Playing on Xbox: ton of updates

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I am trying to play some OG Xbox 1 stuff. I turn it on, it needs a major update. I go to play Gears 5. Major update required. ITMT, I figure I'll play some Metal Gear Solid Ground Zero... update required.

ITMT: in the background, it says it is doing a 70 Gb update to my Halo Master Chief collection.

Has this been your experience with Xbox? Do I just not play it enough? Why do you think this is happening?

Update: Holy sheep dip. the 70 Gb update to Halo is done. I restarted the console and now it is doing another entire update. This has been going on for over 2 hours now.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
All the more reason to have more than one way to game while the others do this sort of thing.

I did get to finally play. Even the OG Xbox 1 on a 55" 1080p LED looks pretty special and plays very well. A good, if frustrating thing to own.

Last edited:

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Keep on going, OG Xbox games on Xbox One have been adjusted for far better performance then even playing on actual hardware

And in the case of some games, they also included the DLC of certain games pre-installed. Like the three extra missions in Splinter Cell 1. And a lot of map packs in certain multiplayer type games.

Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
All the more reason to have more than one way to game while the others do this sort of thing.

I did get to finally play. Even the OG Xbox on a 55" 1080p LED looks pretty special and plays very well. A good, if frustrating thing to own.
K I’m a bit confused now. By “OG Xbox” I can only assume you’re literally referring to the original twenty yr old console, but if so I didn’t think that even got updates?! Or does XB1 run it virtually for its emulation?

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
K I’m a bit confused now. By “OG Xbox” I can only assume you’re literally referring to the original twenty yr old console, but if so I didn’t think that even got updates?! Or does XB1 run it virtually for its emulation?
Oooops, edited my post. OG Xbox 1. Though, I think you could get an OG Xbox composite cable set to show some games like Tony Hawk Underground 2, in 720p. Pretty special for 2002 or so.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Personally i find the xbox series s fairly disappoint compared to how the playstation 5 runs. The ps5 updates itself and all installed games without having to be told or even needing to be on. It downloaded and installed system updates and controller updates and game updates overnight and i never have to wait for crap. But the xbox needs confirmation to install anything (if there is a setting to change this i cant find it) and everytime i turn the system on i have to deal with an update to something.

Gamepass is great for sure. But some new shit that isnt halo or gears of war which are basically the same shit imo would be nice.