Playing Dungeons & Dragons on the Microsoft Surface

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
I had first heard about Surface a year or two ago and I knew it was only a matter of time before this application would be developed for it. Frankly, I'm surprised it took this long. And as Talvrae said, not everyone uses miniatures. Some of the other features could still work, like the virtual dice and the slide show for when the DEM narrates their boring ass story for their wholly generic fantasy world. Pretty pictures can help the time pass, I guess. The obvious problem is that this is an application where not only would the GM want his own screen but so would every player. I suppose in the future when Surface is in every home and everyone owns a surface laptop, this would be just the same game only without all the papers.

But the battle map function does bother me. This does just make it into a video game. Heck, it could even use virtual miniatures so you don't have to lug fifty pounds of pewter around all the time. Of course, battle map combat is essentially a video game anyway. it was only a matter of time before someone programmed a computer to handle it, and Surface provides a tool to make that even easier.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
pantsoffdanceoff said:
I believe the article is missing the most important piece of information, when can I buy one of those?
If you have $12k to throw around, I think you need to order it from the Microsoft site.

OT: I'm going to watch the video later, due to me being on crappy WiFi, but I assume that this is going to be awesome. The Surface is already awesome, and I'm sure this will increase the fervor of it amongst gamers.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
Heart of Darkness said:
If you have $12k to throw around, I think you need to order it from the Microsoft site.
I went and checked. the PDF order form for the US says

$12,500 for a commercial unit + $720 install ($1,000 install after hours) + $240 3-5 day shipping ($530 1-2 day expedited shipping)

$15,000 for the developer unit which will no doubt incur the shipping charges at least. So that's at least $13,460. And that's just in the US. Other countries have different order forms and it's only available in certain countries.

So, basically this is like when it was a grand for a CD player. Only rich people will be shelling out for these things to give Microsoft their biscuit for developing the thing, and then the price will come down for the rest of us. I suspect at some point all computers will use a similar technology. Just not yet.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Oh geez, I could totally see the Penny Arcade folks adopting this. They already get the most awesome and nerdiest stuff anyway, whats one more thing to add to the list?

Doc Cannon

I hate custom titles.
Feb 3, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Doc Cannon said:
This is great. I hope it becomes affordable in a few years, before I am too old to admit in public I play D&D.
A friend of mine was playing D&D right up until his death at 75. Never let people tell you you're too old.
75?
Awesome, I hope I am still playing it when I'm 75 (but I'd just be happy to live that long).