Playboy to Launch Online Gaming Label

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Playboy to Launch Online Gaming Label

Move over Kongregate, there's a new player in town, and it seems to have brought bunnies with it.

In the same way you might claim that you only read Playboy for the articles, soon you'll be able to say you only visit the Playboy website for the games. As part of a strategy to make its brand more mainstream, Playboy Enterprises will create an online gaming label and has partnered with German online gaming giant Bigpoint [http://www.bigpoint.net/?lang=en] to create and distribute content.

Paul H. Lee, Playboy Enterprise's managing director for new digital ventures, said that the company had found that a lot of visitors to the Playboy site also visited online gaming sites, and that one of the company's strengths was using its brand to "present quality content." Lee wouldn't reveal how much money Playboy Enterprises was putting into the venture, but said that the investment was "significant." It's not all going to be what you might think of as traditional Playboy content either, as one of the first games to appear on the site is the browser-based crime MMO Poisonville. Lee says that the company will avoid a lot of overt branding, although the familiar bunny will pop up here and there.

Playboy's previous dalliances with gaming have been limited. There's been the occasional licensing deal, as with Mafia 2 or Dead Rising 2, and the less than amazing Playboy: The Mansion, but this is a very different proposition. The combination of a very well known brand - although admittedly not well known for games - and a proven provider for the content would suggest that this new venture is off to a very good start.

Source: paidContent [http://paidcontent.org/article/419-this-isnt-farmville-playboy-kicks-off-gaming-label-with-poisonville/] via MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/40633/Playboy-forms-video-games-label]

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
In the same way you might claim that you only read Playboy for the articles, soon you'll be able to say you only visit the Playboy website for the games
If you live in the UK, you'll have noticed the number of men that seem to find the most interesting articles in The Sun are on pages 2/3. "What naked woma- oh her? I didn't even notice her."

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
It's kind of like in Mafia II where there are playboys scattered around, and the game tracks how long you look at them. It's... Different.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Why I had hunch it was a going to be a German online-giant...
Well... If someone like those kind of things, go fort it. Not condoning anyone for it.
I just got the feeling they wont be brining anything bright and new to the world of gaming.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
I can only foresee this resulting in much wanking going reasonably well for Playboy and unintruding on the lives of hardcore gamers.