Please help an old and starving gamer

Drathnoxis

Artificial Person
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
3,718
598
118
Country
Canada
Gender
Male
leet_x1337 said:
Drathnoxis said:
*headdesk*
Dumb, dumb, dumb! There were so many things I could have done different!
I get that feeling from playing Gungeon and Spelunky. Both top-tier action-roguelikes. The roguelike elements aren't gratuitous, but luck doesn't rule your runs; almost all of them can be completed if you know what you're doing.

(I haven't yet cleared either of them, but I've got some beginner tips: for Gungeon, run with the Marine first of all, since he gets higher accuracy and more health as a passive. In Spelunky, make sure you use all your bombs, since almost everything's destructible, and whip crates open to get more.)
I haven't played Gungeon, but I like Spelunky. I even beat it once. Just the regular ending though, not the super secret special ending. Best thing to do, I think, is look up how to open up all the shortcuts and practice each segment separately.
 

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Apr 3, 2020
6,609
236
68
Gender
Male
Drathnoxis said:
I haven't played Gungeon, but I like Spelunky. I even beat it once. Just the regular ending though, not the super secret special ending. Best thing to do, I think, is look up how to open up all the shortcuts and practice each segment separately.
A lot of people actually tell me that Binding of Isaac and Nuclear Throne are better than Enter the Gungeon, but the reason I don't like those two as much is that luck tends to rule them. Sure, pretty much any seed can be beaten with enough effort, but sometimes you'll get one that just turns the game into a no-brainer. Gungeon doesn't have that. There are seeds that give you a lot to work with and seeds that give you less, but even if you get lucky with your drops, you still have to work for your victory; there's no combination that can just break everything.
 

Drathnoxis

Artificial Person
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
3,718
598
118
Country
Canada
Gender
Male
leet_x1337 said:
Drathnoxis said:
I haven't played Gungeon, but I like Spelunky. I even beat it once. Just the regular ending though, not the super secret special ending. Best thing to do, I think, is look up how to open up all the shortcuts and practice each segment separately.
A lot of people actually tell me that Binding of Isaac and Nuclear Throne are better than Enter the Gungeon, but the reason I don't like those two as much is that luck tends to rule them. Sure, pretty much any seed can be beaten with enough effort, but sometimes you'll get one that just turns the game into a no-brainer. Gungeon doesn't have that. There are seeds that give you a lot to work with and seeds that give you less, but even if you get lucky with your drops, you still have to work for your victory; there's no combination that can just break everything.
I like Isaac too, but yeah there are crazy good item combos. Nethack isn't really like that. Even with really good items you still need to pay attention or you might die to something really stupid. That's a big part of why I tend to play it so obsessively, I think.
 

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Apr 3, 2020
6,609
236
68
Gender
Male
Drathnoxis said:
I like Isaac too, but yeah there are crazy good item combos. Nethack isn't really like that. Even with really good items you still need to pay attention or you might die to something really stupid. That's a big part of why I tend to play it so obsessively, I think.
Well, Gungeon isn't quite as expansive as Nethack. Maybe that turns you off it, maybe that might make it more palatable for others. Different strokes and all that, but considering it's only $15 on Steam and others, that's a fair price for a 'maybe' if you ask me.
 

Drathnoxis

Artificial Person
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
3,718
598
118
Country
Canada
Gender
Male
1L19 said:
Drathnoxis said:
The biggest problem with Nethack is that I get so obsessive playing it. I always think "I'll just do this one thing" and then next thing I know I've spent 6 hours on it!
You just did it to me man. I logged on the other day to take that screenshot and knew I left myself in pretty good shape and now I'm at it again. I even have a marker on me so it's on for sure.
How did you run go? I'm pretty into the game again. I'm going for speed this time. I got one in under 24000, but I'm not really happy with that.

Also I went through and got the config file working with 3.6.0 if anybody is interested.
 

StBishop

New member
Sep 22, 2009
3,251
0
0
original fallout games, balgur's gate 1, planescape torment.

I haven't played tides of numinera but I hear good things.
 

Cycloptomese

New member
Jun 4, 2015
313
0
0
Something just hit me... Is your name... ?? "This is 1L19, westbound on Olympic".... A Terminator reference?
 

SSLeo

New member
Feb 23, 2018
6
0
0
1L19 said:
I've been playing PC games for 32 years going all the way back to Colossal Cave Adventure on a Tandy TRS-80. I've replayed my favorite games so many times that I know every mission, screen and bit of dialog. There are tons and tons of available games but I'm hungry for a high quality one player game to break the monotony. I am, however, afraid that I've tapped the entire PC gaming pool and there's just nothing out there to try.

Here is a picture of my favorite games along with hours played. Following that is a list of games I also own or know I don't want to play. I would welcome and appreciate any and all suggestions for something I could check out. Thank you!



Amnesia: Dark Descent - Didn't like at all
Dark Souls - Recently purchased. Seems like keyboard only??
Duskers - No end game
Event[0] - Pretty good but short
Far Cry Series - Pending
Homeworld - Just can't get into it
Kentuck Route Zero - Love it
Kerbal Space Program - Not for me. Don't know why I bought it.
Minecraft - HELL no. I'm not an artist nor a crafting type.
Metro 2033 - Really wanted to like this but the PC controls are unworkable for me
Total War: Shogun 2 - Once again a game I shouldn't have bought. Not a genre I enjoy.
The Witcher 2: Another one I couldn't get into due to the terrible PC controls

Sad, why have you not tried "Return of Warrior", its an old MMORPG and they say its one of the best MMORPG back in the old days, just a heads up RoW has returned last March 2017 and currently released a video as a teaser for their soon coming new client