PlayStation Now is Coming to PC

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
PlayStation Now is Coming to PC

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1344/1344994.jpg
PC gamers will finally be able to play Sony exclusives likes Uncharted and The Last of Us.

PlayStation Now, Sony's streaming service that allows PS4 gamers to play old PS3 titles, is making it's way to PC alongside a special DualShock 4 wireless dongle. That means that PS3 titles that were previously exclusive to Sony gamers like The Last of Us and Journey can now be enjoyed by PC gamers. Rejoice!

Current PlayStation Now subscribers will be able to play the entire library on either their PS4 or PC, while new PC subscribers will instantly get access to the full 400 game catalog currently available. Sony didn't give us an exact time frame but did say that the service would launch "in parts of Europe soon and will come to North America shortly thereafter."

Additionally, the DualShock 4 USB Wireless Adapter launches in early September for $24.99. Anyone who has ever tried to connect a PS3 or PS4 controller to their PC will know that unlike the various Xbox controllers, it's a bit of a hassle. The adapter solves these hassles by letting you connect a DualShock 4 to PC and Mac wirelessly, and will enable every feature of the controller including vibration and motion sensors.

Here are the recommended specs for running PS Now on your PC:
Windows 7 (SP1), 8.1 or 10
3.5 GHz Intel Core i3 or 3.8 GHz AMD A10 or faster
300 MB or more hard disk space; 2 GB or more of RAM
Sound card; USB port

Source: Sony [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/08/23/playstation-now-coming-to-pc-dualshock-4-usb-wireless-adaptor-unveiled/]

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
This is the reason behind the PS Plus price hike.

On another note, fuck that. I need to install the game, not stream it. My internet still sucks.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
...What?

No...no...cynicism, save me...

Is this something...really good and awesome?...

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
So you can't just buy the game and own it you have to pay a subscription, reason i don't own current consoles is because i don't want to have to pay a subscription to play my games.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Yeah, streaming... no. Maybe if I had decent Internet, and a terabyte data plan, yeah I could see it being a good thing.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
So, I get to pay a subscription to play old games with horrid input lag and dubious image quality? Oh, be still my heart! Isn't this what we've always wanted?

Sarcasm aside, I don't care. It's not a service I'm interested in and see no reason to partake in it. And that's as a person who never owned a PS3...

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
This news is far more exciting for the small mention of the wireless controller dongle than it is for the PSNow service. I'll take twenty dongles and zero PSNow subscriptions.

Devieus

Jul 30, 2014
Saelune said:
...What?

Depends, this seems like a niche thing for people who are both PS3+4 and PC gamers; PS fans don't give a toss and PC fans would rather they release the game on Steam already.

Plus, the DS3 had analog buttons, DS4 does not.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Devieus said:
Saelune said:
...What?

Depends, this seems like a niche thing for people who are both PS3+4 and PC gamers; PS fans don't give a toss and PC fans would rather they release the game on Steam already.

So...me?

Also analog buttons?

Geisterkarle

Dec 27, 2010
Sooo... ignoring the PS Now news, their "solution" for their terrible controller support connected to a PC is... an USB-dongle! Couldn't we just get good controllers or drivers?

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
PlayStation Now, Sony's streaming service that allows PS4 gamers to play old PS3 titles
No.

Playstation Now is a game streaming service that allows people that have a Playstation Network account to rent PS3 games.

Devices that are capable of running the Playstation Now client are:
Playstation 4;
Playstation 3;
Playstation Vita;
Playstation Tv;
4 series 2015 Sony brand Blu-ray players;
8 series 2015 Sony brand Tv models;
9 series 2014 Sony brand Tv models;
16 2015 Samsung brand Smart Tvs;
12 2014 Samsung brand Smart Tv's;
And in the near future Windows 7, 8 or 10 machines.

You wouldn't refer to Netflix as "Netflix's streaming service that allows Roku owners to stream movies", now would you?

Geisterkarle said:
Sooo... ignoring the PS Now news, their "solution" for their terrible controller support connected to a PC is... an USB-dongle! Couldn't we just get good controllers or drivers?
Well, the Dualshock 4 is natively recognised by Windows 10 as a Wireless Controller over USB, don't really know about Bluetooth though as I don't have a dongle in my computer.
And for older versions I would recommend http://inputmapper.com/, aside from making your controller work it also allows you to set up macros and map buttons to whatever you want, a nifty piece of software.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....Yeah fuck you sony...why can't you just give us a proper release so that we don't have to pay monthly fees and jump through whatever BS you come up with just to have the "privilege" of streaming the game...SPOILER ALERT Internet isn't exactly something most people would call reliable enough to "stream" games

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
ok, now this all sounds nice since i have always wanted to play journey and the last of us and even the uncharted series, but im really lost here.
does it mean i can buy ps4 games (disc version) and install them?
can i play them with M&K?
when will it be available for australia?
does it mean i have to pay subscriptions?

if someone can clarify that for me, that would be helpful.

MatthewTheDark

The Meme Machine
Jun 13, 2014
So, I looked at PS Now's library of games and while it seems to be quite filled with recognizable games, I'm curious as to why they put stuff like Wheel of Fortune on there, but not Okami HD.

syl3r

Oct 21, 2014
great news! im a pc gamer myself, dont own a ps3/4 but there are some games id like to play but not enough to pay for the whole console. so this is perfect for me.

Nov 28, 2007
Metalrocks said:
ok, now this all sounds nice since i have always wanted to play journey and the last of us and even the uncharted series, but im really lost here.
does it mean i can buy ps4 games (disc version) and install them?
can i play them with M&K?
when will it be available for australia?
does it mean i have to pay subscriptions?

if someone can clarify that for me, that would be helpful.
Can't answer the second and third questions. As for the others, assuming that it works like the PS4 version of Playstation Now, it's only PS3 games being streamed, so no PS4 games stuff, and there is a subscription for either $20 a month, or $45 for 3 months.

While that sounds like a lot of money, keep in mind that the Playstation Now currently has hundreds of games available to stream, and more are added each month. If you have an Internet connection that can support streaming, I'd say it's worth it.

Devieus

Jul 30, 2014
Saelune said:
Devieus said:
Saelune said:
...What?

So...me?

Also analog buttons?
Maybe, I don't know you that well, buy me a drink and I might tell you.

And yes, analog buttons. In racing games, some people push harder on the go button because they think it makes them go faster, Sony cashed in on that by making that actually true. It's also used in MGS games by putting aim and fire on the same button.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Well I wouldn't say getting a PS3 controller to work with a PC now is as much of a hassle as it was 4-5 years ago and unless the Adapter comes with a PS4 Controller packaged along with it, I'd say it's cheaper to just buy a Bluetooth dongle if you already have a PS3 or PS4 controller lying around and check out the instructions for getting the drivers to work (In other words look up ScpToolkit). As for PS Now, it still sounds like it's going to be as bad as it is on the PS4. You'll still need an amazing internet service for it to work properly and it's still limited to select countries much to my chagrin when I found out they won't tell you there aren't any servers for it anywhere near you until you buy/try it out but will continue to advertise it for sale in your part of the world. -_-

MatthewTheDark

The Meme Machine
Jun 13, 2014
Chareater said:
Does this mean I can finally play MGS4? YES!!!
I wouldn't get my hopes up. Doesn't look like ANY Metal Gear games are up on PS Now sadly. Not even HD Collection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Now_games