PlayStation CEO Hopes 2008 Was "As Bad As it Gets"

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
gof22 said:
I must agree. It is pointless and childish to fight over consoles. We should all be sensible, civil, and mature.
Indeed:

It's not that hard guys, really, it's not.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Treblaine said:
Look, the point is that I don't like those games. I at least have some good games to look forward to on the PS3. Why is it wrong that those games don't appeal to me? Maybe I've had enough of Metroid or enough of Mario games. Maybe I've had enough of shooters and games that all follow the same plot.

When did I need to explain myself to you anyway? It's not fair that you get to say that no game on the PS3 is innovative, yet when I don't like other games, I have to explain myself. How is that fair?

Oh wait. Is it because of the fact they're on the PS3? Hmm? Hating on Ps3 exclusives is just fine, right? IT automatically gives you a reason to not like any of them, but if I don't like other games, then suddenly I have to play twenty questions.

Let me tell you what games I like. Games like Ratchet and Clank, Dark Cloud, Armored Core, Lost Planet (unplayable on the 360 because of the controller. Urgh DX) various Megaman titles, ranging from Classics to Legends, and of course RTS titles like Starcraft and Star Wars: Empire at War. Because I have a Ps3 and a partially working PC, I can enjoy all these titles. And thanks to the magic of emulators, I don't need the VC.

So let me put it straight to you. The 360 and the Wii offer nothing to me but maybe four games combined. They obviously offer much more to other people, but the games they have are just not worth it in my eyes. I don't ever feel like playing Bioshock or Fallout3 or Mass Effect, because truthfully they all feel the same, even though they're different genres. Post apocalyptic super warriors in space or whatever. If I don't feel like playing them, that's my business.

Since you never explained why you hate all the exclusives on the PS3 minus the one you said you were waiting for, I see no reason to continue, unless you can detail for me why you hate every single game in this thread: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.124820#2581300

I'm mature enough to agree there are good games on every console, and fighting over them shouldn't be so frivolous, like the guy above me says. But if you're really gonna try and convince me that the Ps3 is so damn inferior in the gaming department, then perhaps you should be on probation.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Assassinator said:
gof22 said:
I must agree. It is pointless and childish to fight over consoles. We should all be sensible, civil, and mature.
Indeed:

You fucking win, I don't even know what prize to give you.

Jimmyjames

Jan 4, 2008
Jumplion said:
And as for the blu-ray player, I heard that the PS3 is a very good stand alone Blu-ray player for it's price and the cheaper stand-alone Blu-ray players aren't very good compared to higher end players like the PS3 and other more expensive ones.
It's not just good for its price, it's pretty much the best, period. Why? Sony's updates keep the Blu-ray profile up to the minute current. It will play basically ANY Blu-ray, something that is not always true with all players. Most home theater enthusiasts recommend the PS3 for Blu-ray playback. Authoring houses even use PS3s to QA their discs.

The PS3 has the most bang for the buck, period. You can do far more with a PS3 than an XBox 360, fact. Problem is, Jack Tretton is assuming that everyone WANTS to do all that with the PS3. When it comes down to it, (most) people buy consoles to play games, something that the Wii demonstrated. There's definitely a "cool shit" factor when a PS3 owner actually figures out all the stuff a PS3 can do, but it ultimately comes down to gaming experience. Sony would do well to drop the price a bit and overhaul it's online strategy. Home is a good start, but they need so much more.

Jimmyjames

Jan 4, 2008
Assassinator said:
[IMAGE OMITTED]
I love that, I really do. There's something endearing about thinking of my Wii and PS3 as being pals. Currently, my PS3 is consoling my Wii, telling it that even though it hasn't been turned on in 3 months, its owner still loves it. :)

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Jumplion said:
You fucking win, I don't even know what prize to give you.
Thank you, cookies will do good sir. I'm a humble man.
Jimmyjames said:
I love that, I really do. There's something endearing about thinking of my Wii and PS3 as being pals. Currently, my PS3 is consoling my Wii, telling it that even though it hasn't been turned on in 3 months, its owner still loves it. :)
Aa yes, I know that, my PC is reassuring my 360 that I still love him even though my PC gets so much more playtime. What can I say, TF2 is addicting.
Jimmyjames said:
It's not just good for its price, it's pretty much the best, period. Why? Sony's updates keep the Blu-ray profile up to the minute current. It will play basically ANY Blu-ray, something that is not always true with all players. Most home theater enthusiasts recommend the PS3 for Blu-ray playback. Authoring houses even use PS3s to QA their discs.
Indeed, and that's exactly the excuse (although it's not a lie) I tell to my dad to buy a PS3. He hates consoles and gaming in general, and would outright forbid me to buy another console. But since I bought a new HD tv, it's fine to buy a Blu Ray player. And the PS3 just háppens to be the best one out there. And gee, it can play some games as well! *giggles*
Pendragon9 said:
It's not the fact that you don't like them, it's your reasons why you don't like them. I mean, have you actually played Bioshock, Mass Effect and Fallout 3? I don't know, but at least I did, and I honestly cannot understand how you can say that they would feel the same. You don't even play as a 'warrior' in 2 of those games! I have to agree with Treblaine that you're not exactly being fair, you're ruling out games without really playing them, I can't understand why anyone would do that. Heck I can't understand why anyone could have a preconcieved opinion about anything, be it movies or games or music or whatever. "Condemned doesn't look great" but have you actually played it?

I also can't understand your argument that all those titles Treblaine listed didn't innovate. You say you like Armored Core, that's fine obviously, but was it's latest installment so very innovative compared to the previous game? What about the latest Ratchet and Clank? How can you say that you don't like those other titles because they didn't innovate, when some of your favorites are fár from innovative. I mean, you can even load old savegames from previous R&C installments in the new R&C to get your old weapons back, that says enough about how innovative the new R&C is. So I really don't get your argument, Condemned didn't even háve an original premesis to concept, it was a totally new franchise!

It's not thát you wouldn't like those games, it's just that you're being very unfair and kinda unreasonable to the game library of other consoles. The reasons you apply to games of other consoles also apply to some titles you do like, so how is that fair? I don't get it, why not just try them out? Afterall, nothing beats first hand experience.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
gof22 said:
UNKNOWNINCOGNITO said:
60% of this thread says that they need to cut the price
10% make smart comments to how the PS3 will do good because of the large amount of exclusives heading for it

the rest will just make some argument with prices in them.

i shall be different and just say that i don't care because i'm a happy gamer
That was a very sensible,mature and civil comment , good show my fellow escapee

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Assassinator said:
gof22 said:
Indeed:

We are all gamers. What we need is some solidarity.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
gof22 said:
Assassinator said:
gof22 said:
Indeed:

It's not all their fault. The Escapist seems to think flamebait is in this season because we've been seeing a lot of topics like this that cause one group of fanboys to become defensive and another to become smug dbags.

You shouldn't get defensive unless you think you were overcharged for your ps3 and you shouldn't be a smug if you have a 360 that's likely to melt any day now.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Jimmyjames said:
Jumplion said:
And as for the blu-ray player, I heard that the PS3 is a very good stand alone Blu-ray player for it's price and the cheaper stand-alone Blu-ray players aren't very good compared to higher end players like the PS3 and other more expensive ones.

The PS3 has the most bang for the buck, period. You can do far more with a PS3 than an XBox 360, fact. Problem is, Jack Tretton is assuming that everyone WANTS to do all that with the PS3. When it comes down to it, (most) people buy consoles to play games, something that the Wii demonstrated. There's definitely a "cool shit" factor when a PS3 owner actually figures out all the stuff a PS3 can do, but it ultimately comes down to gaming experience. Sony would do well to drop the price a bit and overhaul it's online strategy. Home is a good start, but they need so much more.
[small]I still wonder why you've been named twice...[/small]

But yes, Sony do need to fix up some of their plans, and I think HOME is a good application that people give flak for no real reason. Don't get me wrong, it still needs plenty of work, but it does what it does best; communicate with other people.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
gof22 said:
Assassinator said:
gof22 said:
Indeed:

It's not all their fault. The Escapist seems to think flamebait is in this season because we've been seeing a lot of topics like this that cause one group of fanboys to become defensive and another to become smug dbags.

You shouldn't get defensive unless you think you were overcharged for your ps3 and you shouldn't be a smug if you have a 360 that's likely to melt any day now.

They don't have to get defensive and offensive when reading the articles. They could act like mature and civil people.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
gof22 said:
GonzoGamer said:
gof22 said:
Assassinator said:
gof22 said:
Indeed:

They don't have to get defensive and offensive when reading the articles. They could act like mature and civil people.
These are gamers you're talking about here, I'm not saying we can't be mature and civil but gamers are the biggest suckers on the face of the planet (no offense to the few savvy consumers here) and can't resist falling into a pr trap.

swytchblayd

May 28, 2008
I don't know what people's problems are. No one's brain-washing you into buying their stuff. However, for those having a hard time grasping this, and continuing to call the PS3 a bad deal, let's look at some facts:

If you buy the 360 Arcade version new - the cheapest of the big three major systems (at the very bare minimum, the Wii is still 250 bucks new) - that's 200 dollars, but w/o a hard drive OR wireless, you're basically playing one-shot games. Add just a hard drive so you can save your games, and you're looking at $300 total for a 60GB, 350 for a 120GB; add wireless, and that's 400-450 dollars (and no wireless N access). You could get the Pro Console system @300 dollars, but that only comes with a 60GB hard drive, and STILL doesn't come with wireless, which would boost it up to 400+ dollars.

Now consider this: ALL PS3s come with wireless (A/B/G/N), built in. ALL PS3s have a HDD drive, which is not limited to only 60GB or 120 GB, but to how much you can cram in there from an off-the-shelf laptop SATA-type HDD (I upped my PS3 from 40GBs to 320 after I bought it, and that was only about 100 bucks for 8 times the memory space o_O). The top-of-the-line PS3 bundle comes with a built-in 160GB HDD, and the games that come with it (for whatever reason, though, it isn't backwards-compat w/ PS2 games, which makes no sense) for around 500 bucks; the 80GB system is about a hundred less. The Blu-Ray aspect is nice, even if it takes a bit to get it going (for whatever reason, you have to save it to the hard drive :/ something about cutting down load times... its stupid, but whatever), and the controller is a good enough remote for me.

Also remember that the PS3 played Blu-Ray disks when most players were still a grand or more, and of limited selection. Its not true anymore, but just remember that bit because that's why it has that in the first place; the 360 needed another add-on for another 100 dollars just to play HD-DVD movies, which have become outdated.

Oh, and you can play online for FREE. That's my major crux against Microsoft (besides the RRoD D< ), though I understand its how they keep themselves add-free (aaaaahahahah-*coughcoughhackcough*).

So really, the PS3 isn't that bad of a system. Even if you don't want to play DVDs and Blu-Ray movies on it, you can. Even if you don't give a rip about wireless, it still has it. Even if you could care less about PlayStation Home, or downloading games to it, or even playing the back-catalog of PS1 and (for those that can) PS2 games, it's still there. Its all the little things that make it expensive; take them out and you'd have half the system for maybe about 1/2 the price if you're lucky.

~

Personally, I've yet to have an issue with my PS3, and I bought it used (ie- cheaper). Granted, the amount of downloadable PS1 games is lacking even if there are some good ones on there that are far cheaper than retail, but it still plays all my disk-based ones. On top of that, there's a little thing called unlimited memory cards that has me happier than a lark, as they become harder and harder to find in physical form >.<. The only major crux I have against Sony is this mess with the PS2 backwards compatibility (I got stuck with a non-compat one), but that's why I never ditched my slim PS2 ^-^

I'm not exactly one single console-maker's ***** (except maybe Sega... I have both the Saturn and the Dreamcast and hardly use either, and I owned a Genesis 3 a loooong time ago with a bunch of games... stupid me sold it to buy a PS1 >..<

Thank you, good night, and God bless America >.>
and all that malarkey.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
gof22 said:
GonzoGamer said:
gof22 said:
Assassinator said:
gof22 said:
Indeed:

These are gamers you're talking about here, I'm not saying we can't be mature and civil but gamers are the biggest suckers on the face of the planet (no offense to the few savvy consumers here) and can't resist falling into a pr trap.
True, I still believe they could exercise restraint.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Assassinator said:
Well, it wasn't fair for him to say every PS3 exclusive isn't good when he hasn't played them all. It's not fair that he gets off the hook so easily.

And I may not have played all those games, but I've had enough time with them, seeing trailers, gameplay videos, storyline explanations, and whatnot. So if I don't want to play a game, then you all shouldn't be forcing me and telling me I'm being biased.

And for the record, I find all the games on my list of likes to have innovated very much. If the other games innovated similarly, I would've put them on my list too. That's why I love Wind Waker so much. It's a real Zelda Title, like Ocarina of Time, or A Link to the Past.

I have a right to my opinions. If I don't like a popular game, that's my right. If you think I should like them, you should really back off.

MAY I REMIND YOU that I never said these games were bad. Infact, it's no surprise they're often considered for Game Of the Year. BUT, and let me reitterate this, I JUST DON'T FEEL LIKE BUYING THEM. It's my choice, I have that right, and you can't just tell me I'm wrong. Can you get that through your heads? Hmm? CAN YOU?

I swear, with all this pressure, i'm even more inclined to not buy these games. If I don't feel like buying those games, you don't have any right to tell me to buy them.

Again, let me clarify. THose were my opinions of those games. I never implied they were bad. I just don't feel like playing them. Okay? Please? When did it become a sin to not like certain games?

Now, I would kindly like to end this. I really don't need someone pushing games down my throat simply because I haven't played them.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
Hooo, relax, I'm not attacking you alright? Just having a discussion here.

First of all: I never said that your opinion was bad, nor did I say that you couldn't dislike those games or whatever. I said that you were not being fair. I have no idea why you're suddenly talking about your rights and all that jazz, but that doesn't have anything to do with the discussion at hand and it's completely nonsenical. You're just handwaving here, ignoring the subject.

And the subject was: you're not being fair towards the lists of other platforms. Your argument regarding innovation can be applied to games you do like. I talked with a PS3 lover about this topic. When I said that someone disliked a lot of games that apperantly didn't innovate, yet included Armored Core 4 and Ratchet and Clank to his favorite games, he bursted into laughter. And I can't blaim him, it's ridiculous, complaining that the games of other platforms didn't innovate enough for your taste, yet one of your favs has a feature that allows you to important a save file from a previous installment to get all those weapons again in the new game. How do you justify that then? Again, I'm not saying that that game is suddenly bad, heck I love the R&C series, but it does mean that your argument against other platforms is nonsense. For example, if you responded to the recommendation of Condemned with saying "I don't like survival horror" games or something, then you wouldn't hear anyone about it. But what you do say is that the games on Treblaine's list 'don't innovate on the original concept' and in a couple of cases, like Condemned, that simply isn't true. No one hates you for not liking a game, but making nonsenical arguments doesn't make you any friends.

PS: O and this
Well, it wasn't fair for him to say every PS3 exclusive isn't good when he hasn't played them all. It's not fair that he gets off the hook so easily.
is extremely childish, something a toddler would say and I doubt that you actually are a toddler. Ofcourse it wasn't fair for him to say that, but that doesn't justify you being unfair as well.

WraithGadra

Dec 3, 2007
Pendragon9 said:
Of course, Treblaine hasn't said that PS3 exclusives aren't good. He's just acknowledged Sony's various business missteps, as well as what other platforms have to offer.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Assassinator said:
Let me explain something very simple to you.

A game can be good. IT can even be game of the year. But that doesn't mean I have to play it or like it. The games on the other platforms can be as appealing as they want. That doesn't mean I'm just gonna say I'm wrong and buy them.

The entire reason I bought a Playstation 3 was because those other games just weren't my cup of tea. The innovation issue, i think, can be a very varied subject. What I think as original may be stupid to you. That's fair, right? Clearly I don't have the authority to just declare something as original and then expect all of you to follow me. The reverse also applies. Really, the only reason I told you what I thought of as original is so you could understand what kind of games I like.

But look. If I really wanted to play those games, I could simply save up and buy an XBOX 360 or even a Wii to play them. But they don't appeal to my unique taste.

The game world is unfair. Some good games often aren't played, and bad games often get so much hype. So really, why can't I be content with the choices I have infront of me?

If I really wanted to play something off of the Ps3, then I'd simply turn on an emulator and go into my PC library.

So can we agree on all of that? I don't want people thinking I'm just going around saying games are crappy. All I'm doing is saying I don't like most of them.

Like, for example, I don't like the Metal Gear series because, to me, it can get tedious and too serious after awhile, not to mention Pre-MGS4 cutscenes. I also don't enjoy GTA4 that much. After GTA3 and San Andreas, the concept of blowing up a group of cars with a tank after hijacking a helicopter just didn't have the same magic as it did before. Same with Killzone (played the demo. Was meh) or Monster Hunter or Super Paper Mario or any of those games. They're all original and fun and have their audiences. Obviously I;m not in them.

Again, not saying the games are bad, but I just don't like them. I thought I'd just tell you that.

Assassinator said:
is extremely childish, something a toddler would say and I doubt that you actually are a toddler. Ofcourse it wasn't fair for him to say that, but that doesn't justify you being unfair as well.
Yet you skipped over it completely and took his side. I guess you just enjoy insulting people. I wish we could've had a simple discussion, but it had to turn into an insult fest.

Just know I won't return the insult. I'm sorry if my opinion gets me called a toddler and a Sony fanboy.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Kwil said:
Note his comments don't touch the gaming aspect of the PS3 at all.

This jibes with what I've been saying for a bit. The games market for the PS3 is purely a secondary consideration, and they don't care if it goes belly up so long as the PS3 cements Blu-Ray as the next content distribution media.
Thats because, well, they're sony...remember when they cared about actually making high-performance TV's and DVD players? I kinda preferred them then, because they are just kinda treating the PS3 like a media player more than an actual game console...
And, dont know which rock hes been living under, but I doubt in this economy that his sales will take off, considering the Ps3's price.

Its still coming 3rd place in the console wars, sales wise, and while my personal favourite contender, the 360, is second...the wii is first. And even throughout everything nintendo have done to completely ignore, ditch and then insult its ex-core fanbase, its still the console that focuses on gaming rather than, say, playing movies, and alas, its actually winning the console wars...

Of course, seeing as the escapist is pretty much hardcore PC, Ps3 and 360 addicts, its hard to imagine.

And yeah, I hate the wii, and nintendo are on thin ice.
Their last chance is that hinted zelda game...