PlayStation Vita Components Worth $159.10

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005

Technology experts disassembled Sony's handheld and totaled up what each part was worth.

According to TechInsights [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115334-Vita-Sales-Get-Even-Worse], the hardware components of the Vita are estimated to cost $159.10, in contrast to the 3DS component costs of $101 at launch. So it looks like the suggested retail price of the Vita is entirely justified.

Here is a general breakdown of what each element costs in the Vita:

Display and touchscreens: $50
Battery: $3.60
Cameras: $3.50
Wi-Fi/BT/GPS: $3.50
NAND: $6.00
SDRAM: $9.25
Processor: $16.00
BB+XCR: $16.25
Non-electronic: $11.00
Other: $30.00
Supporting materials: $10.00

We have yet to see how the Vita will be received in the West, but it might end up as another black eye for the company. Like Sony's Betamax videotape format, a superior product that lost to VHS, the Vita seems appreciable better than Nintendo's handhelds in every way - processing power, screen resolution, and launch lineup of more than 25 games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114915-PS-Vita-to-Launch-Worldwide-with-25-or-More-Games].

It's even being priced aggressively with only a $90 production profit margin (250 - 160 = 90) that doesn't take into account marketing or development costs. In fact, Sony is still likely losing money on each Vita sold.

Despite all that, the tiny handheld just might be what breaks Sony's back and forces the venerable Japanese company out of the gaming hardware market.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-20-is-the-playstation-vita-worth-230]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Greg Tito said:
(350 - 160 = 90)
Now im fairly certain thats a mistake. I hate doing maths but im still decent enough with numbers to spot that.

And i highly doubt Sony is about to back out of being a first-party publisher, even if they lose some many millions on the Vita i think they would rather take that than leave the console market to be shared exclusively by Nintendo and Microsoft.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Apparently poeple who assemble the vita do if for free and then they are delivered around the world at no cost. Those nice oil companies give the fuel away for free and the retailers don't put a mark up on it when they sell the Vita. Those nice designers and engineers gave their time for free and the lawyers that filed the patents and negotiated contracts did so out of the kindness of their hearts. Or, wild stab in the dark here, cost of components isn't the same as cost to produce.

TheBanMan_v1legacy

Sep 17, 2010
albino boo said:
Apparently poeple who assemble the vita do if for free and then they are delivered around the world at no cost. Those nice oil companies give the fuel away for free and the retailers don't put a mark up on it when they sell the Vita. Those nice designers and engineers gave their time for free and the lawyers that filed the patents and negotiated contracts did so out of the kindness of their hearts. Or, wild stab in the dark here, cost of components isn't the same as cost to produce.
Wouldn't that be the part where they say " In fact, Sony is still likely losing money on each Vita sold."?

The article doesn't claim anything more than the components are worth that much.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Marketing, shipping, development... It's all well and good, but there's one key being left out: retailer markup. I highly doubt stores are selling at cost.

P.S. Thanks

Hunter65416

Oct 22, 2010
Greg Tito said:

the PlayStation Vita is an impressive piece of hardware. The large touchscreen with dual analog sticks set it above its main competition - the Nintendo 3DS

We have yet to see how the Vita will be received in the West, but it might end up as another black eye for the company. Like Sony's Betamax videotape format, a superior product that lost to VHS, the Vita seems appreciable better than Nintendo's handhelds in every way
Jeez greg your suppossed to be a journalist not the guy who writes the opinion column, I probably will end up buying this assuming its priced reasonably here in aus

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
I have no issue with the $250 cost of the sysyem but rather the ridiculously expensive memory cards. They make the system a no-go for me right from the get-go.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
While I would like to see the Vita fall on its face, I only want it to be a "bloody nose/broken nose" kind of fall, not a "fatal skull fracture" fall. Nintendo needs some actual competition so it can push the envelope more and continue to have the premiere gaming experience.

MysticnFm

Jul 8, 2009
$350-$160 is $190.

EDIT: I somehow missed the two comments that have said this already. I am blind.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
MysticnFm said:
$350-$160 is $190.

EDIT: I somehow missed the two comments that have said this already. I am blind.
Yeah, I'm an idiot. I blame the booze.

Greg

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
I highly doubt a fail with this product will make Sony back out of the gaming hardware market. Maybe (and that's a pretty big maybe) they will drop out of the handheld market if this fails entirely. I would love to buy one of the wifi only vitas other than that I am on the whole $100.00 for a measly 32GB memory card no thank you band wagon.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
still think the lack of backwards compatibility will kill this thing, if they plan to lag behind without anything until next christmas

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
I'm waiting for some games before I make the decision. Nothing has really sold me yet.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
weirdguy said:
still think the lack of backwards compatibility will kill this thing, if they plan to lag behind without anything until next christmas
Adding that capacity would at the very least drive up the price of the thing, if not make the Vita itself larger from the extra junk stuffed into it. They had to pull BC from the PS3 to bring the price down, since that was what people were so vocal about.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I wonder how this is gonna do here. It's doing piss poor in Japan.

It being more powerful has nothing to do with how it will do in sales. The most important point is the cost versus what you get out of it. I mean, you get the system for $250... that's it... nothing else. The games are $40 and you have to shell out for their proprietary memory card. I love how everyone writes this up like you are gonna jump into gaming at a mere $250 (for the WiFi version, I mean 3G... really?). You are looking at a minumum of $337 (with NJ sales tax figured in) just to have a reason to charge it... which only lasts for four hours.

I'm really just saying that it's a big payout all at once. And if it's for you, then have at it.

Also... why is this article up twice today? It's not exactly the same article, but it's the same article.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
I want to get one, but I honestly just don't have the cash. Hell I'm lucky I'm able to get ME3 in March (a month and half, just a little longer!). At this point I'm trying to find a job and start a webcomic so the vita will have to wait. But hey, maybe once I get a job...

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
albino boo said:
Potential customers don't care about the process involved in making something. They already have a perceived cost in their head. If that perceived cost is much more than what they think, chances are, they won't buy it.