PlayStation Owners Can Access Their Digital Games on Any PS4

Alek The Great

May 24, 2011
Terramax said:
Isn't it possible that you could give your friend your online account details, and they could basically play your games at their house, whenever you're not playing it?

I guess this isn't too different from lending games to people, but I suspect there is the possibility of abuse. That being said, I'm sure Sony have acknowledged this, but put the consumer in favour, rather than restrain them; something which I find rather admirable.

Captcha: Less is more.

Tell that to Wii U owners.....
I assume this feature is going to be exactly the same as the 360 accounts are now (don't really know how the PS3 digital system works so I can't say but I imagine it's the same).

First, the digital library works in the following manner: Each game you buy digitally gets tied to your home console. This means that the license to play that game is tied to the console itself. Thus, anyone who logs in to your console can now access that game without a problem. Now, if you want to play the game at a friend's house, you can do one of two things: bring your hard drive (or other memory device with the game) or download it at your friend's place. The only other thing you now need to do is access the license to that game (remember it's been tied to your other console) and the way you do this is by logging in at the friend's house. The license is held by your account and console and by logging in with your account you've proved that you own it.

Now, you might not want to have to log in at your friend's house anymore and you've decided you're not going to be playing that game on your original console anytime now. What you can do then is TRANSFER the license to your friend's console. This means that now that game is accessible offline on your friend's console but not on your home console. From what I understand, you can do this license transfer indefinitely, but only once per month. I've done this a few times and the once a month limit is reasonable as most wouldn't be expected to change their home console more than once a month.

Keep in mind that this is the 360 system; I have no clue what the PS4 system will be like. Then again, the current system is the most sensible one I could think of where people can't abuse the feature and yet it's still quite easy to use.

zalithar

Apr 22, 2013
Alek The Great said:
If your limited to two-ish (not sure what the actual limit is, I never had to hit it) systems able to play it at once, then it's pretty much identical. On the Xbox version are you allowed to access that downloaded file from any profile on the second system? cause if so, then yeah, identical.

neppakyo

Apr 3, 2011
spartandude said:
Sony you can stop now, xbox one has taken enough punishment from you
They haven't taken enough punishment. The extreme xbox bros fanbois need to suffer too. They need to suffer horribly.

captcha: tall building. *pushes xboners off of one*

Alek The Great

May 24, 2011
zalithar said:
Alek The Great said:
If your limited to two-ish (not sure what the actual limit is, I never had to hit it) systems able to play it at once, then it's pretty much identical. On the Xbox version are you allowed to access that downloaded file from any profile on the second system? cause if so, then yeah, identical.
I'm not sure I understood you correctly.

If a game's license resides on a console then anyone logged in on that system can use it. If it doesn't, then the content owner can transfer their license to that console and then anyone could use it on that console.

I just realized that this system is still possible to exploit and you could possibly give that game to a new person each month while all the previous people that had the license on their machine could keep that license as long as they stay offline.

I now realize that it seems they were trying to eliminate this loophole on the Xbox One with the 24 hour check-in, but there's a decidedly better solution in my opinion and that is a system similar to Steam's offline mode. For example, if you choose to game offline without the check-in, then you also can't do license transfers. It would be a simple switch and all the system would have to check before confirming you can do a license transfer is whether the console the game is tied to is set to online or offline mode. The only issue I can think of with this is if you set your console that has the license to offline mode and then it dies and you have to get a new one, you wouldn't be able to transfer your licenses...

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
SkarKrow said:
Indeed, although, I bought the 32gb mem very early on, and on the whole run it's a damn good investment. Once you have the 32gb, a decent case, then the vita is just awesome.
I got one for £54.99 which is a rip off still but much better than the £80 price they ask as an RRP. If you have PS+ it basically pays for itself though.

I need to get a decent case, maybe something soft and padded rather than a hard shell though.[/quote]

I own both a hard shell one and a padded soft one. I use the padded one all the time. It was actually a £9.99 one from Gamestation, and I'm really surprised at its quality.

Also, if you haven't already, I HIGHLY recommend screen protectors. You can buy a pack of 3 for about £4.00 on Amazon. I'm still using the 1st one in the pack after over a year! Excellent value.

I'll admit that, whilst I like the size of the Vita, it feels much better playing games with one of these--

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hori-Officially-Licensed-Attachment-PlayStation/dp/B0084SQEO6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373603836&sr=8-1&keywords=ps+vita+grip

There are a few kinds of grips for the Vita, but ever since I've owned this one, I rarely play the console without it. It feels pretty much perfect with it.

Finally, if you go traveling, you should think of buying the battery pack. I did a review for it on Amazon here--

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SONY-COMPUTER-Portable-Charger-PlayStation/dp/B006H3PTS2/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1373603895&sr=1-1&keywords=ps+vita+battery

Well, that's about it really. I know buying all this stuff, + the card, makes the vita a very expensive investment. HOWEVER, as I stated in my review of the charger, the Vita is a long term investment. I bought this console intending to be playing it for up to a decade, maybe even more. In the grand scheme of things, an extra £100 for the extras is a small price to pay, especially when PS+ is put into the equation.

Hope you enjoy Gravity Rush. I did a review on Amazon of that game too.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
Of course you can do that. Why the fuck is this news? Imagine if your PS4 died and you had to buy a new one. How else would you access your digital games if this option didn't exist? Jeez.
Like you said this already exists, if you login to your PSN account on any PS3 you can go to the downloads list and re-download your games. The thing Sony are trying to emphasize here is the ability to login and start playing much faster, with the new play as you download streaming courtesy of Gakai it will be quicker to login and start playing instead of waiting for a whole 5-30GB game to download.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
CrossLOPER said:
I am having difficulty understanding a situation where I would find myself compelled to go to someone's house and play THEIR console.
It's not that weird. E.g my little brother isn't bringing his PS3 over to my house because bringing it out of the country is extra weight he doesn't need on a flight so he'll just log in on mine when he gets here and vice versa for when I go back home. It's not THAT necessary since we both have 3DSs to play on when visiting each other but its nice to have the option on the off chance that the situation arises.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Terramax said:
SkarKrow said:
Indeed, although, I bought the 32gb mem very early on, and on the whole run it's a damn good investment. Once you have the 32gb, a decent case, then the vita is just awesome.
I got one for £54.99 which is a rip off still but much better than the £80 price they ask as an RRP. If you have PS+ it basically pays for itself though.

I need to get a decent case, maybe something soft and padded rather than a hard shell though.
I own both a hard shell one and a padded soft one. I use the padded one all the time. It was actually a £9.99 one from Gamestation, and I'm really surprised at its quality.

Also, if you haven't already, I HIGHLY recommend screen protectors. You can buy a pack of 3 for about £4.00 on Amazon. I'm still using the 1st one in the pack after over a year! Excellent value.

I'll admit that, whilst I like the size of the Vita, it feels much better playing games with one of these--

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hori-Officially-Licensed-Attachment-PlayStation/dp/B0084SQEO6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373603836&sr=8-1&keywords=ps+vita+grip

There are a few kinds of grips for the Vita, but ever since I've owned this one, I rarely play the console without it. It feels pretty much perfect with it.

Finally, if you go traveling, you should think of buying the battery pack. I did a review for it on Amazon here--

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SONY-COMPUTER-Portable-Charger-PlayStation/dp/B006H3PTS2/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1373603895&sr=1-1&keywords=ps+vita+battery

Well, that's about it really. I know buying all this stuff, + the card, makes the vita a very expensive investment. HOWEVER, as I stated in my review of the charger, the Vita is a long term investment. I bought this console intending to be playing it for up to a decade, maybe even more. In the grand scheme of things, an extra £100 for the extras is a small price to pay, especially when PS+ is put into the equation.

Hope you enjoy Gravity Rush. I did a review on Amazon of that game too.[/quote]

I'm looking for a soft case they avea few on amazon with soe good reviews so I'll likely pick one up after my next paycheck.

As for grips I don't really like that kind of thing and the Vita fits nice in my hands anyway, but my hands I've learned must be relatively small amongst men because I find the 360 controller way too fat.

Oh wow, I didn't know that the battery pack would give so much extra juice xD I'll definately pick one up before I go travelling. My Vita is usually charging when I'm not using it but oddly I don't feel irritated by the battery life, even though it's the same as the 3DS, maybe because it's so much more powerful a machine?

Playing Guacamelee` for now. It's friggin awesome.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
SkarKrow said:
I'm looking for a soft case they avea few on amazon with soe good reviews so I'll likely pick one up after my next paycheck.

As for grips I don't really like that kind of thing and the Vita fits nice in my hands anyway, but my hands I've learned must be relatively small amongst men because I find the 360 controller way too fat.

Oh wow, I didn't know that the battery pack would give so much extra juice xD I'll definately pick one up before I go travelling. My Vita is usually charging when I'm not using it but oddly I don't feel irritated by the battery life, even though it's the same as the 3DS, maybe because it's so much more powerful a machine?

Yeah, I've never had a problem with the battery life either. I've played this thing 100x more than my old DS, and I've only had the thing run out of juice twice, and that's when playing music from it for about 4 hours in one day.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Terramax said:
SkarKrow said:

Yeah, I've never had a problem with the battery life either. I've played this thing 100x more than my old DS, and I've only had the thing run out of juice twice, and that's when playing music from it for about 4 hours in one day.
It nearly died on me when I played Uncharted Golden Abyss for about 5 hours solid xD I really like the thing, it's a shame I have to go back to the 3DS for a couple of exclusives soon ):

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
SkarKrow said:
It nearly died on me when I played Uncharted Golden Abyss for about 5 hours solid xD I really like the thing, it's a shame I have to go back to the 3DS for a couple of exclusives soon ):
Heh, I used to own a 3DS. However, after not playing the thing for about 3 months, after getting a Vita, I sold it for more money for the Vita. Also, I couldn't bring two handhelds with me abroad.

I'll likely buy a 3DS again someday, when there are lots of exclusives for the system. However, I don't enjoy Nintendo exclusives half as much as Sony ones.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Miss G. said:
CrossLOPER said:
I am having difficulty understanding a situation where I would find myself compelled to go to someone's house and play THEIR console.
It's not that weird. E.g my little brother isn't bringing his PS3 over to my house because bringing it out of the country is extra weight he doesn't need on a flight so he'll just log in on mine when he gets here and vice versa for when I go back home. It's not THAT necessary since we both have 3DSs to play on when visiting each other but its nice to have the option on the off chance that the situation arises.
I might be the exception here, but I've moved abroad, and I've had to rebuy a Sega Saturn, PS2, Dreamcast, Gamecube, N64, classic Xbox, and 360, and THEN rebuy all my favourite games for them. This accounts for a quite a pretty penny, as you can imagine.

Not having to rebuy games a second time over, and being able to play them in my mother tongue, rather than in Japanese, would've been all kinds of awesome.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Terramax said:
SkarKrow said:
Heh, I used to own a 3DS. However, after not playing the thing for about 3 months, after getting a Vita, I sold it for more money for the Vita. Also, I couldn't bring two handhelds with me abroad.

I'll likely buy a 3DS again someday, when there are lots of exclusives for the system. However, I don't enjoy Nintendo exclusives half as much as Sony ones.
My 3DS last got used when Luigis Mansion hit, now I'm waiting for the new Mario & Luigi RPG to boot it up again, until then I'm filling my time with Guacamelee` and will start Gravity Rush later today. It doesn't help I've got a huge backlog atm.

Really waiting for pokemon on 3ds still -_-