PlayStation CEO Hopes 2008 Was "As Bad As it Gets"

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Considering I can purchase a 360 AND a Blu Ray player for around 450 bucks why would I want to dish out for a system with a smaller library and an inferior network infrastructure? Online games are the big draw right now and so is digital content. 360 has a fantastic edge over the PS3 Blu Ray "Toll" of 150-200 bucks, just from the XBLM/XBLA and provides a lot more excellent content than the PSN.

Is this because the base of 360 owners is higher or is it that the PS3 dev tools are more cost intensive for developers? The metrics are unknown to us but the market doesn't lie and it's likely that clinging to an already failed strategy might not be the best answer.

Perhaps the Sony CEO thinks his balls will fall off if he admits to being wrong?

Another

Mar 19, 2008
timmytom1 said:
Because you can get half decent PC`s (or maybe build one for cheaper(depends on how much your into that kind of thing),or buy a 360/wii(though not so much the wii)which have the same features,if not more (or at least improved,and why am i useing so many brackets??)
Completely true. I own a 360 myself (cause a desktop in my dorm would kill my desk space, which i need...comes with the major...), but I just helped my dad replace our old computer. Case, 500 GB SATA HD, 9400 Nvidia Graphics, 4 GB of ram, Quad Core prosseser and motherboard for about $350 from tiger direct. Yeah the Graphics aren't the highest but toss in another 100 and it can be a high end card, and still cheaper than a PS3.

I would like to own a PS3, but its too expensive. And I don't want a multimedia center and I cant name one person who has bought it for that purpose. If the thing was cheaper and just did games exclusively, I'd be fine with that.

For now i'm going to Play N Trade to browse the 15 dollar and less 360 games...budget gaming ftw?

Goldbling

Nov 21, 2008
TundraWolf said:
Goldbling said:
The PS3 is losing exclusives as well, like FF13 and MGS.
Fair enough. But can you list more than five XBox exclusives that are coming out in the near future? Because I can only give you a handful: Halo 3: ODST, Dead Rising 2 and Crackdown 2. Everything else that is making big waves these days are either PS3 exclusives, PC gaming products, or multi-platform releases. Yes, even stuff like Mass Effect is now expanding to the PS3. Meanwhile, I could probably list you double-digits worth of exciting exclusive titles for the PS3 that are going to be released in the near future.

So while I do see the point that the PS3 is losing exclusives, it still has a plethora of them left over to choose from. Far more than the XBox does, at any rate. Thus, I really don't think that that is going to be much of an issue. If exclusives are what sell consoles, then the next year is going to see a sudden increase in PS3 sales, if only because of the disparity between the total number of exclusives for each console.
Yes, could you name a few? I need to know... I'd hate to sell my PS3 when some good games might come out.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Goldbling said:
Yes, could you name a few? I need to know... I'd hate to sell my PS3 when some good games might come out.
Well, for ones that are out (and let me clarify, you asked), there's LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, InFamous, Killzone 2, Valkyria Chronicles, Metal Gear Solid 4, Warhawk, Resistance 1+2, and Ratchet and Clank Future. At least one or two of those must strike your fancy, eh?\
For future, possibly good, games we have God of War 3 (of course), Heavy Rain, Fat Princess (PSN), The Last Guardian, and others that escape me at the moment.

Again, I'm clarifying, you asked. I supplied.

Goldbling

Nov 21, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
3. I don't see any low quality. I enjoy my games on the Ps3. They work just fine. What, are you a graphics whore? Oh wait, yes you are.

4. For goodness sake, I don't see anything wrong with the PSN. It lags a bit, but I've seen far worse on other consoles.
3- He is talking about multi-platform games, and that's true, most multi-platform games look better on 360 because the 360 code is a lot easier to work with.

4- PSN sucks, to be frank, When it takes an hour to download an update for a game opposed to 10 seconds for my 360, Something is wrong.

Goldbling

Nov 21, 2008
Jumplion said:
Goldbling said:
Well, for ones that are out (and let me clarify, you asked), there's LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, InFamous, Killzone 2, Valkyria Chronicles, Metal Gear Solid 4, Warhawk, Resistance 1+2, and Ratchet and Clank Future. At least one or two of those must strike your fancy, eh?\
For future, possibly good, games we have God of War 3 (of course), Heavy Rain, Fat Princess (PSN), The Last Guardian, and others that escape me at the moment.

Again, I'm clarifying, you asked. I supplied.
Yea, but I thought there were more... I already own InFamous, Killzone 1 & 2, MGS4, LBP, and Resistance (1 & 2). None of the other ones look any good. Also I never buy multi-platforms for my PS3 because PSN sucks and the online lags... a lot and my friends all have 360's.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Goldbling said:
Yea, but I thought there were more... I already own InFamous, Killzone 1 & 2, MGS4, LBP, and Resistance (1 & 2). None of the other ones look any good. Also I never buy multi-platforms for my PS3 because PSN sucks and the online lags... a lot and my friends all have 360's.
Well, it seems to me you have plenty to work with, what exactly do you want? You seem to have a pretty good substantial amount of games, not including Multiplat. I say give some a try, rent or use Gamefly, I'm sure you'll be surprised. Have you tried buying any other games on PSN like the Last Guy or WipEoutHD? PSN for me is just fine, unless you have a really crappy internet connection, then it should be fine for you as well. Ironically it's LIVE that always lags and disconnects for me, at my friends house, it logs us out every 2 minutes.

Another

Mar 19, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
Ooh, a hundred bucks more. Get over it.
Ooh, three less exclusives. There are still a hundred or so games to choose from! So pick one.

I'm sickened. This is why I don't want a 360 or a Wii. Because of the horrible fanbases.
$100? Your assuming all gamers got the elite. I got an arcade then bought a 20GB HD from Malaysia for 25 bucks...

Im a poor college student working part time at a Safeway...T_T Is there no sympathy for a po' gamer.

On another note: Exclusives.

I honestly cannot name and exclusive that I would buy a console for..Not the Last Guardian, Not even if Persona 5 comes out...And that's my FAVORITE series.

Positions being reversed, if I did not have a 360 I wouldn't buy it for its exclusives either. (Personally I didn't like gears...I saw no reason that my friends were loving it...)

The only exclusive I want this year is Scribblenauts for the DS >_>

And who says that The Wii and 360 have a horrible fanbase? Yeah I hate alot of people on XBox live too. Wii can get annoying but its actually quite fun to play with friends. (Single Player sucks a lot tho). Sony, MS, and Nintendo all have there annoying people out there.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Can the mod's just make it a bannable offence to be a fanboy because there's been about one decent comment in this whole thread...?

Onmi said:
you know sometimes you guys act about as mature as /v/

Just saying.
...and that was it...

TundraWolf

Dec 6, 2008
Goldbling said:
TundraWolf said:
Goldbling said:
The PS3 is losing exclusives as well, like FF13 and MGS.
Fair enough. But can you list more than five XBox exclusives that are coming out in the near future? Because I can only give you a handful: Halo 3: ODST, Dead Rising 2 and Crackdown 2. Everything else that is making big waves these days are either PS3 exclusives, PC gaming products, or multi-platform releases. Yes, even stuff like Mass Effect is now expanding to the PS3. Meanwhile, I could probably list you double-digits worth of exciting exclusive titles for the PS3 that are going to be released in the near future.

So while I do see the point that the PS3 is losing exclusives, it still has a plethora of them left over to choose from. Far more than the XBox does, at any rate. Thus, I really don't think that that is going to be much of an issue. If exclusives are what sell consoles, then the next year is going to see a sudden increase in PS3 sales, if only because of the disparity between the total number of exclusives for each console.
Well, Jumplion already kind of beat me to the punch, but here's the ones that I can recall (and can see, using the PSN):

For ones that are out: inFamous, Resistance: Fall of Man and Resistance 2, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, LittleBigPlanet, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Metal Gear Online (if you want online multiplayer), Killzone 2, Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction and Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty, Valkyria Chronicles, Warhawk, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, MotorStorm and MotorStorm: Pacific Rift, Linger In Shadows (PSN), Flower (PSN), Siren: Blood Curse (PSN), Crash Commando (PSN), The Last Guy (PSN), Pain (PSN), and many other titles that aren't as well-known.

For upcoming titles: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Heavy Rain, God of War 3, The Last Guardian, White Knight Chronicles, Agent, MAG, L.A. Noire, Demon's Souls, Wardevil, Fat Princess (PSN), and the exclusive Joker content for Batman: Arkham Asylum. Those are the ones that I can recall, anyways, and more and more are announced every day.

So yeah. Hope that helps. You should definitely check out some of those titles if you haven't already: a lot of them are at least half-ways decent, if not amazing all by themselves.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Goldbling said:
Pendragon9 said:
3. I don't see any low quality. I enjoy my games on the Ps3. They work just fine. What, are you a graphics whore? Oh wait, yes you are.

4. For goodness sake, I don't see anything wrong with the PSN. It lags a bit, but I've seen far worse on other consoles.
3- He is talking about multi-platform games, and that's true, most multi-platform games look better on 360 because the 360 code is a lot easier to work with.

4- PSN sucks, to be frank, When it takes an hour to download an update for a game opposed to 10 seconds for my 360, Something is wrong.
Then your PS3 must have a problem. Mine is the best online I've ever played. Whenever I went to my friend's house to play on his 360, I almost fell asleep from all the waiting times and loading and all that crap.

And frankly, when it comes to multiplat games, I just cannot play them on the 360. I can't deal with the people spamming their mics and using cheap glitches in the game to get an advantage. I've just had a better experience with the PS3.

Even if I did pay 599 Us dollars for it (Ridge Racer, giant enemy crabs, weak spots, ancient japan, etc) I personally feel that I got my money's worth. Because I just found out my Ps2 is broken, so when I get the attachment to transfer mem card data, then you'll bet your ass I'm gonna get even more use out of it. You can't play Ps2 games on a 360 after all.

I guess you guys had bad experiences with your consoles. I didn't though. In fact, I've had nothing but good times with the PS3's online, so if you still don't see eye to eye with me, then that's just fine.

Neosage

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2008
Jumplion said:
Goldbling said:
Also I never buy multi-platforms for my PS3 because PSN sucks and the online lags... a lot and my friends all have 360's.
Ironically it's LIVE that always lags and disconnects for me, at my friends house, it logs us out every 2 minutes.
Pendragon9 said:
Then your PS3 must have a problem. Mine is the best online I've ever played. Whenever I went to my friend's house to play on his 360, I almost fell asleep from all the waiting times and loading and all that crap.
Sounds like you guys need to get broadband, from my experience both networks are fine, although LIVE is the superior. But you pay for it so, what do you expect?

Also Pendragon9, narcolepsy is a serious problem maybe you should get checked out?

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Pendragon9 said:
1. My Ps3 did better than my friend's 360 when it came to HD, even on my crappy low res TV. So you're wrong about that being pure fact.
Entirely subjective, not a trace of rigorous comparison and I was comparing PS3's Component output to Xbox 360's VGA output, which cost similar amounts to implement. Is that what YOU did?

2. They still have exclusives. You're just too arrogant to like them. "zomg! They lost Metal Gear." Not one 360 fan likes Metal Gear, so who cares? Though I do expect any XBOX 360 fan to rate MGS Rising higher than MGS4. It's almost guaranteed.
I kinda liked MGS4... but only a tad bit more than MGS2, which I consider the worst in the entire Metal Gear series. The Metal Gear Solid franchise is like the Star Trek film series, every second film is sub par. It seems every even numbered MGS game just screws up the formula, MGS1 and MGS3 were epic spectacular. MGS2 and 4 were ponderous, wandering and quite naff.

Oh, and surprise surprise. Look at the page for Ps3 exclusives and multiplat titles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS3_games#D

Yes, it's Wikipedia, I know. But look at all those titles, a fourth of them already out. If you're not content with all those games, then you don't deserve a console.

You are kidding yourself:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241
http://www.youtube.com/user/DigitalFoundry

So there. You're just trying to push your biased views on me. My PS3 obviously works differently than how you describe it.

So either you stop being so critical or I'll simply have to report you for trolling.

I despise fanboys who can't be happy with what they have.

And for the record, you still didn't give me a valid reason to hate the PS3. My online works fine, I'm glad with the games, and hell, I paid even more for it back then. So you younger kids are not allowed to complain.

You know what? Just sell your PS3 and stop complaining if it's so horrible. They practically go for 600-1000 dollars on Ebay, so you can have sex with the godly Xbox 360 and play a few games while you're at it. You say one or two games don't justify the purchase, so obviously you bought it for another reason. Yet you're not telling.

Yes, I know you're gonna call me immature for saying that, but after seeing half a forum full of posts like yours, I've lost my patience.

So next time if you want to respond to me, I want you to tell me why I should sell my Ps3. I love all the games, I hate paying for online, I love PSN, and I see almost no difference in quality between multiplat games. Only losers would strain so hard to find a difference.

So do go on and amuse me. And if you accuse me of being a Sony fanboy, then keep in mind that such a response is only for when you don't have any witty retorts.

Oh great. I have a headache. Remind me to teach you some more once I get some aspirin.
I have a few more issues with your post:

"Just sell your PS3... they go for 600-1000 dollars on Ebay, so you can have sex with the godly Xbox 360... Yes, I know you're gonna call me immature for saying that"

Yet you are insinuating that I am trolling:

"So either you stop being so critical or I'll simply have to report you for trolling"

This is the fundamental flaw in you logic... you ACTUALLY think criticism is the same as trolling!!!
Do you not realise you are basically encouraging self-censorship concerning the conduct of a multi-billion dollar corporation who expects to take hundreds if not thousands of dollars in revenue from each of us??? What makes these people deserve to be shielded from criticism? (no, I wont write a letter/email to Sony, might as well write a letter to Santa Clause)

"I want you to tell me why I should sell my Ps3"

Well to be honest, I recommend you should NOT sell. Why? Because I think it would be dishonest to sell it to anyone. Plus it was so expensive at launch and has depreciated so much... not freaking worth it. Plus one or two good games may come out by the end of this generation and my parents lack a decent upscaling DVD player for the kitchen TV so it has some use.

Plus I have made my points and you have disregarded them with the most spurious reasoning. I am not trying to convince YOU. This conversation is public, the conclusion will be made by whoever reads this considering each of our arguments. Not everything revolves around you and your opinions so don't set up the straw man argument that I can only be right if I can convince you to sell your PS3... that is ridiculous and the entire reason straw man arguments are so cheap.

First you said:
"I despise fanboys who can't be happy with what they have."

then you say:
"if you accuse me of being a Sony fanboy, then keep in mind that such a response is only for when you don't have any witty retorts"

Hypocrisy much?
Comments like these show how much your opinion is worth when you make subjective comparisons of of PS3 to consoles that you *claim* to have had access to.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Neosage said:
Jumplion said:
Ironically it's LIVE that always lags and disconnects for me, at my friends house, it logs us out every 2 minutes.
Sounds like you guys need to get broadband, from my experience both networks are fine, although LIVE is the superior. But you pay for it so, what do you expect?

Also Pendragon9, narcolepsy is a serious problem maybe you should get checked out?
I have high doubts that LIVE is really "superior" and I have even higher thoughts of that being just opinion. You may need to pay for it, but that does not mean it's "better" in any sense of the word. And please don't use the "you get what you pay for" because if you use that then you have automatically labeled the PS3 as the better system.

Back on LIVE however, I found the interface very confusing and annoying to navigate. While my friend and I play online (on his Xbox, just to clarify), it does start out smooth but then randomly disconnects. The only game we've had a smooth play is Halo 3, and that takes forever to find a match.

I don't think either PSN or LIVE is superior, but I generally favor PSN over LIVE for the fact that to me, personally, it's free, it's reliable, it does what it's supposed to, and it's generally lag free.

chronobreak

Sep 6, 2008
I don't understand why people can't complain about the price. If things are cheaper, usually more people will buy them, right? If you chopped 100 bucks off the PS3, I would buy one. It's not something I'm going to save up for, as I have other facets of my life to throw money at such as a mortgage, wife, and kids, but if you price it more towards an impulse buy more people would be takers. Yeah, I know Sony is losing money. That sucks, but it should also push them to create new ways of doing business or going about things. Put a price on PSN, it ain't gonna be free forever. Paid DLC that people want, I dunno, something. But it is ignorant to say that price doesn't matter, and it is equally ignorant to assume someones life position and where their money is going, and trying to tell them what to do.

CY_Definitive

May 5, 2009
When they say they want a "good year" in terms of sales, do they mean COMPARED to, I dunno, Industry-Miracle Wii, or like, compared to the 360?

If it's the latter, then yeah, they should probably not worry so much.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
What they don't want 250k PS3s sold within 1 month to happen twice? They want all to go at the same time?

Bit late now...

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
stream movies and tv shows online via ps3 ? hey i thought that hulu blocked ps3 , but there is one big problem with streaming online ... if ya live in canada you can't stream movies and tv shows online here , even on xbox 360 ,we are getting ripped off and that is fucking bullshit so sony's got nothing to brag about and also what about the slow or lack of dlc for games on the ps3 ? fix that sony and ya might do even better than expected

y8c616

May 14, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:
I'm pretty sure the PS3 is headed in the right direction; this year's E3 announced some games that people simply won't be able to keep away from. I'm really tempted to go out and buy the console. There's only one problem; IT'S STILL TOO EXPENSIVE.

Sure, the Sony dropped it's prices before, but I still have the words "...FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE US DOLLARS..." ringing in my head. Make it affordable Sony; please.
I agree with this, pretty much. As much as i love my ps3, and as much as its technically the best of the current gen, and has the best exclusives (this year at least) Sony isn't going to convince the (increasingly cash-strapped) mass market.
Sony needs to a)drop the price, b) come up with ps2 emulation software, and c) make Home work properly (but mostly a) :p)

letsnoobtehpwns

Dec 28, 2008
I would have to say that 2007 was the shit year for the PS3. Well, that's all over and the PS3 is finally getting some great games.