Please Bring Back The Recent Topics Side Bar!

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
14,056
990
118
Never! Feel the grip of my Iron Hand!!! Wha ha haaaaaaa!

...what I meant to say is that the only ones who could do something like that would be the staff and I'm not even certain they still exist, let alone would visit the forum.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contact/

Use that link to contact them but I wouldn't expect anything to actually happen...

You could also PM n0e [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/n0e] as he seems the most active of the staff. Or is he the only staff? It's getting hard to tell nowadays...
 

Arnoxthe1

New member
Dec 25, 2010
3,374
0
0
tippy2k2 said:
the only ones who could do something like that would be the staff and I'm not even certain they still exist, let alone would visit the forum.
Of course there's staff. There literally has to be in order to maintain the site and make sure nothing screws up. And somebody removed it. They can certainly add it back again. Contacted the person(s) cited above though. Thanks!
 

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
6,760
0
0

This will more or less explain why the Recent Topic was removed. If you don't get it, next time take the red pill...
 

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Moderator
Legacy
Mar 26, 2020
7,132
74
53
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Gender
ā™‚
The recent topics side bar was removed because Wild West posts kept appearing in it, unless they find a way to filter those out, it probably won't be returning any time soon.
 

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
1,873
576
118
Arnoxthe1 said:
tippy2k2 said:
the only ones who could do something like that would be the staff and I'm not even certain they still exist, let alone would visit the forum.
Of course there's staff. There literally has to be in order to maintain the site and make sure nothing screws up. And somebody removed it. They can certainly add it back again. Contacted the person(s) cited above though. Thanks!
There's a plugin to put it back in since they haven't actually bothered to remove it from the page source. https://greasyfork.org/scripts/22151-re-add-popular-forum-posts-widget/code/Re-Add%20Popular%20Forum%20Posts%20Widget.user.js
 

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
6,374
0
0
Arnoxthe1 said:
tippy2k2 said:
the only ones who could do something like that would be the staff and I'm not even certain they still exist, let alone would visit the forum.
Of course there's staff. There literally has to be in order to maintain the site and make sure nothing screws up. And somebody removed it. They can certainly add it back again. Contacted the person(s) cited above though. Thanks!
In addition to JoJo's explanation, as far as we're aware there's no Tech Team anymore, so while they have the capability of removing/reintegrating the bar, they appear to be incapable of recoding the bar so that Wild West posts don't show up anymore.
 
Apr 5, 2008
3,736
0
0
Bring it back, even with Wild West posts. Or put WW forum into whatever category that Religion and Politics is in, since those posts don't show up. Nor do those from most other forums in fact.

This *needs* to be fixed...I'm so close to leaving this site and my pub club membership behind. I have been a member for many years and this is the single-worst change to happen to the Escapist. The sidebar is the gateway to the community's current conversations and without it this site has become utterly silent. I visit this site to see what fellow geeks and gamers are chatting about and that is gone now. I would take the sidebox with WW posts over no box at all. I beseech any site staff who read this to fix this as a matter of priority.
 

Pirate Of PC Master race

Rambles about half of the time
Jun 14, 2013
596
0
0
Wild west forum is one of the, if not the most active forum in this site.

Doing so will interfere with your searching considerably. Still, if you really desire it I can't stop you.
You have been warned.....

- this message was brought to you by WWW -
 

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
1,691
296
88
It has been nearly three and a half months now since it disappeared, if they had people capable of properly editing it on their team still, it would have been fixed by now.

Being no stranger to PHP and MySql ( assuming that this is what the widget was created with ), I'd like to volunteer to help out with modifying the widget. I wouldn't even want access to the website, just a copy of the source of the widget's page would suffice to make an initial estimate as to how to go about it, or which other files would be needed to set up the widget properly.

Although I also understand that with a site as big as this with a big company behind it, one can't easily go around giving access to parts of the source code to random members, but I'm putting this out there, just in case.
 

Zydrate

New member
Apr 1, 2009
1,914
0
0
I thought it was very useful. I don't know what "Wild West" means in this context, though.
 

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
1,691
296
88
Zydrate said:
I thought it was very useful. I don't know what "Wild West" means in this context, though.
It's a new sub forum that was created back in August where there is no moderation, meaning rather weird topic names show up there. Topic names the powers that be didn't want showing up on the main page of the website.

Thing is though, the Wild West sub forum is only accessible to premium members and thus, topics were only visible to premium members, meaning that guests or normal users would never see these topics.
 

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
14,056
990
118
bluegate said:
Thing is though, the Wild West sub forum is only accessible to premium members and thus, topics were only visible to premium members, meaning that guests or normal users would never see these topics.
I could be wrong but wasn't the main issue with them showing up was that non-PC people could see it but it gave them an "Access denied" message since they were not PC?

With no Tech Team to fix it, they blew it up.
 

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
1,691
296
88
tippy2k2 said:
bluegate said:
Thing is though, the Wild West sub forum is only accessible to premium members and thus, topics were only visible to premium members, meaning that guests or normal users would never see these topics.
I could be wrong but wasn't the main issue with them showing up was that non-PC people could see it but it gave them an "Access denied" message since they were not PC?

With no Tech Team to fix it, they blew it up.
Pub Club topics don't show up in the widget for non Pub Club members, actually.
My guess is that the problem was that some offensive topics were showing up on the front page, for pub club members, that is.
 

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
4,585
0
0
shrekfan246 said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
tippy2k2 said:
the only ones who could do something like that would be the staff and I'm not even certain they still exist, let alone would visit the forum.
Of course there's staff. There literally has to be in order to maintain the site and make sure nothing screws up. And somebody removed it. They can certainly add it back again. Contacted the person(s) cited above though. Thanks!
In addition to JoJo's explanation, as far as we're aware there's no Tech Team anymore, so while they have the capability of removing/reintegrating the bar, they appear to be incapable of recoding the bar so that Wild West posts don't show up anymore.
There was certainly some functionality around filtering out posts in certain forums though, as Religion and Politics, Forum Games and other forums were not included the sidebar.

I guess it comes down to how easy to maintain and update the Tech Team made that functionality.
 

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
33,804
0
0
If anyone on the staff is capable of doing that, they aren't making the fact known.
 

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
48,837
0
0
Barbas said:
If anyone on the staff is capable of doing that, they aren't making the fact known.
My guess is that those who would have actually bothered left when Kross and the gang were canned. :/
 

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
33,804
0
0
Redlin5 said:
My guess is that those who would have actually bothered left when Kross and the gang were canned. :/
I wish I could disagree, but sadly that appears to be the truth.

Anyway, this looks more or less concluded, so I'll lock the thread now.