PlayStation 4 Is Already Profitable, Sony Says

FumblesO'brian

Apr 29, 2014
Rozalia1 said:
Well nice to see the obvious happening. A company that failed before should make sure its on the ball next time and Sony have done well in that regard. Microsoft, and Nintendo not so much, but there is always next time.

ZippyDSMlee said:
The PS3 might not be imposable but I have more PS2 games anyway. From now on if game companies want my money they will have to focus on BWC or I will just stick with the PC and emulation or 100-200 used consoles.
So until they cater to you you'll just pirate their games? Well that isn't a good argument at all considering all those PC exclusives out there... what a dangerous viewpoint.
It's a perfectly valid and widespread viewpoint in this day and age. Pirating is meeting a demand, or it wouldn't exist to the extent it does currently, and if the company is ignoring that demand well bad luck. Why do you think Australia is the No1 pirating country of GoT?

I'd buy a Nintendo console if they remade Perfect Dark and Golden Eye, with no major gameplay changed(qte), even without a major graphical upgrade, which they both really really need, and I bet they would get alot of sales from the nostalgia of them. This money could then be used to make New games with new idea's instead of generic shooter 85 and mario does something 193.

Until they lift their game I wont be even buying a current gen console, and before you say anything note I use to download The Blacklist until 4 episodes in I realised it was being aired 1 episode behind on TV so i rewarded them by watching it and not downloading it. We need to reward behavior that is beneficial to the customer, and punish practices that aren't, and if companies hve to go bankrupt because of that, it's nothing but their own fault.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
FumblesO said:
Not everything is available to be repurchased and I am sure as hell not re buying shit I already own. Besides by the time the PS3 is emulated as much as the PS2 is today we all will be dead. LOL
Justify it however you like, it doesn't change the simple fact of the matter.

FumblesO said:
It's a perfectly valid and widespread viewpoint in this day and age. Pirating is meeting a demand, or it wouldn't exist to the extent it does currently, and if the company is ignoring that demand well bad luck. Why do you think Australia is the No1 pirating country of GoT?
Valid and widespread among the self-entitled thereby meaning nothing. Its like stating that stealing cars being fine is perfectly valid and widespread opinion among car jackers, completely pointless.
Pirating is meeting a demand? Yeah a demand for free stuff but I'm sure you set yourself up for that one purposely.

No company has to seek you out and cater to you, if they don't want to open up the sale to you than that is within their rights. That is however no justification for breaking the law and stealing from them.
You want to pirate whatever do so no one can stop you, but don't stand here and try to put yourself on some moral high ground. They don't force you or anyone else to pirate by not having it available to you as you have no right to their games. It isn't food, you don't need to play video games to live.

FumblesO said:
I'd buy a Nintendo console if they remade Perfect Dark and Golden Eye, with no major gameplay changed(qte), even without a major graphical upgrade, which they both really really need, and I bet they would get alot of sales from the nostalgia of them. This money could then be used to make New games with new idea's instead of generic shooter 85 and mario does something 193.

Until they lift their game I wont be even buying a current gen console, and before you say anything note I use to download The Blacklist until 4 episodes in I realised it was being aired 1 episode behind on TV so i rewarded them by watching it and not downloading it. We need to reward behavior that is beneficial to the customer, and punish practices that aren't, and if companies hve to go bankrupt because of that, it's nothing but their own fault.
Generic shooter and Nintendo in the same sentence? Wanting a rehash of something, yet attacking Mario rehashes?
Nintendo makes plenty, and funds plenty of new stuff so I don't know where you're getting all this from.

While few would admit from among that crowd there are actually few who will "reward" to use your word a company for good business moves by ceasing to pirate, and start ponying up.

FumblesO'brian

Apr 29, 2014
Rozalia1 said:
FumblesO said:
Not everything is available to be repurchased and I am sure as hell not re buying shit I already own. Besides by the time the PS3 is emulated as much as the PS2 is today we all will be dead. LOL
Justify it however you like, it doesn't change the simple fact of the matter.
Hold up there don't quote me for things I've not said.

Rozalia1 said:
FumblesO said:
Valid and widespread among the self-entitled thereby meaning nothing. Its like stating that stealing cars being fine is perfectly valid and widespread opinion among car jackers, completely pointless.
Pirating is meeting a demand? Yeah a demand for free stuff but I'm sure you set yourself up for that one purposely.
You do release that 90% of pirating of GoT is done by non tech savvy families who use EZTV etc? This isn't about free stuff this is about availability in a "Global Market" as we keep being told that's what we live in. I'm not sure about how much you know about release dates around the world but in Australia they released season 3 on February 19th, 2014. 1 year difference. Oh and we can only watch it on TV through Foxtel on their most expensive package, They have taken legal action to stop Itunes Australia from making it available to stream at a lower price. Yes Itunes was CHEAPER.
You will always have a percentage of people that want it for free, that is a very small percentage, but if a couple of people can make something more available to you than a multi million/billion dollar company then something has to change.

With car jacking ??? And I guess fishing for sport and killing people can be both reasoned out under the same argument that I enjoy it. It's the same logical link. And sorry each time a either hear or read "you wont steal a car" https://torrentfreak.com/copyright-corruption-scandal-surrounds-anti-piracy-campaign-111201/

Hypocrisy in action!

Rozalia1 said:
No company has to seek you out and cater to you, if they don't want to open up the sale to you than that is within their rights. That is however no justification for breaking the law and stealing from them.
You want to pirate whatever do so no one can stop you, but don't stand here and try to put yourself on some moral high ground. They don't force you or anyone else to pirate by not having it available to you as you have no right to their games. It isn't food, you don't need to play video games to live.
But this isn't a demand from 1 person, this a demand from millions of people and if companies can't see that then they should suffer. Companies are there to cater for us not us to them, that's a fact, otherwise they wouldn't be profitable. With the internet changed the "playing field" companies need to adapt and they just aren't so pirating has become a major "issue".

FumblesO said:

Rozalia1 said:
Generic shooter and Nintendo in the same sentence? Wanting a rehash of something, yet attacking Mario rehashes?
Nintendo makes plenty, and funds plenty of new stuff so I don't know where you're getting all this from.
This I release wen the wrong way sorry, I should've moved it towards the backwards compatibility. I understand that new consoles usually use different base systems than old models so the time it would take to mod old games to get them to work wouldn't be worth it. But the Xbone and PS4 both are just off the shelf PC packages plain and simple, Why not make a Emulator for them have the emulator cost 10$ and say 5$ for 20 games and then all problems are solved its income on games already made and for a nice reasonable price.

I disagree with you saying I wanted a rehash and that was my fault for miss wording before. But in terms of Mario rehash vs PD and 007GE neither of them have 10 sequals so your argument doesn't really work there sorry.

Rozalia1 said:
While few would admit from among that crowd there are actually few who will "reward" to use your word a company for good business moves by ceasing to pirate, and start ponying up.
But alot of people do! Steam, GoG, Origin(somewhat) all are accessible and cheap old and new games that you can instantly buy. We have rewarded these by making very profitable, which is the reward they are after. The games industry is struggling at the moment and alot of people are saying we will have another crash, but companies that have catered for the powerhouse that is the internet are doing rather well and laugh all the way to the bank. This is capitalism at work.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Rozalia1 said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Rozalia1 said:
Well nice to see the obvious happening. A company that failed before should make sure its on the ball next time and Sony have done well in that regard. Microsoft, and Nintendo not so much, but there is always next time.

ZippyDSMlee said:
The PS3 might not be imposable but I have more PS2 games anyway. From now on if game companies want my money they will have to focus on BWC or I will just stick with the PC and emulation or 100-200 used consoles.
So until they cater to you you'll just pirate their games? Well that isn't a good argument at all considering all those PC exclusives out there... what a dangerous viewpoint.
So buying used is somehow doing something illicit? Wow now that's a much more dangerous viewpoint.
Referring to emulation bud.
You do know you don't have to pirate anything to use emulation, right? Sure, plenty of people do, but a lot also don't.

kanetsb

Sep 13, 2007
Ultratwinkie said:
Hope xbox goes under or stops being a console. I learned that the low quality next gen games we have been getting is due to the xbox's lack of graphics RAM. Games had to be built around it so it can be supported.
I'll write a bit, even though it's probably going to be very boring and nobody will read it. :)

The problem is actually very simple. Both the box and the PS4 use the same architecture with some minor tweeking here and there. It's an AMD low speed multicore CPU combined with a GPU (aka. an Accelerate Processor Unit -APU- from the AMD Fusion Project). Essentially, a medium range PC (some say a bit below). This setup however, has one issue - it uses common RAM for both the CPU and the GPU part of the APU. This way you get some very nice cooperation between the GFX generating part of the computer and the computational part (ie. you don't have to copy that much data between the system memory and the graphics memory on some card, like in a traditional PC - the PCI-e bus is no longer needed). However - both use the same RAM at the same time and thus need it to be VERY fast (you still have just a single memory controller). Any modern GFX card these days uses GDDR5 to ensure highest throughput (those massive textures used today, need a lot of mem bandwidth during rendering).

AMD said - put in GDDR5 and it should work fine (it still doesn't, as the PS4 can really drop the framerate in most of it's games so far).
Sony did it...
MS put in traditional DDR3 used in PCs as the CPUs memory - something that is just a bit below the throughput, required to texture polygons at high resolutions and be able to compute using the CPU part of the system at the same time. This is why rendering at a lower resolution actually increases the FPS on the Box - you can get away with slightly smaller textures. They tried adding something called ESRAM to buffer the memory operations but... well, it works as well as we can see so far. :)

TL;DR - XBox'es RAM is too slow, it's too late to fix it and everyone in the industry knows it. We're stuck with sub-par equipment and it's going to influence the quality of games for the next ~3 years.

If anyone remembers the design of the Amiga computers it used "Slow RAM" (or later on, Chip RAM) - we're dealing with this kind of problem again. Concurrency between chips to a single memory channel. But hey - it is a lot cheaper to make. :)

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
FumblesO said:
Hold up there don't quote me for things I've not said.
Apologies it was in response to ZippyDSMlee.

FumblesO said:
You do release that 90% of pirating of GoT is done by non tech savvy families who use EZTV etc? This isn't about free stuff this is about availability in a "Global Market" as we keep being told that's what we live in. I'm not sure about how much you know about release dates around the world but in Australia they released season 3 on February 19th, 2014. 1 year difference. Oh and we can only watch it on TV through Foxtel on their most expensive package, They have taken legal action to stop Itunes Australia from making it available to stream at a lower price. Yes Itunes was CHEAPER.
You will always have a percentage of people that want it for free, that is a very small percentage, but if a couple of people can make something more available to you than a multi million/billion dollar company then something has to change.

With car jacking ??? And I guess fishing for sport and killing people can be both reasoned out under the same argument that I enjoy it. It's the same over exajuated link. And sorry each time a either hear or read "you wont steal a car" https://torrentfreak.com/copyright-corruption-scandal-surrounds-anti-piracy-campaign-111201/

Hypocrisy in action!
How you feel on the matter does not give you reason to break the law.

Hypocrisy? And? Them breaking a law doesn't give you carte blanche to do whatever you like.

FumblesO said:
But this isn't a demand from 1 person, this a demand from millions of people and if companies can't see that then they should suffer. Companies are there to cater for us not us to them, that's a fact, otherwise they wouldn't be profitable. With the internet changed the "playing field" companies need to adapt and they just aren't so pirating has become a major "issue".
So if a company cannot fill a demand be it due to lack of resources, unprofitably, or even simply because foreign government forbids it...they deserve to suffer. I think you need to get over yourself if you think every company in the world is your slave, and that they deserve some sort of punishment if they don't get on their knees for you.

FumblesO said:
This I release wen the wrong way sorry, I should've moved it towards the backwards compatibility. I understand that new consoles usually use different base systems than old models so the time it would take to mod old games to get them to work wouldn't be worth it. But the Xbone and PS4 both are just off the shelf PC packages plain and simple, Why not make a Emulator for them have the emulator cost 10$ and say 5$ for 20 games and then all problems are solved its income on games already made and for a nice reasonable price.

I disagree with you saying I wanted a rehash and that was my fault for miss wording before. But in terms of Mario rehash vs PD and 007GE neither of them have 10 sequals so your argument doesn't really work there sorry.
Sony has Playstation Now, and Microsoft will likely push their own attempt soon. Secondly if top of the range PCs can't emulate PS3 how in bloody hell do you expect the PS4 to do it? You are literally asking the impossible, and ignoring the only alternative to BC Sony have presented.

Doesn't change the fact you attacked rehashes, and asked for one in the same sentence.

FumblesO said:
But alot of people do! Steam, GoG, Origin(somewhat) all are accessible and cheap old and new games that you can instantly buy. We have rewarded these by making very profitable, which is the reward they are after. The games industry is struggling at the moment and alot of people are saying we will have another crash, but companies that have catered for the powerhouse that is the internet are doing rather well and laugh all the way to the bank. This is capitalism at work.
Laughing to the bank? Those companies are themselves not far from the edge, perhaps slightly further away but still near it. If crash happens they go to, their practices won't save them they'll die all the same.

KarmaTheAlligator said:
You do know you don't have to pirate anything to use emulation, right? Sure, plenty of people do, but a lot also don't.
How many do you wager just pirate? And how many do you wager have a console to extract the BIOS from, a legal disc to either run or get the ISO from, or in the case of cartridges they own something to slot them into (or the means to digitize the cartridge's data).

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Rozalia1 said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
How many do you wager just pirate? And how many do you wager have a console to extract the BIOS from, a legal disc to either run or get the ISO from, or in the case of cartridges they own something to slot them into (or the means to digitize the cartridge's data).
I already acknowledged that plenty do, but it's not a reason to equate emulation to piracy.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
KarmaTheAlligator said:
I already acknowledged that plenty do, but it's not a reason to equate emulation to piracy.
You're arguing very minor details, its obvious I was referring to illegal emulation which is widespread (you can argue this I suppose but...), and sickeningly considered completely correct/justified by a large group of people. From pirates to all those youtube "superstars".

Its pirating simple as, and likely a gateway to pirating of modern games too. In fact I'd wager a good portion of those emulation criminals are also pirating all the latest games too.
I suppose you can argue that in regards to the first world, but there are two other worlds out there and in those I can safely sit correct without question.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Rozalia1 said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
You're arguing very minor details, its obvious I was referring to illegal emulation which is widespread (you can argue this I suppose but...), and sickeningly considered completely correct/justified by a large group of people. From pirates to all those youtube "superstars".

Its pirating simple as, and likely a gateway to pirating of modern games too. In fact I'd wager a good portion of those emulation criminals are also pirating all the latest games too.
I suppose you can argue that in regards to the first world, but there are two other worlds out there and in those I can safely sit correct without question.
Meh pirating is the direct sale of illicitly copied media everything else is fans being fans. Tho in a perfect world I'd like revenue sharing IE 60% of profits go to an organization that devies up the money amongst the IP owners. Sadly what we have these days is closer to intellectual tyranny than anything else.IMO you can not block the flow of information/inspiration just because no one is making money off it. By all means shut down those making an illicit revenue everything else is fandom and or information and or inspiration which creates more IP than sticking to a tyrannical intellectual rights system which tends to steal things from the bottom up as most top heavy systems do.

Splitzi

Apr 29, 2012
Is it bad that the first thing that came to me was that Sony should have invested in better hardware from the start? It seems way too early to be turning a profit.

shitoutonme

May 26, 2011
I'm glad Sony is seeing some profit. They definitely won this gen's crown for best console.

With this being said, the prices on PS4's are going down too. Hell, I just found an online store selling brand spanking new PS4's for $295 thanks to their 15% off everything sale:

http://iconicbargains.zhuncity.com/node/477753

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Charcharo said:
With all due respect mate, didnt you in another thread defend shills and lying :p?
There is more research (and general opinion) supporting that mods affect sales then there is to emulation and piracy ...
And? So me defending shills means I can't attack pirates? Nice logic.

Pray tell than why you won't provide me with this evidence than? Secondly general opinion goes beyond your particular circle.