Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale Preview

Justin Amirkhani

Does Video Game Stuff
Jan 31, 2011
Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale Preview

Take a sneak peek at the upcoming Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale.

Read Full Article

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
The charge AP mechanic just sounds boring to me, the most fun my friends and I had in Smash Bros. was from the normal attacks executed perfectly to do a ring out. If I had to see Link's special sword attack or Mario's special fireballs every time I earned a kill I wouldn't have bought the game.

I am looking forward to see the full cast but so far I'm not interested there either...

happy_turtle

Apr 11, 2010
Yeah I agree with newwiseman here, the whole thing just sounds gimmiky and isn't really registering any excitement here.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Wow... it couldn't try to rip Super Smash Brother's any more if it tried. I've tried to devend Sony for a long while, but even I can't turn a blind eye to this without first going "WTF"

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
So... Radek isnt packing his personal teleporter? Why?

In other news im not exactly hyped for this. Theres just too little to go on at the moment.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Does anyone else feel they could use this to help resurrect old franchises they don't do anything with? Like if they lowered the price and had some older characters for DLC to measure how much people care about them. Like if they put Dart or Rose from The Legend of Dragoon as DLC to see how many people would want another Legend of Dragoon game. Granted I'm working under the highly unlikely assumption that they would lower the price of this at all.

Zero Serenity

Nov 21, 2009
A whole six characters? Even the original Smash Bros had 12. I think we're too soon to call this game a good idea.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Zero Serenity said:
A whole six characters? Even the original Smash Bros had 12. I think we're too soon to call this game a good idea.
The characters aren't exactly powerhouses either.

Outside of Japan, what're the 'smallest' characters on there at release time? Probably Ness, really. It's kinda hard to judge the 'most' unknown of the rest, but the most well known (Mario, Link, Pikachu) are powerhouses of popularity in their own right.

I mean...Radek? Really? He was a villain in one Killzone game.

They're gonna have to do better. The 'preview' shots should be the stills which get people hyped up for the game and...yeah, not feeling it. Honestly? I think this'd work better if you had a "Microsoft vs. Sony" game with exclusives from both. Release it on both platforms, aim for cross-platform gameplay.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Amnestic said:
Honestly? I think this'd work better if you had a "Microsoft vs. Sony" game with exclusives from both. Release it on both platforms, aim for cross-platform gameplay.
We can only dream...

Other than that, I might give this a try, but some characters are too obscure in these games, like Radek. I heard a lot of PS exclusive characters will be present but when I saw Radek, it looked like that was being stretched a little bit.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
This one guy said:
Its Radec not radek.
It's "throwaway villain", not "Radec". /snark

I mean, hell, I get it. I do. He's rocking the Space Nazi Stormtrooper [http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-j00ltsBBW0Y/Ty1rxDCrGMI/AAAAAAAAATo/8C_jpKaV_zU/s1600/iratekillzone2.jpg] look something fierce, but really? They went with him? Why not Luger? [http://killzone.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_Marshal_Luger] She was in at least two games, even if one was a forgettable spinoff.

I fully expect Nathan Drake to show up in this game, but don't you think he would've made a far superior character to tease players with and get them hyped up?

I suppose it kinda sucks for Sony really. For so long, MGS was a mainstay of the Playstation, then we had MGS2+3 on the PS2, and MGS4 was a huge deal for the PS3. And what happens?

Smash Bros. Brawl nabs Solid Snake out from under them.

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
I've been waiting for Sony to make this game for years. Smash Brothers is the only game that makes me wish I had a Wii and I could never warrant spending the money for just one game. Now they just better not screw it up... give me a large cast and good gameplay and I'll be satisfied.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
SoopaSte123 said:
I've been waiting for Sony to make this game for years. Smash Brothers is the only game that makes me wish I had a Wii and I could never warrant spending the money for just one game. Now they just better not screw it up... give me a large cast and good gameplay and I'll be satisfied.
As I've said elsewhere, the tragedy of this game is the fact that it's being made now and not two generations ago for the Playstation. Back then, Sony could have gotten away with using Crash Bandicoot, Sir Dan (Medievil series, Spyro and, many others. Back before they went multi-platform or, fell into obscurity.

E3 is in a few weeks so hopefully there will be more characters shown off. The article made it sound like the six listed were the only ones who would be in the game and that would just be absolutely insane. The only other fighting game I can think of to have that few characters was the original Mortal Kombat. Sony can't really expect their game to do well with only 6 character. Even if they add more as DLC, releasing a game disc with only 6 playable characters would be moronic in this day and age.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
No Soul Reaver, I guess their only going for newer characters... but then whys Perappa there?

Im surprised more developers don't do this, I guess most don't have a big/famous enough roster.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Zero Serenity said:
I'm like 99.9% certain that these are just the revealed characters, and the only reason anything is known about them is that they were in the released demo build footage. There was a screenshot (yesterday I think), that showed the making of another character from the game, and apparently it was someone from ICO (that's what was being said. As someone who never played ICO I had no idea if it makes sense or which character it was supposed to be).

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Amnestic said:
This one guy said:
Its Radec not radek.
It's "throwaway villain", not "Radec". /snark

I mean, hell, I get it. I do. He's rocking the Space Nazi Stormtrooper [http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-j00ltsBBW0Y/Ty1rxDCrGMI/AAAAAAAAATo/8C_jpKaV_zU/s1600/iratekillzone2.jpg] look something fierce, but really? They went with him? Why not Luger? [http://killzone.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_Marshal_Luger] She was in at least two games, even if one was a forgettable spinoff.

I fully expect Nathan Drake to show up in this game, but don't you think he would've made a far superior character to tease players with and get them hyped up?
The thing about hype is timing. This is a bad time for us to be super-hyped because when the game comes out months (a year? more?) later they'll have used up their best cards and we'll have forgotten about it.

Whats more from a dev perspective, these might be the 6 characters they've finished the most work on.

But then they can't drip feed at too slow a rate either, I think the Killzone dude was a mistake and maybe Pappa (although it does show they're going for some of the friendly characters too) but Sly, Princess and Kratos were all really awesome characters to reveal and since we basically know they're going to have Drake too we can have fun imaging what his character is going to be like (theoretically). I hope they get the maneuverability and charm of Drake in, instead of just making him a brawler.

We're almost certainly going to get Cole too and hopefully Sackboy, an awesome joke character would be Flower ( :D ) but other than that I'm finding it hard to guess who else would be in there. Motorstorm and Gran Turismo aren't character abundant and some of the other good exclusives (Valkyria Chronicles, Heavenly Sword) aren't Sony things.

For the people calling out Smash Brothers clone, this AP thing is a big deal, it almost completely changes the idea of Smash Brothers and I think it's less a clone, just in the way we called Saints Row games GTA clones and League Of Legends DOTA clones.

I'm a little disappointed, what I _wanted_ was basically a Smash Brothers clone :(

Volothos

Dec 31, 2008
I fucking swear, Noire from Hyperdimension neptunia better be in this. Or Laharl.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
...people think this will only have 6 characters? Really? Say what you will about Sony, but odds are they're smarter than that to only think of 6 characters

Still not sure about this. The problem with these franchises is that they clash horribly. Sure Brawl clashed a little, but it was the bright campness of Nintendo that made it seem ok and became the only fighting game I enjoy. This...not so much. I know that odds are the game is still in the works, but something is deffinitely off.

Also, this game does not get approved until I see Ratchet and Jak screens and/or announcements.
Special approval if they are seen fighting each other
I bug my friends to buy it if Sly is in the mix too
I buy if I see Jak punching Nathan Drake in the face
I drive a hard bargain, but my tastes are simple.

Note: Lost Frontier Jak will cancel out everything previously mentioned. Anything else is fine from Precursor Legacy to Jak X (troll-hair Jak vs angsty Jak doesn't matter too much. They have their own advantages during combat like RBY eco vs guns and D/L eco ), but I will say that Jak 2 is my favourite game in the franchise. Justsayingisall.

Also, am I the only one who thinks putting Ico or Wander in this game is a bad idea? Neither character really gives me the impression of a fighter. Ico is a little kid who only swings his stick because for about half the game he has nothing else. Wander is a lover, not a fighter. Have you SEEN him swing that sword? Stabbing colossi is one thing. When he swings, it's like he's doing it the way he sees in the movies as opposed to someone who actually knows what they're doing. He's no Link, that's for sure. However, I would like a SOTC level design. Oh the possibilities.