href=http://comeoutandplay.org/2010_geomelee.php>Geo Melee. These games break free of TVs and tiny cellphone screens and return the action to the great outdoors."

Of course, there are also games that don't rely on iPhones as play tools. One particularly interesting and imaginative title is <a href=http://comeoutandplay.org/2010_unwrittenstorybook.php>Unwritten Storybook, which was created by Walt Disney Imagineering: "Playing the heroes of this real-world adventure across Brooklyn, your interactions with other teams of characters will determine whether you live as allies or enemies. All stories culminate in a festive gathering where the characters assemble together to write the final chapter over a feast of food and cider."

The whole festival sounds, quite honestly, amazing. And fun. And like something that any gamer would be proud to be a part of. The best part, though, is that the festival is totally free to enter into; if you're in the Queens, NY, area and have some free time to participate in the event, you should definitely check it out.

(Image)

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I approve of any event where real-life recreation of video games occurs. I'm sure even an out of shape nerd like myself would find it highly entertaining.

Four and a half stars!

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
Wow, something interesting near me. But it would take two hours to get their so I'll pass.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Intresting little event. Wish I could cross pond to attend!

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Fuck, I thought real life asteroids as in real real life asteroids. The ones in space. Damn, that would be awesome. though if someone were to hack the game, we'd be royally fucked.

Taco of flames

May 30, 2009
Fetch me my teleporter! We're off to Brooklyn! ... What do you mean, we don't have a teleporter? Damn it.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
Real life Tetris.

Sounds like a giant, and, considering the visible majority of gamers, gay orgy.

Although it would probably suck for the people on the bottom. And yes, tetris has to be vertical.

And bottom rows blow up with conventional explosives.

Okay, this is more like a genocide now, but awesome.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Bang bang you're broken up into two smaller asteroids travelling perpendicullary to your previous route! No takebacks!

Apr 28, 2008
Flying-Emu said:
Man, all the cool stuff happens on the East Coast. Except PAX.
That changed with PAX East :p

EDIT: Sounds interesting. But New York is many hours away. And I need to work then, so... yeah, shame I can't go.

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
why do all the people that live near cool things go meh whatever when everyone else is all OMGWTF IS TAT I WISH I WAHS TERE

daw...

Mezzo.

Nov 19, 2009
That Unwritten Storybook thing sounds like so much fun. :(

Fucking Texas. >:U

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
Jaredin said:
Intresting little event. Wish I could cross pond to attend!
Same. Pretty unfortunate really because this sounds brilliant. Last event, the Roleplaying one, sounds alot like normal LARPing though, doesnt matter really however. I hope it goes well so it can start branching around the world :D