PlayStation UK Boss Upset With Fan Reaction to PS4 Event

Fordo

Oct 17, 2007
How it looks is still important. It doesn't matter what my car looks like in order to get me from A to B, but how it looks has an effect.

What if GM released a new car with some flashy tech specs, and dash cam vids, but no body?

I think the more important point shouldn't be whether or not the look of a console is the most important part of a game system, but whether the look of a game system is important when ANNOUNCING your new game system.

Otherwise, my mind immediately goes to a, "the cake is a lie!" way of thinking.

Tropicaz

Aug 7, 2012
I assume that their plan was that by not showing the console, people would be talking about the specs/game reveals rather than filling up comments of 'omg the edges are too round.' But yeah, he surely cant have been to surprised when people got angry that their console reveal didnt reveal the console..

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
All that's important is what the damn thing does? Well then, they're really in trouble now because after watching that press conference I don't know shit about what the PS4 can do. Just "ideas" for games and tech demos.

jcfrommars9

Feb 22, 2013
immovablemover said:
He is spot on, and anyone who bitched about not seeing the console is a certifiable moron. The Event was an announcement, it was there to say "There is a PS4, here is what makes it a PS4, Here is a demonstration of what it can do", It was not "Come gawk at the plastic bits". Just because people are saying "It was a REVEAL" doesn't mean the word is to be taken literally.

People are really quite predictably pathetic.

If they'd just shown what it looks like, people would ***** about a lack of substance.
If they'd shown us what it looks like but skipped on showing us other things, people would ***** about the missing things.
If they'd shown us everything, people would ***** that they didn't have anything to show at E3, or closer to launch.
For the most part (notwithstanding the certifiable moron part), I agree. If people want to be offended by what he said, that's their choice but I'm not insulted the slightest. On top of that, he hasn't asked for my money. There isn't a price tag on the PS4 yet and I'm sure I will see what the console looks like far before I actually choose to buy it. And yes, I'm more interested in what it does than what it looks like.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
SkarKrow said:
grigjd3 said:
So this guy thinks that by insulting his audience, he'll get more business?
The games industry seems to work that way. Most big publishers have in some way insulted the intelligence of the gaming community. Ubisoft persisted in calling PC gamers pirates for years, for example.
Not to mention all those developers complaining about how the used game market is cutting into their sales when in fact it adds value and promotes new sales. Sure Steam does well but they also have severely reduced prices. I think the worst though is DRM that only negatively impacts legitimate customers.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
I kind of agree on the "not showing the box" side of things. I'm not really into the thing I won't be in contact with for most of the time save for setup and changing disks. They showed the controller, which was smart, as that's the thing you're touching most. And they showed a line up of games that will come with the release, which is great.

The only niggle I had with the event was that they called all of the features of the PS4, such as that social play over the internet stuff, "aspirational". Meaning, "we won't have this working on day 1, but just bear with us please". I guess I also didn't like how they didn't drill down further into the architecture. Calling stuff "supercharged" doesn't really satisfy those of a technical leaning. Give us a SKU number, clock speeds, etc. Not just an arbitrary bandwidth number that means nothing.

jcfrommars9

Feb 22, 2013
They did show what it is. What they didn't show is what it looked like. And if people were actually more interested in what it looked like than what it actually did, then I'm not sure exactly how that is reasonable.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Let's be honest. Since Intelivison and Atari to Nintendo and sega the game is this.

The brave company makes a new console.
The careful company waits to see what the specs are then rushes to one up the console.

See Genesis/ Super Nintendo...

The pattern repeats over and over and doesn't change.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
"It's much more important to see what the damn thing does."
Fergal Gara, you utter dickweed. You have the audacity to talk down to potential customers and then utter this very sentence when the fucking company that pays your meal tickets remains tight-lipped on this very issue? The one damn thing I care about at this point, i.e. the question of used games (which I'd say falls under the subset of 'what the damn thing does'), and Sony won't give us a fucking answer? Snotty prick.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Eggsnham said:
I'm personally more irritated that they're releasing next-gen consoles in the first place, we haven't even reached the pinnacle of what the current generation machines can do, do we really need another batch of consoles to replace the current ones?
no, we really have reached the limit, optimization can do wonders but it only goes so far
the hard ware we have for consoles is constantly being pushed to its absolute limits by the newer games

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
kburns10 said:
I guess for me I was impressed with the specs and gameplay footage shown. Hell, the fact we even saw gameplay footage was unexpected. I know whatever the console looks like will be fine. If it plays games and plays them well, I'm fine with a wait to see it.
A person more cynical than myself would suggest that most of what "gameplay" was shown was simply scripted events, with the slight possibility of actually using an in-game engine.

OT: I'll probably be a few years behind on picking the PS4 up anyway, like I was with the PS2 and the PS3, so all of the hype in the world has no effect on me. Don't care that Sony didn't reveal what it looked like, because I didn't even care enough to watch most of the event. Tech demos and pre-rendered cut-scenes aren't enough to get me excited anymore.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
I completely agree with him. When I read through an article detailing all the new features I was far more interested in what I was reading than what the thing looked like. Who cares? A box is a box. As long as it's not absolutely hideous and is manageable in size then I'm good.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Of course it's "more important" to see what it can do. But revealing something generally means showing it. People had expectations. People want all the details so that they can make an informed decision. People want to know to know exactly what you expect them to buy is.

No, you the man captcha!

Esoomspark

Aug 4, 2012
But Sony, how do you expect me to get hyped for a console that, for all I know, could be shaped like a giant phallus?

T_ConX

Mar 8, 2010
It's important that we see the physical device. This thing could be occupying a spot on out TV shelves for the next five to eight years, so it's kind of important to see what it looks like!

MikeWehner said:
For all intents and purposes, Sony's PlayStation 2013 event did a fine job of showing what PlayStation fans can look forward to later this year - at least in terms of new software.
Really? I hated everything about that show.

Knack
This game just looks terrible.

Destiny
Killzone: Shadow Fall

Because this console generation did nothing to satisfy my need to look down a space-rifles iron-sights!

The Witness

Wandering around a deserted island solving puzzles. Sorry Blow, but Myst did this 20 years ago.

DriveClub

Sorry, but the only Driving-Sims I want to play are ones that let me decorate my cars with Badass Decals.

Final Fantasy XV

Square is making a Final Fantasy game. NOT NEWS!

inFamous: Second Son

Well... I liked the other two...

Watch_Dogs
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Cyberpunk 2077

I'm actually looking forward to these, and can't wait to play them... ON MY PC!

Diablo III

I don't even want to play the PC version, so why would I waste my time with this

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
This is the gaming industry in a nutshell, really. "We do something stupid, then lash out at your for backlash."

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Esoomspark said:
But Sony, how do you expect me to get hyped for a console that, for all I know, could be shaped like a giant phallus?
Judging from Minecraft and custom flags in Call of Duty, that would be a selling point to most.