Player Packs Portal Into LittleBigPlanet 2

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Player Packs Portal Into LittleBigPlanet 2

One of the funniest games around remade inside one of the cutest. What more could you ask for?

Aside from their ridiculous levels of adorability, the LittleBigPlanet games are perhaps most notable for allowing players to get creative and build their own levels. While the first game's tool kit was pretty robust, the second supposedly puts it to shame [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100562-LittleBigPlanet-2-Changes-the-Game-by-Letting-You-Design-It], with all kinds of new tricks up its sleeve.

Case in point: using the tools found in the LittleBigPlanet 2 [http://www.amazon.com/LittleBigPlanet-2-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0K780/ref=sr_1_2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1287683537&sr=1-2] beta, a player from Finland known as "EBjak [http://www.youtube.com/user/EBjak]" has put together a short level based on Valve's first-person puzzle game, Portal. "LittleBigPortal" - which, alas, is not what the level is actually called - shows off a few puzzles and a showdown with the LBP version of GLaDOS. Naturally, there is also cake, a weighted companion cube, and a song inspired by "Still Alive" at the end.

It's incredible impressive and does a great job of highlighting just how much potential the LBP2 game editor has. Sure, the level might lack that special ambience that you can only get when an insane, murderous, passive-aggressive AI is watching your every move, but I'd call it a success all the same.

LittleBigPlanet 2 comes out on PS3 in January of next year.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=271040]

Feb 13, 2008
This was a trNah, too easy.

No matter what Yahtzee says, I think that user-defined levels are going to become more commonplace, and bringing up a whole new generation of game designers.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
"LittleBigPortal" - which, alas, is not what the level is actually called -
That's funny, I was thinking more along the lines of "which, thankfully, is not what the level is actually called". Whenever I see someone call their level "LittleBig____" I tend to write them off as an uncreative person and figure their level probably isn't worth my time. Maybe that's unfair, but most of the time when I tried those levels in LBP1, I was right, so the thought pattern has stuck with me.

Anyway enough about that. I'm in the beta (somehow, although even with the V1.01 update it's still pretty broken for North American players like me) so I'll have to check this level out. Thanks for the heads up. Also it's a shame that this level will be destroyed when the full game releases (that's what the beta forums say anyway; levels made in the beta won't be there still when LBP2 comes out).

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
Looks awesome but doesn't actually look that fun. "OMG I can play Portal in LBP2!!!!" ...or I could just play Portal... which would be more fun. I appreciate the tribute though.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
very good design+ understanding of the physics
only wish it was longer, but then again, this was a beta :p

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
This was a trNah, too easy.

No matter what Yahtzee says, I think that user-defined levels are going to become more commonplace, and bringing up a whole new generation of game designers.
If they are supported well enough, sure.

There have been some fantastic user-created levels in LBP, but even most of those were tribute levels like this one. In the years that I've played LBP, I've come across only a handfull of great and original levels.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I went and played that level, and, well... Let's just say that it was more fun to just watch someone else play the level than to actually play it myself. I got stuck in the second room where that box is, because no matter what I did, I couldn't pick up the box. To be fair though, that could just be the beta. I'll be making note of this guy's PSN ID and checking out his stuff when the full game gets here.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
My mind was just blown....I truly can't comprehend how this is possible. What the hell does the level editor interface look like?
My one concern is that with such an insanely large amount of mechanics and features, some of them are bound to have issues and control problems. Even in this video, the controls don't look too good. It is the beta, and the game will be able to be patched when it's released so w/e.
I'm very intrigued. I want to know what the limitations really are. Part of me really hopes that this game won't be capable of complex recreations. I honestly hope that it WON'T be able to recreate Super Metroid or Super Mario World.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Hamster at Dawn said:
Looks awesome but doesn't actually look that fun. "OMG I can play Portal in LBP2!!!!" ...or I could just play Portal... which would be more fun. I appreciate the tribute though.
To me the most interesting thing is not that this has been done, but it can be done. Says something for the LBP2 editor, probably a lot.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
it's like flash portal but with better graphics....

still it's pretty good for a pseudo like SDK.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
While I did not play as much of LittleBigPlanet 1 as I had hoped I would, I still loved every single second I played with it. Media Molecule is on my "List of Developers to Support", so LittleBigPlanet 2 is a no-brainer for me to buy, and this only excites me further.

I can't wait to see what people are going to come up with.