Players Have Spent 12,000 Years in Borderlands 2

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
Players Have Spent 12,000 Years in Borderlands 2

Gearbox Software's Borderlands 2 has shipped five million copies to retail in just over a month.

It's been just over a month since Borderlands 2 was released, and the Gearbox Software-developed sequel has shipped over five million copies to retailers worldwide. Gearbox President Randy Pitchford called the response "incredible" in a press release from 2K Games, stating that "players have embraced Borderlands 2 as their next hobby."

Since its late September launch, players have spent 12,000 years' worth of time "shooting and looting their way through Pandora" and interacted with Claptrap in Sanctuary over 50 million times. "We are just getting started and have incredible momentum to improve and add to the game all the way through the holiday season and beyond. We can't wait to show everyone what more we have in store for Borderlands 2," Pitchford concluded. Borderlands 2 received a fifth playable character class and its first campaign add-on DLC earlier this month.

Of course, just because five million copies were shipped to stores doesn't mean the game sold that many copies, but that's usually a pretty decent indicator of how a game is selling. Borderlands sold three million copies [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98466-Borderlands-Has-Sold-3-Million-Copies] in the first four months after its October 2009 release, and it looks like the sequel is on track to surpass it.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
If that's retail, I have to imagine there's at least a million more digital copies. Everybody I know who got the game for PC did so through Steam and it's been near the top of the 'most purchased' list on Steam since its release. Right now it's number 5, putting it one slot ahead of Dishonored.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Hooray!

I'm really glad this game is doing well, and Gearbox deserves every praise they get from it.

*looks at avatar*

Why no, I'm not biased, why would you suggest that?

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Gearbox. if my Ps3 wasnt a brick right now I would own this game so fast.

Hmm. maybe my PC can run it.

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
At first I was:

Then I was:

Now I'm:

Nice job Gearbox, hopefully this makes up for Duke Nuken Forever bomb.
[sub]Seriously Borderlands 2 is Awesome and deserves all the praise it's getting and then some[/sub]

schmulki

Oct 10, 2012
Lets see, not looking at my Steam account right now, I have a level 36 Axton (I want to say I sank around 200 hours into him, since I did a lot of exploring with him), then I have a level 40 Mechromancer (I think she's up around 100-150 hours) and then a low level Sal that's around 10-20 hours. So lets call that 350 hours total.

And I've played the least out of any of my friends.

Yea, I can see how this number was hit.

Jiefu

May 24, 2010
12,000 years (or, more properly, player-years) is 105.1M player-hours

For a conservative estimate of 4M players, that's 26.3 hours per player. For a liberal estimate of 7M players, that's 15 hours per player.

You know, before anyone says "omg what if all these borderbutts tried 2cure cancar this is what is rong with humnity blah blah blah here are my personal biases" and makes a fool of themselves.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
I'm enjoying this game but can't help but feel half of this years are farming not actually enjoying the story, missions, dialogue etc.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
It's a great game, there's no doubt in my mind about that. But it doesn't quite tickle the same nerve as Borderlands 1 did. Nevertheless I've put about 30 hours into it and don't regret a single one.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
I clocked a 110 hours of BL2 myself and while I certainly have no regrets I can't help but feel that it'd be a superior game if they hadn't locked a huge amount of special effects out of procedural generation system. The rarity system should tell you how awesome your gear is in comparison to other gear, but at the end of a gaming session you should always walk away having tried a piece of gear you picked up while playing.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
It's sad really. If we took those same 12,000 years and focused them towards cancer research, we could have discovered a cure for a few strains of it.

ZekeTheHobo

Oct 28, 2012
malestrithe said:
It's sad really. If we took those same 12,000 years and focused them towards cancer research, we could have discovered a cure for a few strains of it.
Thing is, curing cancer is not nearly as fun or attention grabbing as blasting a midget's head off with a shotgun that shoots lightning.

If this cancer cure was tucked away behind a giant robot or something, we'd have seen major progress already.

Also,

Jiefu said:
12,000 years (or, more properly, player-years) is 105.1M player-hours

For a conservative estimate of 4M players, that's 26.3 hours per player. For a liberal estimate of 7M players, that's 15 hours per player.

You know, before anyone says "omg what if all these borderbutts tried 2cure cancar this is what is rong with humnity blah blah blah here are my personal biases" and makes a fool of themselves.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
As someone with a lvl 50 who has about 10 unique weapons and 30 epics I'm certainly looking forward to having new content to use them in. Hurry up with the next dlc gearbox!

rickthetrick

Jun 19, 2009
I've clocked in a crapload of time on this game, and have only co-op'd like once. This game is the tits! My only complaint so far is Demongs. Those damn things make the end boss look like a pussy. Okay that's not really a complaint, more of an annoyed observation.