Playstation 5 Review - THE next gen.....controller.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So I got lucky as hell and got my hands on a Playstation 5, got my Demon's souls fix, got my Spider-Man fix, collected some....bugfoods, and dabbled in a playroom. Now I feel pretty comfortable giving a review of the Next Generation of Playstation consoles.

To be perfectly clear, I've been a Sony fanboy since the Ps1. I've gotten every single console at launch. And I love Playstation in general. So fair warning that I can't be completely unbias in this review, but it is what it is and I like what i like.

I love this system.....or rather. I love the Controller for this system. Because honestly, the system itself feels mostly like a faster Playstation 4. The UI isn't terribly different though it offers a few new features, the only real difference between the PS5 and a PS4 is the speed in which this system can do everything. Games themselves admittedly don't really look that much better. Though honestly I have vision issues so I can't really tell the difference between 4k and 1440p and above. Details and such in games like Demon's Souls I can tell are going to be a step above where we are now, and that seems to be the key different with next gen is the level of detail will only continue to improve, textures on rocks, foilage on the ground, clutter, fine details on doors, weapons and characters, etc.

But the real gem here is the speed. The system loads fast, the games load fast, it offers very little downtime beyond the initial download and install of a game. Demon's Souls for example took about 20 minutes to install, download whatever extra shit it needed and was ready to play. But once it was ready....holy shit it was READY. Even from first boot up, that splash screen at the games first load is only like 5 seconds and you're going. Every load screen in game was too fast for me to even take a drink of water before the game was going. And every game is like this. Spider-mans loads from the start menu in 3 seconds. Fucking three!

On top of the nearly instant loading, the games run flawlessly in performance modes. The high graphical settings are still a bit too much for the console and frame rates stutter and struggle when playing with ray tracing and all the fancy shit. Which makes sense, these aren't PC's yet despite trying their damn hardest. However the performance modes look just as good, and the beauty of them is that promise of 60fps is finally true on consoles. Demon's Souls didn't falter once in my entire playthrough, at least not that i could tell. Spider-Man I'm not done with yet, but it too feels perfect.

So yeah performance wise and speed wise, the Playstation does exactly what they promised. Fast as fuck loading, and buttery smooth fps in performance modes. Those people who were hoping for ULTRA graphics settings 8k, 120fps, from a console....well they're gonna have to wait another generation or two. Maybe never as the console tech will just never be able to catch up to the latest and greatest PC capability. But unless you are a graphics snob you aren't going to be able to notice much, if any, difference between the modes and performance mode will almost always be the way to go.

All that is nice and all, but none of that is really all that special.

What makes the Playstation 5 special is this insane controller. The tech in this thing makes me wonder why Microsoft didn't even bother to try to do anything new, because the Duel Sense PS5 controller makes gaming feel new all over again.

The haptic feedback has officially blown my mind. The level of detail that the controller can convey through simple vibrations is crazy. Spider-Man Mile Morales, for example, starts with Miles on the subway, and the controller vibrates with the Thub-thub, of the train passing over the tracks. Not only that but the vibration moves from one side of the controller to the other as if you can FEEL the direction fucking tracks are moving under Mile's feet. This is further expanded through the resistance of the triggers that changed dynamically. As you webswing around the city, the triggers will increase and ease tensions as if you feel the difference in the web tension as Miles swings through the air. It's fucking crazy.

In Astro's Playroom (the tech demo pack in title) you walk around the beach in the first area. The controller....it's hard to describe...but you feel like you are walking on the sand. When you use your water jetpack, you can feel the pressure of the water strong at first and gradually weaken as you run out of juice. The sensations that this controller provides is unlike anything i would have every thought possible from a controller.

In Demon's Souls you don't really use the triggers much so the experience is a little different, but there are lots of sensations that the controller provides that add to the emersion of the world in a very unexpected way. You can feel when an arrow just zips past your head, you can feel the impact of your weapon into an enemy shield, you can feel the flutter of nearby fire when things explode or even just the torches on the wall.

As active as the controller seems, none of it is distracting from what you are playing. Because the controller never abuses its features. Every rumble, every trigger adaptation, all fits with what's going on in game. It never brings you out of it and never provides a bunch of vibration for no reason.

The PS5 controller is, I believe, a fucking game changer. It adds so much more to the games than I ever thought it would or could.

I think Ps5 is the console to get, simply because of the controller......and also the exclusives.....but mostly the controller. It's the feature of the system that not only sets it apart from the Xbox Series X, but also sets it apart from any gaming system ever before.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It’s funny because I remember a lot of people even on this very board were pretty cynical about how fast the loading would be, even after the original Spiderman comparison. As for the controller, I can’t wait to see what the next God of War will feel like with the ax and blades. And RAAAAGE mode lmao wtfbbq.

Also I really, really hope Guerrilla Games does another Killzone after the next Horizon and just goes nuts with the new tech and also 3D audio. Basically see how KZ2 can be topped after two generations but also hire a good writer like they had for Horizon for the story.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
It’s funny because I remember a lot of people even on this very board were pretty cynical about how fast the loading would be, even after the original Spiderman comparison. As for the controller, I can’t wait to see what the next God of War will feel like with the ax and blades. And RAAAAGE mode lmao wtfbbq.

Also I really, really hope Guerrilla Games does another Killzone after the next Horizon and just goes nuts with the new tech and also 3D audio. Basically see how KZ2 can be topped after two generations but also hire a good writer like they had for Horizon for the story.
Oh for sure. I mean this is very early days of the console and already the controller is crazy. I can't imagine the shit developers will be able to get it to do after a year or two of being able to mess with it.

And use a good pair of 7.1 headphones with these games, because the audio is unreal. I don't have a good set up for sound myself, so it's either shitty Tv speakers (not even a 4k tv either) or my headphones and my headphones make a world of difference.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Yeah, the controller is divine. Not just the features but the sheer comfort as well. It feels like it disappears in your hands while you play. I also love how the buttons are a bit more protruded. Demon's Souls is still..well Demon's Souls but the lighting and texture work is unbelievably pretty and really elevates the experience. There is also a smoothness to the animation quality that is kept consistent throughout. I played DkS3 while waiting for DeS to download and that game also runs a lot better at a super smooth framerate and zero jutter or tearing.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Oh for sure. I mean this is very early days of the console and already the controller is crazy. I can't imagine the shit developers will be able to get it to do after a year or two of being able to mess with it.

And use a good pair of 7.1 headphones with these games, because the audio is unreal. I don't have a good set up for sound myself, so it's either shitty Tv speakers (not even a 4k tv either) or my headphones and my headphones make a world of difference.

I have the PS Platinum 7.1 ones so if they’re compatible that’s awesome.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yeah, the controller is divine. Not just the features but the sheer comfort as well. It feels like it disappears in your hands while you play. I also love how the buttons are a bit more protruded. Demon's Souls is still..well Demon's Souls but the lighting and texture work is unbelievably pretty and really elevates the experience. There is also a smoothness to the animation quality that is kept consistent throughout. I played DkS3 while waiting for DeS to download and that game also runs a lot better at a super smooth framerate and zero jutter or tearing.

Does the controller do anything special for feedback in PS4 games too or is it just a basic rumble effect? Guessing that’s the case because PS5 games are specially programmed for the haptics stuff.

I’ve tried it on my PS3 but it doesn’t even have rumble and the PS button doesn’t do anything. Just basic functionality.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Does the controller do anything special for feedback in PS4 games too or is it just a basic rumble effect? Guessing that’s the case because PS5 games are specially programmed for the haptics stuff.

I’ve tried it on my PS3 but it doesn’t even have rumble and the PS button doesn’t do anything. Just basic functionality.
The kind of subtle differences in rumble I didn't really notice in DkS3. Like you said just like the haptics stuff it's probably programmed into the game.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I have the PS Platinum 7.1 ones so if they’re compatible that’s awesome.

Some setup info for you. The ps5 found my ps4 on the network and automatically offered to transfer over all my saves and installed games. So all the data from the ps4 games i wanted came over pretty much automatically and only took like 20minutes to move over. So that was a really nice touch.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Some setup info for you. The ps5 found my ps4 on the network and automatically offered to transfer over all my saves and installed games. So all the data from the ps4 games i wanted came over pretty much automatically and only took like 20minutes to move over. So that was a really nice touch.
Ok that’s cool, but glad I’m waiting for a later model with hopefully a bigger SSD because my PS4 has pretty much a full TB as it is. I suppose I wouldn’t have to transfer all of it though.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Ok that’s cool, but glad I’m waiting for a later model with hopefully a bigger SSD because my PS4 has pretty much a full TB as it is. I suppose I wouldn’t have to transfer all of it though.
It lets you pick and choose what you want. I didnt bring over much because i still have my ps4 hooked up and there wasnt anything i had that would have an immediate upgrade for ps5. Except nioh 2.

Attachments

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It lets you pick and choose what you want. I didnt bring over much because i still have my ps4 hooked up and there wasnt anything i had that would have an immediate upgrade for ps5. Except nioh 2.

You know what’s crazy, is how exponential game installs have gotten going from 7th gen to 8th gen, yet the former is what was supposed to have all the space-hogging prerendered cutscenes taking up space. If everything now is running off the game engine, what the hell is taking up all that space?

Are 1080p visuals really 5-6x larger than 720p? Sound quality certainly hasn’t been improved much, if at all.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
You know what’s crazy, is how exponential game installs have gotten going from 7th gen to 8th gen, yet the former is what was supposed to have all the space-hogging prerendered cutscenes taking up space. If everything now is running off the game engine, what the hell is taking up all that space?

Are 1080p visuals really 5-6x larger than 720p? Sound quality certainly hasn’t been improved much, if at all.
4k visuals now, and those texture files are big. Though to be frank game files havent really gotten much bigger since the start of the ps4 generation.

Godfall for example is 46gb and thats a brand new ps5 title. Assassin's Creed Vahallalallala is also about 46gb maybe a little bigger. Yakuza is only 32gb. Games are pretty stable around 30-50gigs and have been for years. The Demon's Souls remake for as crazy good as it looks....only 56gb, no big deal.

Of course there are some out lying games that are bigger. CoD, RDR2, ff7, etc. But truthfully there arent that many. Dark Souls Remastered is 8gb. And most indie's are less than 10.

I think people look at those big games and think that's normal but it aint. While some games this generation may end up 80gb+ i dont think many will break 100gb.

Edit: just double checked. FF7REMAKE is 86gb so it doesnt even break 100gb

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
The system is a bit on the big side though. Regular ps4 for scale.
Holy crap that is one fat thicc boi

Anyway, is 4K supposed to be standard now? Or even 1440p? Because I don't actually know anyone who owns a 4K TV. I remember everyone complaining how the last generation couldn't even dream of supporting 4k, and 6 years later, I still don't give a fuck if I can play in 4K or not. So if I do buy a PS5, what will happen if I plug it into a 1080p TV?

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I just use the PS5 SSD for PS5 games and an external 2TB HDD for PS4 games. Hopefully there will be an update soon that will include external SSD support. But not really a problem now as I have only one PS5 game. xD Maybe I'll transfer my most favorite PS4 games to the SSD for faster loads.

Last edited:

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Holy crap that is one fat thicc boi

Anyway, is 4K supposed to be standard now? Or even 1440p? Because I don't actually know anyone who owns a 4K TV. I remember everyone complaining how the last generation couldn't even dream of supporting 4k, and 6 years later, I still don't give a fuck if I can play in 4K or not. So if I do buy a PS5, what will happen if I plug it into a 1080p TV?
It will still look nice but obviously not as nice as 4K/OLED, let alone 8K. I'd say 4K is really minimum standard now.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
How does the dpad feel in comparison to a ps4 pad's? I'm not too worried about any controller but I need a solid dpad for fighting games and it's always a bit of a transitional period when you break in a new pad. The ps4 pad was prolly the softest and easiest to break in though so I wonder if they kept it similar.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
How does the dpad feel in comparison to a ps4 pad's? I'm not too worried about any controller but I need a solid dpad for fighting games and it's always a bit of a transitional period when you break in a new pad. The ps4 pad was prolly the softest and easiest to break in though so I wonder if they kept it similar.
I don't play fighting games but it's definitely the most comfortable and ergonomic pad I've ever used. It really is a product of iteration and improvement.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
So the fancy rumble sounds like what the Switch already has (though potentially better, I haven't felt a PS5 yet by any means), so I googled this thing and found they've also put gyro controls in, so that's fantastic. They found the Nintendo tricks they could improve their games with and used them. I was thinking maybe I'd grab a new playstation or xbox down the line, and this thread might have inspired me to lean one way over the other.