PlayStation CEO Hopes 2008 Was "As Bad As it Gets"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
PlayStation CEO Hopes 2008 Was "As Bad As it Gets"

Sony Computer Entertainment America [http://www.us.playstation.com/] CEO Jack Tretton said 2008 was like being lashed to a mast in the midst of a storm but added that he's hopeful last year was "as bad as it gets."

Sony put out ten million Fast Company [http://www.playstation.com], Tretton echoed those comments by saying that while there have been moments of doubt, Sony is sticking to its plan.

"It's like being out there in a storm - it does cause you to question your conviction, and tie yourself to the mast and weather the storm," he said. "We have hit a very challenging period of trying to sell future technology, a high-end device, but [it] is on the high-end retail pricing spectrum at a time when people's disposable income is limited. But I think the fact we were successful in that says people are getting the message, that you get tremendous value when you buy a PlayStation product. Yes there are cheaper machines out there, but not ones that deliver the degree of value for the money that ours does."

While 2008 may have been ugly, Tretton sees better things coming for this year and beyond. "Hopefully last year is as bad as it gets. I think all indicators are that 2009 is going better than 2008," Tretton said. "My hope is that as our production efficiencies improve and more great games come to market, the horizon has got to be better for 2009 and 2010."

"I feel like the PS3 is perfectly positioned. You like playing DVDs, but you're not ready for Blu-ray? Fine, our machine plays them," he continued. "Are you interested in disc-based content, or digital content? Because we can play both. And we can stream digital downloads of TV shows and movies in standard definition or high definition. So whatever the argument is, I feel like the PS3 is perfectly positioned to be the toll booth that everybody runs through."

via: Edge Online [http://www.edge-online.com/news/sony-%E2%80%9Chopefully-last-year-is-as-bad-as-it-gets%E2%80%9D]

TxMxRonin

Jan 1, 2009
The Tre has some great games coming out this year and next year. It's making a comeback.

TundraWolf

Dec 6, 2008
I really don't think there's going to be a big issue with Sony making a decent profit this year. I mean, the one complaint that I've always heard from people has been that the PS3 doesn't have enough games to warrant buying it. But, with recent releases, and the amazing amount of upcoming releases in the remainder of this year and next, I feel pretty confident in saying that the PS3 is going to see a marked increase in sales.

Which is good for everyone, I think.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Well you see they'll make a profit from people buying games for the console not the console itself, if they want to sell more, they need to cut the price.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
I guess Jack doesn't realize America is about to hit double digit unemployment rates in a matter of months, if not weeks. Something tells me that will hardly bolster their sales.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
TundraWolf said:
I really don't think there's going to be a big issue with Sony making a decent profit this year. I mean, the one complaint that I've always heard from people has been that the PS3 doesn't have enough games to warrant buying it. But, with recent releases, and the amazing amount of upcoming releases in the remainder of this year and next, I feel pretty confident in saying that the PS3 is going to see a marked increase in sales.

But on the other hand, the other consoles get more games as well.

I'm still thinking of getting one (PS3) so it's nice to know wether or not to wait for a price cut.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
With some great titles coming out (AKA Demon's Souls, White Knight Chronicles, Uncharted 2, and others that I can't remember atm) I think the sales will do just nicely.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
This does appear to be a more positive stance than of recent times for SONY. Here's hoping they get it together and realize a price drop called for by consumers is a sign they actually want to buy their system.

I've already got one, even I can see a price cut leading to a larger fan base is a great thing.

Apr 28, 2008
Kwil said:
Note his comments don't touch the gaming aspect of the PS3 at all.

This jibes with what I've been saying for a bit. The games market for the PS3 is purely a secondary consideration, and they don't care if it goes belly up so long as the PS3 cements Blu-Ray as the next content distribution media.
Didn't they already do that?

All I want is God of War 3, Uncharted 2, and Ratchet and Clank: A crack in time, and then I'll be happy.

TundraWolf

Dec 6, 2008
teisjm said:
TundraWolf said:

I'm still thinking of getting one (PS3) so it's nice to know wether or not to wait for a price cut.
I don't know. Stuff like inFamous, Resistance: Fall of Man and Resistance 2, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, LittleBigPlanet, Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, and upcoming titles like Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Heavy Rain, God of War 3, The Last Guardian, and the exclusive Joker content for Batman: Arkham Asylum are all exclusive titles for the PS3 only. Those are all some really big name games, and, though I admit to not doing a ton of research on it, the only exclusive title for the 360 that I've heard any hype about lately has been Halo 3: ODST.

I don't enjoy the whole exclusive debate, but I do see the point that it has from an economic standpoint, and, as far as the PS3 is concerned, they are pretty set for the foreseeable future in that regard.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
I'm pretty sure the PS3 is headed in the right direction; this year's E3 announced some games that people simply won't be able to keep away from. I'm really tempted to go out and buy the console. There's only one problem; IT'S STILL TOO EXPENSIVE.

Sure, the Sony dropped it's prices before, but I still have the words "...FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE US DOLLARS..." ringing in my head. Make it affordable Sony; please.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Christ. He better have a good reason for not lowering the damn price. All the crap Sony have spewed so far are vague and off the point.

I WANT A REASON, SONEH!

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
If the exclusives can pull through, this could be a good year for Sony.

On the other hand, they've had middling sales so far considering the exclusives that they've already released.

I think that while there are a lot of good games coming out for the platform, people are still going to avoid buying it due to the price. Sure, sales will increase (a lot) but (in my opinion) it won't be nearly as much as Sony supporters will hope. I feel that the price and lack of BC (until Sony gets that emulator action nailed down) will continue to drive away the average consumer.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
TundraWolf said:
teisjm said:
TundraWolf said:

I don't know. Stuff like inFamous, Resistance: Fall of Man and Resistance 2, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, LittleBigPlanet, Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, and upcoming titles like Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Heavy Rain, God of War 3, The Last Guardian, and the exclusive Joker content for Batman: Arkham Asylum are all exclusive titles for the PS3 only. Those are all some really big name games, and, though I admit to not doing a ton of research on it, the only exclusive title for the 360 that I've heard any hype about lately has been Halo 3: ODST.

I don't enjoy the whole exclusive debate, but I do see the point that it has from an economic standpoint, and, as far as the PS3 is concerned, they are pretty set for the foreseeable future in that regard.
I was thinking about Metroid prime trilogy (not new i know), metroid other M, Mario Galaxy 2, new zelda, new halo.

I know I was gleeful as a rugrat with a bag full of candy when i ehard how much stuff tehre was to look forward to on the wii (wii owner btw)

A lot of good games are also shared between the PS3 and 360, in which case many people would still neglect the PS3 cause it's pricy.

not trying to start a console falme war, i wish i could just own all 3, but I got more urgent stuff i need to spend my money on, though i'm strongly thinking of getting a PS3, cause theres not a single good game shared between the PS3 and the Wii, so i'm missing out on tons of good games.

SharedProphet

Oct 9, 2008
LOL [http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2009/07/09/trettons-storm/].
Jack Tretton said:
"I feel like the PS3 is perfectly positioned. You like playing DVDs, but you're not ready for Blu-ray? Fine, our machine plays them," he continued.
Potential Customer: Right... but I already have things that play DVDs. I don't need your machine.
Jack Tretton said:
"Are you interested in disc-based content, or digital content? Because we can play both.
Potential Customer: I don't care, I'm interested in content. Disc-based/digital doesn't matter. And your machine is not the only one with content.
Jack Tretton said:
And we can stream digital downloads of TV shows and movies in standard definition or high definition.
Potential Customer: I don't care if it is "streaming," I care about content. If I want standard definition, I already have things that do that, or can get them for less. I don't need your machine. If I want high definition, there are a lot of other machines that do that for less.
Jack Tretton said:
So whatever the argument is, I feel like the PS3 is perfectly positioned to be the toll booth that everybody runs through."
Potential Customer: Even if my argument is that you are charging a lot of money for something with little to no benefit for me (the only benefit being the incredibly small number of exclusive games which might be worth playing)? I see. Well I appreciate you trying to convince me to buy your "toll booth." No, thanks.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Khell_Sennet said:
I don't think Sony gets it...

It doesn't matter what a tremendous value you believe your product to be, the customer decides what value it is to him or her, and at $400+, most people are saying "Not Enough" of one.
They have one thing to justify it.

Blu-Ray. But that's not enough. there are cheaper Blu-Ray players OTHER than the PS3.

So if there biggest selling point is right now cheaper, the price should be cheaper. 400+ bucks is a fuck ton of money, and people are willing to spend it when they themselves can justify it, and there happens to be a lot if they can plop down the money for it.

Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance 1-2, inFamous, Ratchet and Clank, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Gran Turismo 5, Uncharted, the list goes on and on.

Tretton needs to get his head out of his ass, and realize he's selling a fucking videogame system, not a Media Center.