PlayStation 4 Costs Sony $381 To Build

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Strazdas said:
Last-gen (yes, lets get used to that one, it was as hard to type for me as it will be for you) consoles was holding gaming back. In fact, current gen consoles already ARE holding gaming back thanks to their inability to run 1080p properly.
Heck, next year there will be a PHONE that is as powerful as this console.
And i think we have already been over the fallacy of "you cant see reslution dur durr"
But what do you want? Them to charge a couple of grand for a PC like console that can't be upgraded? Who is going to buy that? You want super powerful machine capable of running at great resolutions and at 100+ FPS but it to cost $400, it's just not going to happen.

People who buy consoles aren't really into making the most of the games, as long as it is the shiny shiny and runs ok it doesn't really matter. If you want the greatest and best from gamers you will buy a PC and fill it with top of the range parts that cost the same as the consoles by themselves, you will get mods for games and all that other fiddly crap.

Consoles serve one demographic of games and pc's serve another, which is why resolution doesn't matter ... the only reason a fuss is being kicked up over it, is 'cos PC guys are like "well they should be running that anyway" and console guys are saying "ps4 has a better resolution that xbone". Only the PC guys who actually give a rats ass about it can tell the differences.

I've been watching a lot of coverage of the new consoles and I've people say the same thing, that it's quite hard to tell the differences and even when you do, after an hour or so of gaming you stop thinking about it and it doesn't matter at all.

To be honest when I game on a pc the resolution doesn't bother me that much, as long as it doesn't look like total ass I will play it at whatever.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
omega 616 said:
Strazdas said:
Last-gen (yes, lets get used to that one, it was as hard to type for me as it will be for you) consoles was holding gaming back. In fact, current gen consoles already ARE holding gaming back thanks to their inability to run 1080p properly.
And i think we have already been over the fallacy of "you cant see reslution dur durr"
But what do you want? Them to charge a couple of grand for a PC like console that can't be upgraded? Who is going to buy that? You want super powerful machine capable of running at great resolutions and at 100+ FPS but it to cost $400, it's just not going to happen.

People who buy consoles aren't really into making the most of the games, as long as it is the shiny shiny and runs ok it doesn't really matter. If you want the greatest and best from gamers you will buy a PC and fill it with top of the range parts that cost the same as the consoles by themselves, you will get mods for games and all that other fiddly crap.

Consoles serve one demographic of games and pc's serve another, which is why resolution doesn't matter ... the only reason a fuss is being kicked up over it, is 'cos PC guys are like "well they should be running that anyway" and console guys are saying "ps4 has a better resolution that xbone". Only the PC guys who actually give a rats ass about it can tell the differences.

I've been watching a lot of coverage of the new consoles and I've people say the same thing, that it's quite hard to tell the differences and even when you do, after an hour or so of gaming you stop thinking about it and it doesn't matter at all.

To be honest when I game on a pc the resolution doesn't bother me that much, as long as it doesn't look like total ass I will play it at whatever.
I'll play it even if it DOES look like ass. I LOVE YOU MINECRAFT!

Yeah, I have to agree with you there, I don't think resolutions really matter. We don't even think of it as 1080p, really. That's for restrictive televisions. We care about optimal gameplay, really, and we REALLY only care about what settings we can run it on for affirmation: "Well I can run it at full settings with no loss in framerate... check out my glorious package. *hip-thusting*"

That's why PC gamers are making a big deal of their resolutions right now... Xbone and PS4 fans are flinging poo at each other and we can't help but stick out heads in and scoff. "Pffft, 1080p? What a baby argument. You sad, pathetic, console scrubs. Check out our glorious packages *hip thrusting with the slam to the pelvis region with open palms*."

So if you'd only stop crying about your terrible graphics, we wouldn't say anything.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
omega 616 said:
Strazdas said:

I want them to at least give service worth the money. You dont need couple grand for a PC to run 1080p You need closer to 600 dollars to spend on a PC that will run every current game on 1080p without problems. And thats consumer price, if we take mass production manufacturer price that 600dollars is probably closer to those same 400 dollars. There was a study that shown that PS4 ahrdware even at purchasers price cost 382 dollars, for mas production thats probably more like 300, they area already taknig a large cut on top for each consoel sold (granted, there are costs to be had they need to cover which is fair enough). you heavily overestimate the value of things your getting. The new consoles from a hearware perspective arent worth the money they are asking you for.

You seem to realize there is no middle ground. you dont have to be a PC building crazyperson to be a PC gamer. In fact thanks to the new consoles PCs are now cheaper option too! And you can get the same (and more) shinies.

Consoles USED TO serve one demogrpahic of games. Now all they are are overpriced limited underpowered PCs with locked hardware and software.

And you once again seem to have only one argument: i cant tell the difference therefore only idiots care. sorry, that doesnt work.

Resolution matters, and looking better is only a small part of benefits of reoslution.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Strazdas said:
My brother made me a computer, picked out and assembled them himself ... I have since put a new sound card, graphics card and ram into it and it comes in the ball park of £500 I've spent on it. My PC can't even play planetside 2 ... guess which console can ...

I'm not saying I have been the greatest parts shopper but I don't think I was awful and I am just one case, so that as you will.

Woah, woah, woah there sparky! "I cant tell the difference therefore only idiots care." I never said that, my opinion is "only people who give a massive crap care and even then after playing the game for a time they get over it" as nobody is sitting there 5 hours into a gaming session thinking "fucking resolution fucking sucks *mumble, grumble*"

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
M920CAIN said:
Yeah, I don't believe it. They're paying small salaries to the factory workers, surely they're making about 299 dollars profit per console. Those executives they've got need huge loads of money to keep their life styles going.
I... What? Did you read the article? The peices to make the console cost money , no one cares about the small salaries workers.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
omega 616 said:
Strazdas said:
My brother made me a computer, picked out and assembled them himself ... I have since put a new sound card, graphics card and ram into it and it comes in the ball park of £500 I've spent on it. My PC can't even play planetside 2 ... guess which console can ...

I'm not saying I have been the greatest parts shopper but I don't think I was awful and I am just one case, so that as you will.

Woah, woah, woah there sparky! "I cant tell the difference therefore only idiots care." I never said that, my opinion is "only people who give a massive crap care and even then after playing the game for a time they get over it" as nobody is sitting there 5 hours into a gaming session thinking "fucking resolution fucking sucks *mumble, grumble*"
As it happens i am looking to buy new PC soon so i follow te pricing closely. For equivalent in local currency to 500 GBP i could build a high end PC (think I5 4xxx, 660GTX, ect). It could most definatelly play Planetside. Heck, for that money i could buy a very decent pre-built PC so you dont even have the excuse of not having to build yourself. Im not sure whether it is bloted prices in britain or you making poor choices o you just buying hardware back when it was mroe expesive and its value degrading over time (that happesn very fst with computers), but there is a problem with your setup.

People get used to being tortured too, does not mean its good thing to do this. The fact is there is a difference and people can see it. Does that mean they will stop playing because of low resolution? perhaps. should a modenr amchine be able to run 1080p at least (for all games) - most definatelly. especially one that costs this much.