Players Pick the Pace in Bioshock Infinite

Prophetic Heresy

Dec 26, 2009
Banana Phone Man said:
This is good. I loved it in Bioshock how you would wonder off somewhere and you might have been placed in certain areas where little sequences of events (unrelated to the story) would unfold (Such as you that room with all of those white statues, you go to the end and pick up a tonic, turn around and they are gone. Or the most memorable one in the surgery, you see the shadow of a man, you go towards it and then the man disappears only to jump you as you try to leave. I shat bricks) It was very tense and at points frightning.If they can deliver something like that again I would be very happy.
I think I remember that moment, was it the one where you were in some sort of tiled room, then the room filled with smoke and some creepy doctor was behind you? But then he vanished...not even an enemy to fight after that, just his creepy laugh echoing in your MIND.

PoliceBox63

Apr 7, 2010
My head is asploding with excitement!

I never disliked the pacing of BioShock 1 or 2 though, as you can still wander about. What they have said means that we'll have even more freedom in Infinite!

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Pacing is an important consideration when telling any sort of story, and a number of games over the past few years have used frequent action pieces and well-placed explosions to make the player feel like they're in the center of an action movie. While this approach has worked well for games like Uncharted 2, a few fans expressed concern after watching the heavily-scripted trailer released for Bioshock Infinite last week. However, in an interview posted today, the game's creators insisted that players will be able to set their own pace as they explore Infinite's floating dystopia.
Yeah we figured as much, but I don't want to just pick the pace, I want gameplay.

Seems like the game simply won't go forward, if you don't pick up the rifle for example. So you can pause, but you're still basicly doing one big QTE 2.0.

Skizzo321

Jan 18, 2010
While by yourself, It doesn't look too scripted actually. Sure, when Booker is by himself, especially in the beginning, the gameplay looks very unscripted and open for exploration.

When Elizabeth enters the picture however...scripted city. Will she be able to control the weather as we need it? If we find crates, will she turn the materials inside into a molten ball of metal for us to throw? If not, then I'm not looking to forward to this game, even in 2012...