Please help an old and starving gamer

1L19

New member
Jan 21, 2018
63
0
0
I've been playing PC games for 32 years going all the way back to Colossal Cave Adventure on a Tandy TRS-80. I've replayed my favorite games so many times that I know every mission, screen and bit of dialog. There are tons and tons of available games but I'm hungry for a high quality one player game to break the monotony. I am, however, afraid that I've tapped the entire PC gaming pool and there's just nothing out there to try.

Here is a picture of my favorite games along with hours played. Following that is a list of games I also own or know I don't want to play. I would welcome and appreciate any and all suggestions for something I could check out. Thank you!



Amnesia: Dark Descent - Didn't like at all
Dark Souls - Recently purchased. Seems like keyboard only??
Duskers - No end game
Event[0] - Pretty good but short
Far Cry Series - Pending
Homeworld - Just can't get into it
Kentuck Route Zero - Love it
Kerbal Space Program - Not for me. Don't know why I bought it.
Minecraft - HELL no. I'm not an artist nor a crafting type.
Metro 2033 - Really wanted to like this but the PC controls are unworkable for me
Total War: Shogun 2 - Once again a game I shouldn't have bought. Not a genre I enjoy.
The Witcher 2: Another one I couldn't get into due to the terrible PC controls
 

1L19

New member
Jan 21, 2018
63
0
0
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
RimWorld is a phenomenal time sink with a definite end goal.
Thank you very much for the recommendation Addendum_Forthcoming. Normally I wouldn't look at a sim but you said there is an end goal and it's a sci-fi theme so I might just give it a go. Most appreciated.
 

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
4,267
0
0
I don't understand how you'd think Dark Souls is keyboard only, it says on the store page a controller is recommended and it's available on consoles too. Unless you seem to not get it to work. The Witcher II the same. Like, controller is always better for 3D (non-shooter) action games so try them with one.

Prey (2017) maybe? I hear that's good. Also the Shadowrun games.
 

1L19

New member
Jan 21, 2018
63
0
0
Aerosteam said:
I don't understand how you'd think Dark Souls is keyboard only, it says on the store page a controller is recommended and it's available on consoles too. Unless you seem to not get it to work. The Witcher II the same. Like, controller is always better for 3D (non-shooter) action games so try them with one.

Prey (2017) maybe? I hear that's good.
I meant keyboard only rather than keyboard and mouse. I don't play any console games and I don't have a console controller. Most of straight FPS and FPS adventure games on my list work perfectly with a keyboard and mouse. I don't really care for a game that isn't properly ported for PC. Now if I was trying to play GTA or Madden on my PC then that's a different story but for games like Dark Souls and The Witcher the standard Mouse + ASWD combination should be the default.

Of course that's just my personal opinion. :)

I will be checking out Prey immediately and I really do appreciate you throwing out a title. Might just be my next favorite game.
 

jedisensei

New member
Nov 23, 2009
47
0
0
Alien: Isolation
Banner Saga
Call of Juarez
Divinity: Original Sin & 2
Dragon Age
Metro series
Shadowrun Returns & Dragonfall & Hong Kong
Spec Ops: The Line
XCOM & 2

Your list appears to have some pretty big holes...
 

1L19

New member
Jan 21, 2018
63
0
0
1L19 said:
Aerosteam said:
I don't understand how you'd think Dark Souls is keyboard only, it says on the store page a controller is recommended and it's available on consoles too. Unless you seem to not get it to work. The Witcher II the same. Like, controller is always better for 3D (non-shooter) action games so try them with one.

Prey (2017) maybe? I hear that's good.
I meant keyboard only rather than keyboard and mouse. I don't play any console games and I don't have a console controller. Most of straight FPS and FPS adventure games on my list work perfectly with a keyboard and mouse. I don't really care for a game that isn't properly ported for PC. Now if I was trying to play GTA or Madden on my PC then that's a different story but for games like Dark Souls and The Witcher the standard Mouse + ASWD combination should be the default.

Of course that's just my personal opinion. :)

I will be checking out Prey immediately and I really do appreciate you throwing out a title. Might just be my next favorite game.
DSFix is essential for playing Dark Souls (original or Prepare to Die version) on PC, but it?s likely the port will be properly fixed with the new remastered version that?s due out later this year. It plays perfectly well with a controller but may take some adjusting/tweaking for KB/Mouse to play smoothly.
 

1L19

New member
Jan 21, 2018
63
0
0
jedisensei said:
Alien: Isolation
Banner Saga
Call of Juarez
Divinity: Original Sin & 2
Dragon Age
Metro series
Shadowrun Returns & Dragonfall & Hong Kong
Spec Ops: The Line
XCOM & 2

Your list appears to have some pretty big holes...
I don't know what you mean by big holes it's just a personal list of the games I've played. I'll be checking out the titles you've listed but you may be able to tell from my list that I don't play many strategy games RTS or TBS so no Banner Saga, XCOM, Shadowrun, etc. I own Metro 2033 as I mentioned above but the controls made it unplayable for me. I've played Dragon Age but forgot to add it to the list... definitely worth a mention.

So from your list I'm most interested in Call of Juarez which I've never heard of, Divinity which I might have heard of but never checked out and Spec Ops: The Line which looks like a game I could really dig. Thank you very much for taking the time to pass along some titles. I've now got three more I'm keen to check out.
 

1L19

New member
Jan 21, 2018
63
0
0
DSFix is essential for playing Dark Souls (original or Prepare to Die version) on PC, but it?s likely the port will be properly fixed with the new remastered version that?s due out later this year. It plays perfectly well with a controller but may take some adjusting/tweaking for KB/Mouse to play smoothly.
Good to know I'll be on the lookout.
 

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
6,775
409
88
Gender
Male
If you ever think you might want to try a visual novel, the Danganronpa trilogy is worth checking out. There aren't that many decision points, but on the other hand it's got a lot more game in it with the mystery solving aspect.

I see you love Nethack and FTL, which makes me both hasten and hesitate to recommend a more action-focused roguelike, but Enter the Gungeon is really high quality, and playable with a mouse and keyboard.

Ever tried the other two Bioshock games? The second one is still pretty good, but the other two are even better.
 

Frezzato

New member
Oct 17, 2012
2,448
0
0
Hmm. No Fallout 3 or Fallout 4? And regarding Fallout 4, your comment about Minecraft (not a crafting type), does that apply to building settlements? Honestly, settlement building was very fun in Fallout 4, even on console, regardless of the logic holes surrounding it.

What I mean is, building a seamless wall around a settlement with well-guarded entrances won't necessarily keep bad guys out, but building good defensive coverage overall will help.

Also, about Minecraft, I thought I hated it because I would check out videos of it on YouTube, never realizing that just about everyone that posts videos of it always seem to play in creative mode. The reason being that people just want to upload how-to videos with minimal hassle from the game, but ultimately it's stupid because they have unlimited resources in creative.

Survival in Minecraft is the only way to go; you have to grow your own food and gather everything you want to build with. And thankfully, there is an end game, something I've been putting off for a long time because I love building stuff to help me survive/thrive, plus once I finish it, I'm likely never going to play it again.
 

Arnoxthe1

New member
Dec 25, 2010
3,374
0
0
There is a baffling lack of Elder Scrolls on this list. But that's good news because BOY OH BOY have I got a new timesink for you. If you really want to experience everything from the beginning, play:

A little bit of The Elder Scrolls I: Arena
A little bit of The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Make sure to patch it to hell with unofficial patches to make sure it's completely stable, and also, get a mod that allows you to run without consuming Stamina. Trust me.)
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Get the Unofficial Patch for it like Morrowind. And get Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul or else deal with some TERRIBLE level scaling. And if you want to although I highly advise it anyway, in the Oblivion.ini, mod the zooming whenever you enter conversation so the stupid ass game doesn't do a complete closeup on all those AWFUL faces. *shudder* Or maybe even better yet, just get a mod that completely overhauls the faces.)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Once again, Unofficial Patch. You know the drill. But thankfully, that's all you really need for this game.)

Morrowind and up can be modded very extensively so keep that in mind, although, I would just play the games vanilla first before you start modding them so you know what you want and what will work well.

If you don't want to do all that though and just want the Elder Scrolls experience quick and dirty, just buy Skyrim, although I might heavily recommend going through the games in sequence.

-

Now, I can recommend a TON more games but I think I'll just leave it at that until you need more.
 

1L19

New member
Jan 21, 2018
63
0
0
UnderRail - personal recommendation
Darkest Dungeon - going off list
Furi - left field

Arnoxthe1 said:
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Make sure to patch it to hell with unofficial patches to make sure it's completely stable, and also, get a mod that allows you to run without consuming Stamina. Trust me.)
Have mercy
 

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
6,775
409
88
Gender
Male
Gauche said:
Furi - left field
I'll second Furi. I didn't think of it before, but it's a pretty cool little game.

Maybe a little difficult to play on M+K. Then again, the first time I played Arkham Asylum, I did it that way and did fine.

(P.S. Batman: Arkham Asylum.)
 

1L19

New member
Jan 21, 2018
63
0
0
leet_x1337 said:
If you ever think you might want to try a visual novel, the Danganronpa trilogy is worth checking out. There aren't that many decision points, but on the other hand it's got a lot more game in it with the mystery solving aspect.

I see you love Nethack and FTL, which makes me both hasten and hesitate to recommend a more action-focused roguelike, but Enter the Gungeon is really high quality, and playable with a mouse and keyboard.

Ever tried the other two Bioshock games? The second one is still pretty good, but the other two are even better.
Yes sir on the Bioshock games although I left the first one out I have both Bioshock 2 and Bioshock Infinite as 7/10. That Bioshock Infinite though was one of the very worse games I've ever played as far as poor control, specifically the mouse. Anyway I recently played Life is Strange and I really, really liked it so I'm definitely willing to give Danganronpa a look. I'll also check out Enter the Gungeon as I do love the high risk games. Thank you very much leet_x1337 for the suggestion. Most appreciated.
 

1L19

New member
Jan 21, 2018
63
0
0
Frezzato said:
Hmm. No Fallout 3 or Fallout 4? And regarding Fallout 4, your comment about Minecraft (not a crafting type), does that apply to building settlements? Honestly, settlement building was very fun in Fallout 4, even on console, regardless of the logic holes surrounding it.

What I mean is, building a seamless wall around a settlement with well-guarded entrances won't necessarily keep bad guys out, but building good defensive coverage overall will help.

Also, about Minecraft, I thought I hated it because I would check out videos of it on YouTube, never realizing that just about everyone that posts videos of it always seem to play in creative mode. The reason being that people just want to upload how-to videos with minimal hassle from the game, but ultimately it's stupid because they have unlimited resources in creative.

Survival in Minecraft is the only way to go; you have to grow your own food and gather everything you want to build with. And thankfully, there is an end game, something I've been putting off for a long time because I love building stuff to help me survive/thrive, plus once I finish it, I'm likely never going to play it again.
Hmm not sure why I left Fallout 3 off the list but I did include New Vegas. I really enjoyed both those games so great recommendations. I didn't play Fallout 4 as it was completely trashed on many of the review sites and I just didn't want to throw down the money for a less than good game.

It's funny what you say about Minecraft because I do that as well with games... and movies sometimes. I don't play the end game because I don't want it to be over. Thank you for your reply Frezzato. Very cool of you.
 

1L19

New member
Jan 21, 2018
63
0
0
Potjeslatinist said:
Put as many pingpong balls in your mouth as you can, then try to break that record!
Can I play it with a keyboard and mouse? :)