Playlogic Isn't OK, Files for Bankruptcy

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Playlogic Isn't OK, Files for Bankruptcy

Bad games that don't sell, as well as customers who aren't paying what's owed, have forced Playlogic to file for bankruptcy.

It seems like it was just yesterday when Dutch publisher Playlogic was claiming that, in spite of a tough economic environment, it wasn't actually bankrupt. Oh, wait, it was <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/financial-troubles-mount-at-playlogic>just yesterday that that happened. It turns out that this wasn't entirely the case, as Playlogic has now filed for bankruptcy.

A filing at the US Securities and Exchange Commission revealed that Playlogic has voluntarily signed up for bankruptcy protection. According to the company's board of directors, the publisher (and its development studio Playlogic Game Factory) entered "surseance van betaling", which is the Dutch equivalent of Chapter 11.

After posting a $20 million loss last year &mdash as well as revealing that its largest customer was delinquent on nearly $2 million of invoices &mdash the company had revealed that it was having some major problems and might have to cease operations if it wasn't able to get an influx of cash. However, when GameIndustry.biz asked about the state of the company, "Playlogic's Rick van Beem denied the company was bankrupt but admitted it was 'facing tough times.'"

On top of this, Playlogic revealed a $2.2 million loss for the first quarter. The last two games I played from Playlogic were <a href=http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/infernalhellsvengeance?q=infernal>Infernal: Hell's Vengeance and <a href=http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/fairytalefights?q=fairytale%20fights>Fairytale Fights, both of which were pretty bad. While it's always a little sad to hear about a publisher going through troubles like this, it's not exactly surprising given Playlogic's recent track record.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/playlogic-files-for-bankruptcy>GamesIndustry.biz

Darktau

Totally Ergo Proxy
Mar 10, 2009
I saw some clips of fairytale fighters, it looked funny :D, but too bad for them, they should of just made an fps and watched it sell like hotcakes.

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
Played fairytale fights, one of the shittiest games i've seen on the system.
It was a game where you mashed the attak button and got stuck in bugs.
good things where that the simple artstyle looked gergious on a big tv and that it had 4 player coop.
Anyway that such a developer got bankcrupt isn't really surprising when even the devs of the sabatour and midway can't support themselfs.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
There is a messgae to be learned here...if your gonna make games, make sure people will actually play them...

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
While I do feel sorry...their games were bad. Fairytale Fights ranks high(in my list) as one of the worst games I've ever played. Interesting premise...terrible execution. That game was awful.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Huh? Fairytale Fights was already released? Gee I was kinda looking forward to that, such a shame to hear that it was that crappy.

Well, if their games were really that shit, they deserve this bankruptcy. Never knew they were Dutch either.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Aura Guardian said:
While I do feel sorry...their games were bad. Fairytale Fights ranks high(in my list) as one of the worst games I've ever played. Interesting premise...terrible execution. That game was awful.
Agreed. I loved the art style, but it was such a crappy beat-em-up with rotten platforming. I was so disappointed in it.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
vansau said:
Aura Guardian said:
Agreed. I loved the art style, but it was such a crappy beat-em-up with rotten platforming. I was so disappointed in it.
As was I.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Soon some big booted research Comitee is going to state that their loss was b's of people pirating their games, and not for them being bad. I just wait for the report, mean while Ill drink cup of tea and watch how my WoW servers horde/alliance ration is going down the drain.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Aura Guardian said:
I would say it's more like a cliched premise. I watched a friend play this not too long ago, and the whole time I was bored to tears at the whole "cutesy art-style, but don't be fooled, oh no no no, this game is bloody as heck. Yeah, we're just hardcore like that. Bet you weren't expecting that huh? The game looks cute and innocent then BAM there's blood everywhere. We'll give you a moment to pause the game and go hunt-down your socks that have been blown off" thing.

Unless you meant the "fairy tale mash-up" premise, which has also been done a number of times before and thus didn't impress me. Shrek, Hoodwinked, you could even place Kingdom Hearts under this premise. It's been done. The gameplay itself also didn't really seem to do anything interesting.

The only thing about the game that shocked me was that she seemed to have fun playing it. However, she is more on the casual side of gaming, so I chalked it up as the same kind of appeal that has Farmville as one of the most popular games in the industry right now (which is to say that she doesn't know any better than to think it was a good game) mixed with a little bit of personal opinion (since her tastes have always been weird).

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
SinisterGehe said:
Soon some big booted research Comitee is going to state that their loss was b's of people pirating their games, and not for them being bad. I just wait for the report, mean while Ill drink cup of tea and watch how my WoW servers horde/alliance ration is going down the drain.
Sad part is...I can see that happening.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Aura Guardian said:
I would say it's more like a cliched premise. I watched a friend play this not too long ago, and the whole time I was bored to tears at the whole "cutesy art-style, but don't be fooled, oh no no no, this game is bloody as heck. Yeah, we're just hardcore like that. Bet you weren't expecting that huh? The game looks cute and innocent then BAM there's blood everywhere. We'll give you a moment to pause the game and go hunt-down your socks that have been blown off" thing.

Unless you meant the "fairy tale mash-up" premise, which has also been done a number of times before and thus didn't impress me. Shrek, Hoodwinked, you could even place Kingdom Hearts under this premise. It's been done. The gameplay itself also didn't really seem to do anything interesting.

The only thing about the game that shocked me was that she seemed to have fun playing it. However, she is more on the casual side of gaming, so I chalked it up as the same kind of appeal that has Farmville as one of the most popular games in the industry right now (which is to say that she doesn't know any better than to think it was a good game) mixed with a little bit of personal opinion (since her tastes have always been weird).
I'll still say the premise was interesting. But damn was it bad/boring. Though hearing that your friend liked it shocked me because no one I know liked it. And OOoooh blood. Yeah.

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
I always feel sad when a studio closes down, hopefully a newer, better studio will take its place.