PlayStation Now Subscription Service Starts January 13

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
PlayStation Now Subscription Service Starts January 13

PS4 owners who never got to play PS3 games can buy a subscription plan from Sony to stream past games.

Sony will launch its subscription service PlayStation Now [http://escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/playstation%20now] for streaming PS3 games on January 13 in the United States and Canada. Sony offers two subscription plans for a month plan and a three-month plan.

The one-month subscription is available for $19.99, and the three-month subscription costs $44.99, which would be roughly $15 a month. Select games have been available through the service already, pricing game rentals for a few hours to 90 days. The prices are different from game to game.

The new subscription service gives PS4 users access to over 100 PS3 games, such as The Last of Us, Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus, Spelunky, and Bioshock Infinite, and more. Additional games will arrive through the service.

"Users have been able to rent games through PlayStation Now for several months, and one of the top requests we get is for an overall subscription to the service," Phil Rosenberg, Sony Computer Entertainment America's senior vice president, business development, and publisher relations, said. "We're excited to formally announce it today, as the PlayStation Now subscription service will deliver a ton of value by providing instant access to a large and diverse catalogue of games for one low price. We know there are lots of PS4 owners that never owned a PS3, and this is a great way to catch up on games they may have missed."

A seven-day trial will be available when the service launches; if you're worried about how your internet connection will perform, this will be a free method to determine whether the service is worth it for you. PS4 users can download a free PlayStation Now theme soon; doing so will count as an entry for a chance to win a one-year PlayStation Now subscription.

Sony stated PlayStation Now will come to other devices in the future.

Source: PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/01/05/playstation-now-subscription-program-all-the-details/]

songnar

Modulator
Oct 26, 2008
Nope. Still not willing to rent a game from the PSN that I already bought on the PSN. Not going to do it.

Robbo

Beer <3
Nov 9, 2009
songnar said:
Nope. Still not willing to rent a game from the PSN that I already bought on the PSN. Not going to do it.
It isn't for people who already have the game... No one expects people to rent a game they already own, why do you think it is for that?

If Aussie internet ever catches up to the rest of the world I'll be all over this deal, it's great for old games I missed out on last generation.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Can some clarify for me. Is the rentals on top of the subscription or does having a subscription mean you don't have to pay for each rental?

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
If it's comes to the UK then my curiosity will be piqued, I never had a PS3. While a full-size image (link [https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8636/16015562780_92e3c25bf4_o.jpg]) reveals a fair few mediocre or forgettable games, there's enough there I'd consider checking out at-least for a couple of months.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Wasn't that barely playable due to lag even if your internet is great anyway?

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
CrazyBlaze said:
Can some clarify for me. Is the rentals on top of the subscription or does having a subscription mean you don't have to pay for each rental?
The subscription means you don't need to pay for individual games. Pick any game that looks interesting from the list and start. If you don't like it, try something else.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
Can't wait to see for myself if PS Now is as painfully retarded as JonTron claimed it to be.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
JoJo said:
While a full-size image (link [https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8636/16015562780_92e3c25bf4_o.jpg]) reveals a fair few mediocre or forgettable games, there's enough there I'd consider checking out at-least for a couple of months.
It's not a "few", and not all of them are "mediocre or forgettable." Saints Row the Third, Ico, and Sonic Generations are in there, including some games that are less than 2 years old.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
All I see this being worth is to do a 1 month subscription and marathon through all the ones that look interesting to never pay for it again.

I would like to try out some PS3 games like MGS4, Uncharterd, InFamous, etc... but I wouldnt mind just playing them once for the story.

Burchy22

Oct 1, 2012
Is that the list...? I'm not impressed, out of 100 games I count 6 I'd want to play, 4 of which I've already played, though two of which I never finished. Guess this is only something worth checking out about a year from now.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Do it the way Steam does: Buy once (license), play forever on your account.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Xman490 said:
It's not a "few", and not all of them are "mediocre or forgettable." Saints Row the Third, Ico, and Sonic Generations are in there, including some games that are less than 2 years old.
Did you just suggest that Sonic Generations isn't mediocre or forgettable?

All this does is remind me how much I hate that I can't pack my ps3 away if I want to play my PSN games.

The ps4 is worthless.

JoJo

Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Xman490 said:
JoJo said:
While a full-size image (link [https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8636/16015562780_92e3c25bf4_o.jpg]) reveals a fair few mediocre or forgettable games, there's enough there I'd consider checking out at-least for a couple of months.
Is English not your first language out of interest? "A fair few" is a term that means "many" and implicitly that doesn't include all of the games on offer. In simple terms I'm saying most of the games shown look uninteresting to me but there's a few like the ones you listed that might be worth a month of subscription. Make sense?

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
JoJo said:
Is English not your first language out of interest? "A fair few" is a term that means "many" and implicitly that doesn't include all of the games on offer. In simple terms I'm saying most of the games shown look uninteresting to me but there's a few like the ones you listed that might be worth a month of subscription. Make sense?
Alright. I get it. Pardon my interpretation and lack of knowledge of a term I've hardly ever heard, "fair few".

JoJo

Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Xman490 said:
JoJo said:
Alright. I get it. Pardon my interpretation and lack of knowledge of a term I've hardly ever heard, "fair few".
No worries, thinking about it now, the phrase might well be a local idiom.

Banjo-Kazooie Blue

Sep 24, 2014
This is B.S. If you Nintendo has the ability to SELL you a game on eShop there is no reason whatsoever you should have to stream a PS3 game to your PS4. Do they really expect us to be happy they get to charge us every month for something we should only have to pay for once.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Banjo-Kazooie Blue said:
This is B.S. If you Nintendo has the ability to SELL you a game on eShop there is no reason whatsoever you should have to stream a PS3 game to your PS4. Do they really expect us to be happy they get to charge us every month for something we should only have to pay for once.
They would have to port the games over to the PS4's architecture or write up some emulation software to cover every game, but that could be buggy and a hassle. It's their way to make money off of peeps that either don't have a PS3, don't want to pay full price on a game they won't replay, or can't find those discs second hand. It's benefits some and others should stay far away from it. Although, I don't really like the pricing, either.

OT: Now are they gonna put some PS1/PS2 title on the PSN for PS4 owners, or are they going to squeeze more money out out them that way?

Also, I'm curious how they made the servers to run these games? Does Sony have a server farm full of PS3 with streaming capabilities, or did they design some custom servers will cell architecture to do this? (Please, don't tell me they did go with emulation. That would suck for those that want to buy the games for PS4, even if the hardware couldn't run then at 30fps.)

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
JoJo said:
If it's comes to the UK then my curiosity will be piqued, I never had a PS3. While a full-size image (link [https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8636/16015562780_92e3c25bf4_o.jpg]) reveals a fair few mediocre or forgettable games, there's enough there I'd consider checking out at-least for a couple of months.
This is pretty much my perspective as well. I have a PS4 but don't have a PS3 though I have recently considered getting one just to play some of last generations noteworthy JRPGs (and they wouldn't really be impacted by streaming lag anyways). If Sony can show me a list of stuff I'm interested in playing, $20 a month sounds more than acceptable.