PlayStation Plus to let Subscribers Vote for Free Games

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
So, as if the games weren't already good enough (i.e. good enough to have sold me on the console last holiday season somewhat regardless of exclusives) for at least a couple sessions, we can make sure they're really good!

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Hm player base keeps asking for triple a games, I am unsure if they will allow that. (dark souls 2 sofs is my thinking)

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
Well I didn't see this coming, this is good, especially since now we'll know a bit in advance what could potentially be coming, I have actually bought a fair few games only to get them for free a week or two later, you can imagine how annoying that can be

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Oly J said:
Well I didn't see this coming, this is good, especially since now we'll know a bit in advance what could potentially be coming, I have actually bought a fair few games only to get them for free a week or two later, you can imagine how annoying that can be
Yeah, but now you're going to buy games only to see them come up on the voting screen and get the same feeling.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Until people can vote on what the games that the "selection" consists of are, I see this as meaningless.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Dreiko said:
Until people can vote on what the games that the "selection" consists of are, I see this as meaningless.
So vote for a choice of what to vote for? Seems redundant.

As for me. This is a step in the right direction. But it might backfire. If you are getting a game free, you probably won't vote for a game you already played even if it's the best of the 3 games.

So players may not even get the best game.

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
So why not have it so you vote what you want to get next month out of a selection, instead of it being up to a million other people if you get a game you want or a game you won't even install/own.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Dreiko said:
You need to understand that it probably isnt that simple, the publishers need to be willing to offer the game in the first place, its not just about the users wanting a game.

I dont know how this is dealt between Sony/Microsoft and the publishers but I presume Sony/Microsoft pay them to be offered since its being used to promote their payed online accounts and their console. A good selection may mean some people buying a month of Playstation Plus or Xbox Live. Or a long track of good games meaning that people may renovate their accounts for longer.

Either way, the publisher very likely has to be willing to offer the game for a price that Sony/Microsoft are willing to pay.

NickBrahz said:
So why not have it so you vote what you want to get next month out of a selection, instead of it being up to a million other people if you get a game you want or a game you won't even install/own.
The skipped games can probably fill some other spots in other months.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Oly J said:
Yeah, but now you're going to buy games only to see them come up on the voting screen and get the same feeling.
Yeah, there's that, but at least now I can really hope the thing I just bought doesn't get voted in

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
This would be great news if they actually offered anything worth playing. PS3 still gets a nice selection of free games but haven't really seen anything on the PS4 that I haven't already played.

I'd rather they just offer better sales on AAA games instead of free indie games tbh.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
josemlopes said:
Dreiko said:
You need to understand that it probably isnt that simple, the publishers need to be willing to offer the game in the first place, its not just about the users wanting a game.

I dont know how this is dealt between Sony/Microsoft and the publishers but I presume Sony/Microsoft pay them to be offered since its being used to promote their payed online accounts and their console. A good selection may mean some people buying a month of Playstation Plus or Xbox Live. Or a long track of good games meaning that people may renovate their accounts for longer.

Either way, the publisher very likely has to be willing to offer the game for a price that Sony/Microsoft are willing to pay.
Obviously that is true, still, it's not stopping them from phrasing this as though one indeed COULD do this thing that I ask. They're framing it like you do have this choice when you actually have only have a much lesser, much more meaningless one.

Lufia Erim said:
Dreiko said:
So vote for a choice of what to vote for? Seems redundant.

As for me. This is a step in the right direction. But it might backfire. If you are getting a game free, you probably won't vote for a game you already played even if it's the best of the 3 games.

So players may not even get the best game.
What's redundant is being given the choice to vote on a number you games that you don't care about. If you vote on which games to be voted on, you could vote on games you actually care for while in this system you'll be forced to choose from a bunch of lesser evils which you may (and most likely will) not actually want to play. Choosing in that context is meaningless. It's like choosing if you wanna be killed with a gun or a rocket. You still end up dead.