PlayStation 4 Remote Play Coming to PC and Mac

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
PlayStation 4 Remote Play Coming to PC and Mac

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1009/1009326.jpg

Sony exec confirms PS Vita gameplay streaming service will hit PC and Mac.

PlayStation 4 Remote Play, which allows PS4 gameplay to be streamed across a home network to PS Vita, will be making its way to PC and Mac at some point in the future, according to president of Sony's worldwide studios Shuhei Yoshida.

"Some people asked if we plan to provide Remote Play function to PC, and yes, we are indeed working on an official application for PC/Mac," Yoshida wrote on Twitter [https://twitter.com/yosp/status/670077392761716736] yesterday.

The announcement of an official app comes days after an unofficial app [http://tmacdev.com/2015/remote-play-pc-release/] was revealed, promising to bring PlayStation Remote Play to PC. It is not immediately clear whether this move has been planned and in development, or if it is in response to the unofficial app. There are no further details on how the service will work for PC and Mac owners, or when it will be made available.

This move is similar to Microsoft's console-to-PC streaming service, which allows an Xbox One to be mirrored on a Windows 10 device.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/yosp/status/670077392761716736]

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
so let me see if i understand it correctly.
i can play ps4 games on my pc? over wifi, maybe also lan? im sorry, im really having a hard time to comprehend that.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Okay, but when are they gonna open the Android app up to non-Sony devices?

P.S. Thanks

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Metalrocks said:
i can play ps4 games on my pc? over wifi, maybe also lan? im sorry, im really having a hard time to comprehend that.
Ummm... yes? Assuming this works like on Xbox or Steam, your gaming system of choice streams image and sound to your PC, while your PC sends control input back. Preferably over wired LAN for best results.
On Xbox, this lets me still play Xbox games on my gaming rig even if the living room TV is busy. Which works like a charm.
I sometimes also do the reverse through Steam and stream from my main gaming rig to my living room PC connected to my TV, which isn't as powerful, for more recent or power hungry games.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
If their "application" supports PS4 controllers, can we also hope for some kind of official driver for PS4 pads?
As awkward as it would be it would have to also support flipping to XInput, as a lot of PC releases only support 360 pads, not supporting this would lock out the PS4 pad from playing PC games, which isn't useful.
DS4Windows are doing their best to get the controller working on Windows 10 but it seems difficult, i'm still on 7 and often run into dual input issues with InputMapper, Sony just resolve this please, make it officially supported.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I just read a few days ago about that unofficial program. Maybe that project's exposure got Sony to spill the beans on their version in development.

It's good that they're getting a useful feature that PCs and Xbox have. Even the Wii U has a sort of similar feature (though the range isn't the greatest). Isn't competition great when the customers are the ones who benefit from it?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
008Zulu said:
Why, what's the point? Streaming from one device to another, we saw how useful it was the Steam Box.
I own a PS4 and don't always have the ability to play it as the TV in question is also used for other things by people in the family. Therefore having the ability to stream over the LAN to the PC is enormously useful for me because I don't have to wait for the TV to be freed up for use if I want to play PS4 games.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
NLS said:
Metalrocks said:
Ummm... yes? Assuming this works like on Xbox or Steam, your gaming system of choice streams image and sound to your PC, while your PC sends control input back. Preferably over wired LAN for best results.
On Xbox, this lets me still play Xbox games on my gaming rig even if the living room TV is busy. Which works like a charm.
I sometimes also do the reverse through Steam and stream from my main gaming rig to my living room PC connected to my TV, which isn't as powerful, for more recent or power hungry games.
cool, thanks. so i could play 'the last of us' on my pc using mouse and keyboard. i guess not but still preferable. was thinking of getting a ps4 some time next year.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
008Zulu said:
Why, what's the point? Streaming from one device to another, we saw how useful it was the Steam Box.
Makes streaming consoles insanely easy. For streamers having to spend and extra $250 to $430 on a capture device just to stream Vita games. Then get another for your PS4 because capture devices are console specific.

Streaming or recording video to PC from consoles is an expensive chore, apps like this will make that much easier.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Covarr said:

P.S. Thanks
Search the xda-developers forum for that particular piece of software, I believe the current version is 3.4.

One of the best things that may come of this are official DualShock 4 drivers for windows and mac, although personally I'm still happy with how InputMapper works for me.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Hairless Mammoth said:
I just read a few days ago about that unofficial program. Maybe that project's exposure got Sony to spill the beans on their version in development.

It's good that they're getting a useful feature that PCs and Xbox have. Even the Wii U has a sort of similar feature (though the range isn't the greatest). Isn't competition great when the customers are the ones who benefit from it?
Yeah, the wii u feature at the time needed a lot of custom wifi and video compression features to make the lag low enough to be viable.
Makes you wonder how it's apparently now something you can manage over a standard wifi connection.
Or is it in fact not comparable, and people just don't mention the lag?
Confusing...

Though I guess the PS4 and Xbox One both do background video recording anyway, so half the problem was already accounted for...

Eh. Whatever. Why would I put a console in the living room in the first place? Waste of time given my shoddy TV... XD

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Cool. Seems only logical for Sony to get behind this. Valve is doing it. Nvidia is doing it. Microsoft's doing it. Would be pointless not to do it too. To remain competitive they have to either copy or emulate the features of their competitors devices or services, or they have to add something just as useful or compelling.

008Zulu said:
Why, what's the point?
Circumventing the need for capture devices, for one. Cutting out the need for multiple TVs for multiple consoles, for another. It's also useful for anyone with either limited living space or shared display devices. If someone wants to use the TV you can just stream your game to your PC without having to shut off the console and move it.

I'm not saying it's something everyone needs, but there are definitely some who might.

Streaming from one device to another, we saw how useful it was the Steam Box.
What do you mean? I've been using my Steam Link for a few weeks now and it's been fantastic. I can keep my PC in the 'study', utilizing my eyefinity setup, but on-the-fly switch to playing on the TV in the den. It's made playing or watching games with my roommates or friends infinitely easier. I can go from playing SOMA alone to playing a local game of Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime with my friend without having to cram another chair in behind my desk. Hell, just last week I and my roommates used my Link to watch the Frankfurt Majors on the primary TV. It was like an extended football party, of sorts. Never had to move my PC to do it.

I don't get the hate, honestly. The Steam hardware have been great thus far.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
bluegate said:
Covarr said:

P.S. Thanks
Search the xda-developers forum for that particular piece of software, I believe the current version is 3.4.

One of the best things that may come of this are official DualShock 4 drivers for windows and mac, although personally I'm still happy with how InputMapper works for me.
I've got that already, but not everyone knows how to sideload apps, unofficial versions aren't going to receive any formal support from Sony, and not coming from the Play Store means it won't auto-update. Having it officially supported would very much be a better experience.

P.S. Thanks

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Does this mean I'll be able to play my precious Dragon Age Inquisition while the other half hogs the PS4 for Fallout 4?

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
soren7550 said:
Does this mean I'll be able to play my precious Dragon Age Inquisition while the other half hogs the PS4 for Fallout 4?
No. With this, the PS4 streams the image data of the game it is playing to a computer. Your PS4 will be running Dragon Age Inquisition and your PC monitor will show you the screen of the game.