PlayStation Owners Can Access Their Digital Games on Any PS4

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
StewShearer said:
After all, if access to your entire digital library is just a log-in screen away, what's to stop you from just handing a buddy your user name and password and letting them go to town on your games free of charge?
Is that really any different than current setups, though? On the surface, it isn't. Maybe they're changing things up, but there aren't enough details to assume otherwise.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
Jandau said:
StewShearer said:
After all, if access to your entire digital library is just a log-in screen away, what's to stop you from just handing a buddy your user name and password and letting them go to town on your games free of charge?
Probably not being able to have the same account simultaneously log in on two different machines, so unless you and your friend perfectly coordinate your gaming time, you won't be able to both play at the same time.
Unless of course it works like the ps3 where you just need their account on your system but you dont actually have to be logged in. They can even play it while logged into their own account and get the trophies for themselves they just have to start the download on the account of whoever bought it.

bandit0802

Dec 24, 2008
I'm pretty sure Sony has thought of the whole "sharing username and password" thing, and this leads me to believe that they don't care.

Speaking for myself, I'm not sure I'd WANT to give that information to my friends. Not because I don't trust them with my credit card, but because they'd basically be representing me whenever they play. And I wouldn't feel comfortable doing the same with their account. It's like handing someone your Facebook log-in info.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Too bad 200kb/sec still isn't fast enough to even load the basic game engine on the first day. Kudos to them though for letting people with decent connections not have to wait forever!

Greyhamster

Nov 26, 2010
So... It's still exactly like the ps3? (except for the play as you download thing) Or am I missing something?

Or did they remove the ability to buy/download games on one account and play on another? I hope not, I kinda like spending only 25 euros on plus each year...

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
SkarKrow said:
It's the best PS1 I've ever owned. I really enjoyed Uncharted and Unit 13 is decent if flawed and basic. I really hope Sony pulls it's shit together and supports it well in the coming generation with cross-buy and remote play.

I'm working my way through a few choice PS1 games at the moment and about the start Gravity Rush. I can't wait for Killzone: Mercenary as I'm a big fan of the franchise and it looks great.

Wish more stuff would come EU side! Muramasa and Dragons Crown in particular ): I don't wanna have to import.

It does need a price cut on storage cards though.
Indeed, although, I bought the 32gb mem very early on, and on the whole run it's a damn good investment. Once you have the 32gb, a decent case, then the vita is just awesome.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Terramax said:
Isn't it possible that you could give your friend your online account details, and they could basically play your games at their house, whenever you're not playing it?
Sure, it's possible, but I don't think it's a real threat to game sales in the least. How many people have more than maybe one friend that they'd trust with their account details? And how many of them would go to the trouble?

vipLink

May 28, 2011
CrossLOPER said:
I am having difficulty understanding a situation where I would find myself compelled to go to someone's house and play THEIR console.
I have on my PSN account both Scott Pilgrim the Game and Super Sonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars. Both games are great to play with a group of friends. But being limited to my Console (plus 2 extra Downloads) has kept us from playing on some occasions.
Sure it's not something I need to have, but heck it's kinda nice.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
You see this, Microsoft? It's possible to do this without crazy DRM.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
Of course you can do that. Why the fuck is this news? Imagine if your PS4 died and you had to buy a new one. How else would you access your digital games if this option didn't exist? Jeez.
Well they could have gone the Nintendo route and just had you be SoL if your console dies.

OT: Sony is just on a roll with the good PR aren't they? Now lets see how impressive the PS4's library ends up.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Vivi22 said:
Terramax said:
Isn't it possible that you could give your friend your online account details, and they could basically play your games at their house, whenever you're not playing it?
Sure, it's possible, but I don't think it's a real threat to game sales in the least. How many people have more than maybe one friend that they'd trust with their account details? And how many of them would go to the trouble?
You're the second person to write this.

Am I the only one who has friends that I WOULD trust with my account? Sure, people can't have many good friends, if they couldn't truth them not to fuck up their game account?

Adam Jensen said:
Of course you can do that. Why the fuck is this news? Imagine if your PS4 died and you had to buy a new one. How else would you access your digital games if this option didn't exist? Jeez.
The same was as some PC accounts work - but figuring out where your internet collection came from.

If you try to play certain PC games, online, from other locations, you're blocked from playing, until you can prove you are, in fact the owner. Even if it's being played on the same laptop.

The main interest here is that Sony will allow anyone to play your game, no matter where from, or what console, without being any kind of awkward about it.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
SkarKrow said:
Terramax said:

I guess this isn't too different from lending games to people, but I suspect there is the possibility of abuse. That being said, I'm sure Sony have acknowledged this, but put the consumer in favour, rather than restrain them; something which I find rather admirable.

Captcha: Less is more.

Tell that to Wii U owners.....
Bougth a Vita 2 weeks ago, have more games on it than my Wii U in 6 months.

:D

Probably played it more too between Uncharted, Unit 13 and Castlevania: SotN
I don't even own a Vita and own more games that I want on it than I would want to own on a Wii U. PS+ is awesome.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
What? An online service akin to Steam as an option? What's with Sony using common sense this generation?

I honestly don't think it will be abused much. I think it'll actually help them sell more games. It's almost as if trusting your costumers is good business.

Apr 28, 2008
Terramax said:

I guess this isn't too different from lending games to people, but I suspect there is the possibility of abuse. That being said, I'm sure Sony have acknowledged this, but put the consumer in favour, rather than restrain them; something which I find rather admirable.
Considering it's not a problem with Steam, GoG, or even current console profiles where you could do this exact thing, I doubt it will be much of an issue with the PS4.

Alek The Great

May 24, 2011
cnaltman62 said:
You see this, Microsoft? It's possible to do this without crazy DRM.
The 360 already has this feature (aside from the play as you download). I can play my entire digital library on any 360 I want. (I thought it was the same for the PS3 so that's why I was a bit confused as to why this is news...) So the sad part is that Microsoft already did manage to pull this off a generation before the Xbox One without the need for crazy DRM.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Terramax said:
SkarKrow said:
It's the best PS1 I've ever owned. I really enjoyed Uncharted and Unit 13 is decent if flawed and basic. I really hope Sony pulls it's shit together and supports it well in the coming generation with cross-buy and remote play.

I'm working my way through a few choice PS1 games at the moment and about the start Gravity Rush. I can't wait for Killzone: Mercenary as I'm a big fan of the franchise and it looks great.

Wish more stuff would come EU side! Muramasa and Dragons Crown in particular ): I don't wanna have to import.

It does need a price cut on storage cards though.
Indeed, although, I bought the 32gb mem very early on, and on the whole run it's a damn good investment. Once you have the 32gb, a decent case, then the vita is just awesome.
I got one for £54.99 which is a rip off still but much better than the £80 price they ask as an RRP. If you have PS+ it basically pays for itself though.

I need to get a decent case, maybe something soft and padded rather than a hard shell though.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
nathan-dts said:
SkarKrow said:
Terramax said:

Captcha: Less is more.

Tell that to Wii U owners.....
Bougth a Vita 2 weeks ago, have more games on it than my Wii U in 6 months.

:D

Probably played it more too between Uncharted, Unit 13 and Castlevania: SotN
I don't even own a Vita and own more games that I want on it than I would want to own on a Wii U. PS+ is awesome.
I downloaded anything on PS+ on the off chance I got a Vita, so day one once I bought the Vita a week or two ago I had like 5 great games and all my PS1 stuff. The vita is an underated machine, particularly with the wealth of indie content available.