Please pull up your pants good sir

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
I figure this is old, but I feel I should ask.

I am a 23 year old female, and wish to gain the knowledge of the males out there, or females who might know the inner workings of the male mind. Please enlighten me so as I might be able to better communicate and understand.

Im sure everyone has seen this fashion, and Im sure some have even participated. The need for males (perhaps females, though I find considerably less. Usually their issue is shirts that are too small or too tight of pants. Damn muffin tops...) to feature their wondrous multi-colored boxers to the world.

Due to the fact I am female I try not to feature my panties to everyone who just so happens to walk by. However perhaps I have a sense of modesty that is not the norm. Is this fashion of clothing comfortable for men? Is it really easier to hold your pants halfway down your hips? And before you put on your wardrobe do you specifically chose out the underwear you wish to feature? (Dont want your plaid boxers to go against your orange shorts right?)

These are real questions. As stated I dont wear my clothes this way, and my feminine hips wont even really allow me to (unless Im doing it wrong. This is possible). At what point does a male look at another males underwear and go "dear god that is amazing... i should do that as well. My boxers are CONSIDERABLY more manly and amazing then THAT mans. Everyone must know.".

Hey, if this really is a comfortable form of fashion I will jump on this boat and ride it! Just inform me of your insight, your experiences, or your knowledge as to why this fad exists. ;3

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
I have no fucking idea why people do this. Hell, it's even weirder when they're wearing a belt and still have their pants like that.

Maybe I can't begin to comprehend it because I choose function over appearance in pretty much everything I can. So, this "fashion" makes no damn sense to me, because I wear my pants above my ass on the off-chance that I need to run for some reason (and, you know, I grew up wearing 'em this way), and holding my pants up at the same time would be a great detriment to that endeavor.

Sorry I couldn't help, but if it's any consolation, there are men that don't understand why other men do this, either.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
1) People still do this? I haven't seen it in quite some time.

2) Next time you see someone doing it, why not just ask them? They'll be much more likely to give you a simple and honest answer than a bunch of fashion-dumb nerds speculating on the internet.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I like to wear my pants so high that it makes me seem like a senior citizen, so I don't know...

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
Jack the Potato said:

2) Next time you see someone doing it, why not just ask them? They'll be much more likely to give you a simple and honest answer than a bunch of fashion-dumb nerds speculating on the internet.
Oh yes, yes it does, at least in my neighborhood.
I have asked, but no one can seem to give me a dignified normal answer besides "Well.. it's cool brah! because I, like, can!"

I love these people. :3

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
I used to do it when I was younger. When I was pretty heavy into rap music, so I tried to look the part and shit, I guess. Pretty silly now that I have matured and look back on that crap. If I remember correctly, it was somewhat comfortable, but my mind is a little foggy.

But yeah, just a certain cultural fashion I'd imagine.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
SaetonChapelle said:
Jack the Potato said:

I have asked, but no one can seem to give me a dignified normal answer besides "Well.. it's cool brah! because I, like, can!"

Well, there's your answer. It's cool. It's the "in" thing. It's really THAT simple. People often do things because their peers think it's cool. Who are we to judge?

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
SaetonChapelle said:

I am a 23 year old female, and wish to gain the knowledge of the males out there, or females who might know the inner workings of the male mind. Please enlighten me so as I might be able to better communicate and understand.

Im sure everyone has seen this fashion, and Im sure some have even participated. The need for males (perhaps females, though I find considerably less. Usually their issue is shirts that are too small or too tight of pants. Damn muffin tops...) to feature their wondrous multi-colored boxers to the world.

Due to the fact I am female I try not to feature my panties to everyone who just so happens to walk by. However perhaps I have a sense of modesty that is not the norm. Is this fashion of clothing comfortable for men? Is it really easier to hold your pants halfway down your hips? And before you put on your wardrobe do you specifically chose out the underwear you wish to feature? (Dont want your plaid boxers to go against your orange shorts right?)

These are real questions. As stated I dont wear my clothes this way, and my feminine hips wont even really allow me to (unless Im doing it wrong. This is possible). At what point does a male look at another males underwear and go "dear god that is amazing... i should do that as well. My boxers are CONSIDERABLY more manly and amazing then THAT mans. Everyone must know.".

Hey, if this really is a comfortable form of fashion I will jump on this boat and ride it! Just inform me of your insight, your experiences, or your knowledge as to why this fad exists. ;3
hip hop culture influenced it, which was influenced by US prison culture.

Btw I don't think guys would complain if women started wearing their jeans in a way that showed their panties XD

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
Volf said:
SaetonChapelle said:

Btw I don't think guys would complain if women started wearing their jeans in a way that showed their panties XD
Depending on the female... /insert horrible mine scaring image here oo

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
SaetonChapelle said:
Volf said:
SaetonChapelle said:

Depending on the female... /insert horrible mine scaring image here oo
more likely depends on the guy, because some guys like "big" girls, and for some guys a butherface is alright.

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
According to Greg Mathis, sagging was adopted from the United States prison system where belts are prohibited.[3] Belts are sometimes prohibited to keep prisoners from using them as weapons or in committing suicide by hanging themselves.[4][5] The style was later popularized by hip-hop artists in the 1990s.[4] It has since become a symbol of freedom and cultural awareness among many youths[6] or a symbol of their rejection of the values of mainstream society.[7] Contrary to a persistent urban legend, sagging did not originate as a means to advertise an inmate's sexual availability.[5]
I always get rather furious whenever I spot this "fashion", so please don't do this. I'd rather not be forced to angrily whisper in your direction, or hit you with a rolled up newspaper if I had one.

You should congratulate yourself for a sense of decency most do not have. In fact, I'd buy you a lobster dressed in a tuxedo, right now, if I had the means and currency to acquire one.

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
Jack the Potato said:
SaetonChapelle said:
Jack the Potato said:

Well, there's your answer. It's cool. It's the "in" thing. It's really THAT simple. People often do things because their peers think it's cool. Who are we to judge?
Okay, so why did it become "in". What is attractive about it? What do males see in another male featuring their dirty shorts that made them think this was a better choice of wardrobe? For women to feature more skin, I would assume it's due to our culture (least in America, Im ignorant of other cultures ways) and our view of the female body. Is it an attempt to dominate? Do they think women have an internal need to know how they wash their clothing and how effectively?

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
Motiv_ said:
According to Greg Mathis, sagging was adopted from the United States prison system where belts are prohibited.[3] Belts are sometimes prohibited to keep prisoners from using them as weapons or in committing suicide by hanging themselves.[4][5] The style was later popularized by hip-hop artists in the 1990s.[4] It has since become a symbol of freedom and cultural awareness among many youths[6] or a symbol of their rejection of the values of mainstream society.[7] Contrary to a persistent urban legend, sagging did not originate as a means to advertise an inmate's sexual availability.[5]
I always get rather furious whenever I spot this "fashion", so please don't do this. I'd rather not be forced to angrily whisper in your direction, or hit you with a rolled up newspaper if I had one.

You should congratulate yourself for a sense of decency most do not have. In fact, I'd buy you a lobster dressed in a tuxedo, right now, if I had the means and currency to acquire one.
Wondrous! I like historical facts about my cultures clothing options. I was ignorant to the ways of the prison system (thank god...)

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
SaetonChapelle said:
Motiv_ said:

Wondrous! I like historical facts about my cultures clothing options. I was ignorant to the ways of the prison system (thank god...)
As a rule of thumb, you should keep an inmate as a pen pal, better if you can find a lifer[footnote]Lifer: An inmate who will be in prison for the rest of his or her life[/footnote], as they're more likely to write back. This way, you can keep up to date on all the latest happenings in the federal or state prison of your choice! Besides, every now and again my pen pal sends me a brand new, handcarved shiv, made from a toothbrush[footnote]He has no teeth, so he doesn't need them[/footnote]! How nicer can you get?

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
SaetonChapelle said:
Maybe I'm too old and unfashionable at 26, but it's utter nonsense. Utter. Nonsense.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Frankly, I want to take a cane and wave it at the people who perform this style.

From what I'm told, it has something to do with acceptance and a group culture. That's the best I've got.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
From what I've gathered "observing" the people at my school it has strong connections with "Gang culture".

Because, y'know, gangsters are cool, and to be like them is cool.