PlayStation 3 Gets its First Region-Locked Game

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
PlayStation 3 Gets its First Region-Locked Game

Persona 4 Arena may lose some pre-orders after Atlus locks imports.

The Persona series is unique for a number of reasons, and the PlayStation 3 version of Persona 4 Arena adds one more distinction: it will be the first region-locked game on the console. An Atlus employee confirmed the news on the publisher's forums, stating "yes, the PS3 version game will be region-locked. I certainly can't offer details as to why, but there might be an official response at some point."

The publisher explained that the North American version of the game would also work in South America, but would be locked out of other regions. Japanese and North American versions of Persona 4 Arena will be "nearly identical," with text and voice options in both languages for both regions.

While this probably isn't a deal-breaker for many gamers, Persona fans on the Atlus forum are considerably upset at the publisher's decision. Many were disappointed that they wouldn't be able to import their preferred version of the game, and a few even threatened to cancel their pre-orders. The Xbox 360 version will also be region-locked, though that doesn't seem to be upsetting players as much as the previously region-free PlayStation 3 getting its first locked game.

Source: EGM Now [http://www.atlus.com/forum/showthread.php?p=289142#post289142]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I wonder what their reason could be for this.

Also Sarah, your avatar is adorable.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Matthew94 said:
I see no benefits of region locking. It's just a way of saying "fuck you" to your player base to me.
It's so that if you move to a different place, you have to spend more money on another copy of the game, and to discourage cross-country second hand sales.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Gearhead mk2 said:
Matthew94 said:
I see no benefits of region locking. It's just a way of saying "fuck you" to your player base to me.
It's so that if you move to a different place, you have to spend more money on another copy of the game, and to discourage cross-country second hand sales.
So basically, it's just a way of saying "fuck you" to your player base?

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Well, as long as I can still play it, because I feel like I've been waiting an eternity for this, then...............................I'm not particularly bothered really.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Atlus, how could you!? I doubt it's a "good" reason, but I'm curious to what it is.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Sorry, did it look like I was defending them? I'm not, it's a stupid practice that means I can't watch Invader Zim because they didn't make europe-compatible copies. I'm just saying it's not a mindless fuck you like what EA does, it's a fuck you meant to enhance profit.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Well, THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH. I live in a country, where only AAA games are sold, and all others I have to order from, for example, Amazon. I was really hoping to order this game, because not only I like the idea of mixing Persona and fighting games, I also wanted to support the developer with my money to show that I, as a consumer, like it and would not be against other experiments of such kind. Now, however, I am thinking of buying cracked Xbox and downloading this game as soon as it comes out. You don't respect me, I won't respect you.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
so... i guess we can expect at least a year wait for the uk release huh?

ever wonder why console modding is so damn popular?

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Matthew94 said:
It's like saying "fuck you" to a place you don't see as worthwhile.

Typically it used to be Europe that got this shit, personally I don't import unless there's months between the releases but region locking is so outdated and uneccessary.

I hope it stays on games I'll never play.

My prediction: Versus 13 will come out next year. Then be region locked. And take 6 months for a US release. Then 2 years for an EU release. Just like the good old PS2 days.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
But... I... Son of a *****! The only reason I wasn't disappointed in the lack of a European release date was because I could just import as PS3 has never region locked anything. If they do this to Persona 4 Golden as well, I will legitimately cry. I was already facing a 1-2 year wait for Eternal Punishment PSP to arrive, now I need to add P4A and probably P4G to that list as well.

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
Matthew94 said:
The only legit reason I see to region lock a game is if your game contains content that could be considered illegal somewhere else and it is a sure fire way to cover your own ass if it ends up in said country and they come looking for you. You can play the, 'we region locked the game and the consumer bypassed it' card.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
I was considering to get it, and I got a PS3 because I import quite a lot of games, and never had to worry about any stupid region locking up till now.
Now I will probably pass on it, if they go through with it.

Update: With the update on the matter I guess it is understandable and I really hope that this will be an exception - and I am glad that they responded so fast, after a lot of people voiced their concern.