PlayStation Now May Exclude PS1/PS2 Games, PS4 To Get Emulators

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
PlayStation Now May Exclude PS1/PS2 Games, PS4 To Get Emulators

Sources inside Sony say that PS1 and PS2 emulators are heading to the PS4 and will be equipped with native HD upscaling.

Arguably one of the most exciting recent PlayStation announcements was the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131089-PlayStation-Now-Streaming-Service-Unveiled-at-CES-2014>CES reveal of PlayStation Now, a planned streaming service that will make older PlayStation games accessible to platforms including PlayStation consoles, tablets, smartphones and TVs. At its initial announcement, many assumed that PlayStation games from across numerous generations would be included in the service. According to apparent sources inside Sony however, Now will only include more recent PS3 games.

The emergent question, of course, is what the company plans to do with its extensive library of PS1 and PS2 titles going forward. Those same sources, in turn, suggest that Sony is planning to update the PS4 with new emulators that would allow for PS1 and PS2 titles, disc-based and digital, to be played on the console. The emulators in question will apparently also include enhanced visuals that would provide native HD resolution similar to those found in PS3 HD collections. This would be a significant upgrade over the upscaling on the PS3 which was, at times, less than perfect.

While this move could upset PlayStation fans looking forward to a Now library including more than just PS3 games, it would arguably make sense for the company in some ways. For instance, PS4 emulator options would make it possible for Sony to keep selling its older titles as individual downloads, which we can only imagine is lucrative. All of that said, it's important to remember that none of this has been confirmed by Sony itself and that it could all turn out to be hogwash. Even so, we have to say that we can think of far worse things than having an emulator-equipped PS4, even if it does mean a lesser PlayStation Now.

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-ps1-ps2-games-heading-to-ps4>Eurogamer

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I would be so freaking hyped for this if they worked with discs too. It might actually make me buy a PS4 earlier instead of after year or so.

There are just still so many good PS2 games, and I already own a lot of them but my PS2 is basically broken. It would be worth getting a PS4 just for access to some of those titles

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
TitusGroan said:
What about if you still own disc copies of the games? If its an emulator, it should be able to read discs just fine, after all.
Disc-based software too, to my understanding. Sorry if that was unclear.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well, if that actually happened with physical disc support then i would be head over heels for a PS4.

Even though id probably only use it to play Okami. Again.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Sounds good, but at the same time it makes me wonder if this means all that money dished out for a PS-4 is wasted, because I'm going to want to ditch the new console I just obtained for one with an included emulator... or if the emulator is going to be some kind of attachment that can be added to an existing PS-4 system.

Needless to say I'm going to be rather upset if I bought a PS-4 believing the announcement that it was not going to be backwards compatible, only to get some Sony trollface as they change their mind and roll out a new one that does what the one I just bought arguably should have to begin with.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
IF it's for disc based, my collection of 500 or so PS2 games would be very happy.

IF it's not, meh.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Therumancer said:
Sounds good, but at the same time it makes me wonder if this means all that money dished out for a PS-4 is wasted, because I'm going to want to ditch the new console I just obtained for one with an included emulator... or if the emulator is going to be some kind of attachment that can be added to an existing PS-4 system.

Needless to say I'm going to be rather upset if I bought a PS-4 believing the announcement that it was not going to be backwards compatible, only to get some Sony trollface as they change their mind and roll out a new one that does what the one I just bought arguably should have to begin with.
Emulators are software, so they should be able to add it via update. Whether you'd have to pay for it or not, though...

I'm surprised a PS1 emulator wasn't already included, honestly. This means that the PS4 is currently the only Playstation that can't play PS1 games.

Still, if this is true and it includes discs, then that means that the PS4 is gonna be compatible with the whole PS2 library; that's a hell of an advantage. I'm still discovering brilliant games for that system to this day.

Tastum

Jun 1, 2011
I don't own any of this gen of consoles, and I didn't own any of the last gen either. But I know I've missed out on the greatness of the PS2 and miss a lot of games I played back on the PS1. If this happens I will actually buy a PS4. I had no plans to do so up until now..

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Sold! I still own my favorite PS1 and PS2 games, most on disc. Native HD upscaling is awesome as well. I really loved FF12, but since my PS2 broke, I have been stuck relying on a PC emulator which upscales it beautifully. Awesome. I'll keep an eye on this.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
Well, if this is true than Yahtzee's "But it doesn't justify buying a next generation console without backwards compatibility" (or whatever it was) is mute for PS4 at least. Good for Sony.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Oh, well look who comes to their senses at last. Lemme tell ya, Sony, just because I like you doesn't mean I like everything you do. NOT having backwards compatibility was a bad move. So glad to hear you're 180-ing on the matter.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Woo! I gave my aging PS2 to my little sister a long time ago, but I still kept my favorite PS1/PS2 games. I already purchased a PS4 so this is just gravy if it ends up being true.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Software emulators, or a more expensive model of the PS4 to be released at a later date?

If it's software, excuse me while I spend this generation lovingly caressing my PlayStation 4.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Therumancer said:

Emulators are software, so they should be able to add it via update. Whether you'd have to pay for it or not, though...

I'm surprised a PS1 emulator wasn't already included, honestly. This means that the PS4 is currently the only Playstation that can't play PS1 games.

Still, if this is true and it includes discs, then that means that the PS4 is gonna be compatible with the whole PS2 library; that's a hell of an advantage. I'm still discovering brilliant games for that system to this day.
Well, the thing is that Sony already claimed that the problems are hardware related as opposed to software related and that they would allegedly have to include the hardware from all their other machines within the new system in order to make this work. Many defenses of the lack of backwards compatibility have invoked this alleged "fact".

I also look back at things like the dear, departed "Bleem" where they made adaptors that could allow you to play games from one company on a system owned by another (and got slammed hard for it back in the day). Something that also makes me think that this is probably going to be hardware related, either requiring a new system, or purchasing an adaptor to plug into your existing system.

Time will tell of course, it just seems like odd news given everything else that was said on the subject.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Wow would buy the PS4 just for that. There are so many playstation titles from the last 2 generations that I have been interested in.

Please make it happen

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Therumancer said:
Well, the thing is that Sony already claimed that the problems are hardware related as opposed to software related and that they would allegedly have to include the hardware from all their other machines within the new system in order to make this work. Many defenses of the lack of backwards compatibility have invoked this alleged "fact".

I also look back at things like the dear, departed "Bleem" where they made adaptors that could allow you to play games from one company on a system owned by another (and got slammed hard for it back in the day). Something that also makes me think that this is probably going to be hardware related, either requiring a new system, or purchasing an adaptor to plug into your existing system.

Time will tell of course, it just seems like odd news given everything else that was said on the subject.
That's only for the PS3, which is stupidly difficult to emulate and would require an incredibly powerful machine both due to its weird architecture and higher CPU clock speed relative to the PS4. Plus PS1 compatibility on the PS3 was already the work of an emulator.

IIRC, Bleem also worked by loading custom software. Pre-Xbox consoles had virtually no internal storage, so you couldn't have a downloadable emulator on them, really. Besides, getting unlicensed third party software onto consoles is hard, even now, so I imagine that's the main reason Bleem was hardware.

PS1 and 2 x86 software emulators are already available and work on hardware that is less powerful than the PS4, so we know that it's possible. Given that Sony should know its own consoles better than bedroom coders do, we can safely assume that the emulation will be even more efficient.

Mar 26, 2008
As much as I think this is a great idea, I must admit I hardly play anything older than the last generation and when I do I usually lose interest as the games tend to not hold up as well as I remembered. On the plus side it would give me a chance to play games I've missed out on in previous gens. I still own a PS1 and PS2, but getting the discs these days is like treasure hunting.

Anyhow, colour me impressed.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Therumancer said:

Backwards compatibility is a pretty vague thing to talk about though without specifics, especially coming from Sony. If they were talking about backwards compatibility for PS3 games, they're still correct and probably will be forever. That console will be nigh impossible to emulate. But most of us already knew that great PS1 emulators are around and good PS2 emulators are available. Sony taking emulators that already exist and perfecting it before putting it in the PS4 isn't out of the question.

Something else to remember. People have seen the PS4 hardware from all angles, and on the motherboard there's a chip/processor that to this day no one really know what it does. Whatever that mystery chip is on the PS4 board, it could be linked to this as well, but everything is just speculation right now.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
I will be very happy if the PS4 gets emulation for PS1 and 2 titles, especially if discs work as well. Come on, Sony, don't shoot this rumor down.