Please, Recommend Some Metal!

TheSolemnHypnotic

Dec 12, 2010
I feel like I need more metal in my life. Could you please recommend some. Here's some help:

-Nothing "Satanic" as in praising Satan...'cause he sucks
-It would be cool if they spoke/sang/screamed in English (unless it's exceptional)
-Pretty composition (Melodic, even if only some parts)
-Modern stuff is appreciated (unless it's that kick-a**)
-Metalcore can be included
-Examples of some stuff I like (please listen to at least one):

Edit I:(4:00 in Anodyne Sea is my favorite part)
Edit II: I have also enjoyed some Dethklok.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
I have to recommend A Night at the Opera by Blind Guardian. Absolutely a must-listen. Particularly the song "And Then There Was Silence".

I'll also recommend From Mars to Sirius by Gojira. Fantastic album. One of my favorites.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Black Flood Diesel reminds me of Pantera.

Anyway, check out Last.FM if you can, it will give you a whole bunch of related music to anything you pick. Or maybe try Spotify, again if you can.

Von Dean

Feb 10, 2010
System Of A Down but i'd have thought you know those guys already? also not strictly Heavy Metal but The Mars Volta are fuc*in ace!

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
Metal eh? Well, vanadium forms pretty colours...

OT: Pantera. Start with "Cowboys From Hell" then go from there.

Trololo Punk

May 14, 2011
Recently I have been listening to a lot of black metal. Burzum and Gorgoroth are notable stand outs for me.
But, Enslaved, especially as of their last couple of albums have been this really cool mix of Black and Prog metal. Just an incredible band.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Gxas said:
I have to recommend A Night at the Opera by Blind Guardian. Absolutely a must-listen. Particularly the song "And Then There Was Silence".

I'll also recommend From Mars to Sirius by Gojira. Fantastic album. One of my favorites.
Don't forget Nightfall in Middle-Earth. My next recommendations are Hammerfall, Stratovarious, Iced Earth, Seven Kingdoms (second album, titled Seven Kingdoms, first album had some dude singer who sucked), and throw in some Alestorm for the lulz.

Wolfwood1203

Sep 4, 2011
I'm gonna say Arch Enemy, In Flames, Cradle of Filth, and I know you might not want to take them seriously because of Metalocalypse, but Dethklok is good too.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007

I also support checking out A Night at the Opera as mentioned before:

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Blind Guardian. They're from the '80s but still amazing.
Amon Amarth
Finntroll. They sing in Finnish but it is awesome enough.
Ensiferum
Sonata Arctica

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
JaceArveduin said:
Gxas said:

Don't forget Nightfall in Middle-Earth.
That would be the first recommendation after A Night at the Opera. I choose that first simply because of the composition of each song. (Over 50 vocal tracks in "And Then There Was Silence"? Fucking incredible.)

But yes, Nightfall in Middle-Earth is also an exceptional album. As will be the full LotR journey concept album they're working on (or rumored to be working on).

Von Dean

Feb 10, 2010
also I forgot Maximum the Hormone,they are a J-Metal band who had 2 tracks used in the Death Note credits

ToAsTy McBuTTeR

May 27, 2009
emerald sword by rhapsody. in fact... rhapsody as a whole but thats a good place to start.
most things by nightwish...
i guess thats enough suggestions for now

godinshorts

Oct 13, 2008
some of my personal favorites:

iron savior

hammerfall

clutch, not exactly metal but still fucking awesome

rhapsody of fire

two steps from hell

wolfmother