PlayStation 3 System Sales No Longer a Money Pit

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
Good, I'm happy that the PS3 is making profit, I'm happy when any gaming company or manufacturer is making profit. That means they can make good new games with that profit and they have less chance in closing down.

Brain_Cleanser

Dec 18, 2009
I kinda giggled abit at the "Expected to reach double digit profit in the near future" bit, but that's more me looking at it from a marketing perspective.
Also looking at it from a marketing perspective, good on them.
I think it might owe alot to the Kevin Butler ads. Those are gold.

OmegaZeroX

Mar 17, 2010
Joe Matsuda said:
I'm so proud of you, Sony...but it took you this long?

really? You know what it's like to live in a world were 360s are sold like wildfire and microsoft grows larger and more evil?!?

its not a nice world............freakin' 360......breaking down every half a year.......stealing all my hard earned cash for Live......
Odd, I've had my Xbox 360 Elite for the past two years now (back when they were still sold WITH HDMI cables), and I've accidently kicked it, spilled soup on it, accidently knocked it over (with and without games running at the time) and it has never left the house. Why? Because it has never broken down on me. The PS3 Slim that I am currently borrowing from my cousin, on the other hand, had graphical issues when I tried to use an HDMI connection with it, and while using HDMI on a home theater system, the sound often goes out, causing me to require turning the home theater system and television off to restore sound for another 30 minutes before it happens again. My cousin takes great care of his stuff, and I love some of the games on the console, but I'm speaking on a matter of experience, and with my experiences thus far with the two consoles, the Xbox 360 is more reliable. Overall reliability? I'm not gonna argue that point because I haven't owned multiple versions of the same console to speak on that.

theaceplaya

Jul 20, 2009
OmegaZeroX said:
Kenjitsuka said:
Congrats on this, Sony!
Now release the PS2 emulation feature you have had since day one and I'll be happy too :)
Lol, don't you mean 're-release'?

That would be a great announcement for them to make at E3. Or that PS2 games are coming to the store. Either way, the feature would be nice to have (again).

I respect them for being able to turn a profit now though, that's a big win for them. Always have loved Sony.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
They had better hope people don't lose interest in their product. Taking away features like the "Other OS" option is a good way to do that.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
There's champaigane corks popping at the PlayStation division under the banner "We're actually making money now!"

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Tom Goldman said:
Will Sony's massive PS3 investment pay off
Handle-and-blades industry. If game (or blu-ray) sales were ever able to offset the loss on the console, and I'm fairly certain that's not a very contentious supposition, it already paid off. Now that the handle isn't the loss leader, the investment most certainly is already paying off.

It's really only a mystery if you artificially limit the question to costs of the console itself and ask if revenues on the box alone will ever offset the initial loss-lead outlay. Most investors looking at the surrounding market will see the break-even as trivia.

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
Now if they can spend that money on exclusives people give 2 shits about rather than exclusive characters in Toy Story 3: the video game. ohhhh toy story.

/sarcasm

Joe Matsuda

Aug 24, 2009
OmegaZeroX said:
Joe Matsuda said:
I'm so proud of you, Sony...but it took you this long?

really? You know what it's like to live in a world were 360s are sold like wildfire and microsoft grows larger and more evil?!?

its not a nice world............freakin' 360......breaking down every half a year.......stealing all my hard earned cash for Live......
Odd, I've had my Xbox 360 Elite for the past two years now (back when they were still sold WITH HDMI cables), and I've accidently kicked it, spilled soup on it, accidently knocked it over (with and without games running at the time) and it has never left the house. Why? Because it has never broken down on me. The PS3 Slim that I am currently borrowing from my cousin, on the other hand, had graphical issues when I tried to use an HDMI connection with it, and while using HDMI on a home theater system, the sound often goes out, causing me to require turning the home theater system and television off to restore sound for another 30 minutes before it happens again. My cousin takes great care of his stuff, and I love some of the games on the console, but I'm speaking on a matter of experience, and with my experiences thus far with the two consoles, the Xbox 360 is more reliable. Overall reliability? I'm not gonna argue that point because I haven't owned multiple versions of the same console to speak on that.
I've had a 360 for some time now...I've never spilled anything or kicked it or stuff like that...just had one

well, two...since I got so tired of sending the other one in for repairs...the new one broke down three months later by the way...

Nothing against you or the 360...I just don't have good luck I guess...

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
The only thing I wonder about is, sure it's selling at a profit NOW... but when will that 'profit' equal and overtake the total amount LOST over the past few years?

Also, millions of PS3's have already sold, and given that they don't seem to be breaking down as fast as say an Xbox 360, is there a risk that there are already enough Ps3's purchased to make any gains minimal? I mean if everybody already bought a PS3 at a loss, how many people are left to buy it at a profit?

Fuhjem

Jan 17, 2009
Nice job, Sony. Only took you about four years to understand economics, but still, good for you.

shemoanscazrex3

Mar 24, 2010
I would like to know about the 360 with Microsoft having a billion dollar RROD budget. Maybe next generation Sony will have its shit together

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
Straying Bullet said:
Yeah, you screwed people over by removing the Other OS feature. Including the United States Airforce, idiots.

But good news, they are making a profit.
So now that they are making a profit. They should do "Buisness"

The_Healer

Jun 17, 2009
Really, you have to admire them for continuing to make and sell the PS3 at a deficit for so long. In my opinion it shows the true spirit of the company.

Angelcraft

Apr 15, 2010
It took three and a half years for their super system to turn a profit? That's not good strategy. THe PS2 was an instant hit and CONTINUES to sell systems and games long after the DEATH of the system. Seriously, what is SONY thinking? Playstation used to be infallable, but now they are trying to act like Sega and 3D0 and flush themselves down the toilet.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Angelcraft said:
It took three and a half years for their super system to turn a profit? That's not good strategy. THe PS2 was an instant hit and CONTINUES to sell systems and games long after the DEATH of the system. Seriously, what is SONY thinking? Playstation used to be infallable, but now they are trying to act like Sega and 3D0 and flush themselves down the toilet.
The hardware isn't what makes money, it's the licenses and the games that make selling consoles worthwhile. Look at it this way, Sony gets money from the sale of games and Blu-rays, as opposed to MS, who only get money from games. It wasn't a bad investment by any means, although Sony could have done better in the PR department (PS2 emulation, other OS, etc)

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
congrats for making more money by stripping out and modifying your system to hell and taking all the good stuff away from it.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Kenjitsuka said:
Congrats on this, Sony!
Now release the PS2 emulation feature you have had since day one and I'll be happy too :)
Actually, I'd prefer it if they'd iron out the creases in the PS1 emulation software first. I still can't play Spyro 2 or 3 on my PS3. :mad:

OT: Good for you Sony. Just don't get too cocky and try charging for PSN; that's not going to win you any fans at all.