Please Stop Making Me Hate The Simpsons

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Please Stop Making Me Hate The Simpsons

Explain to me why everything good gets canceled, and the now-unfunny Simpsons marches on.

Read Full Article

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'd say The Simpsons were already dropping in quality after season 4: Complacency had begun to set in and the characters became more and more one note. Though sometimes I catch a current episode on TV and I'm stunned at how bad this show has become.

Too bad about Arrested Developement. I never saw the entire run, but the first 2 seasons were terrific.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Well people like re-runs and T.V shows with double digit season numbers because of familiarity! It gives us a sense of belonging, we don't like change and we love routine and predictability! Though that is a generalisation. I too am convicted of watching re-runs and enjoying them.
Though this is a bad thing, we should really get out of this 'cultural rut'! T.V and Film have never been so terrible and I'm not the only one thinking like this.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
Wow, that was a big pile of bitterness and self-importance. Reminds me of my ex.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
The Simpsons has lived long enough, and I agree that it should be put down as fast as possible. However, I still sticking to it till the very end, even when the quality's gone bone dry.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I really miss The Tick...thanks for reminding me. Futurama is back and I never cared for any of those other shows...how about Greg the Bunny!?

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
psrdirector said:
The simpsons are a hell of allot more interesting and informative then this drivel you wrote.
It saddens me to read that, it really does. The Simpsons were once the funniest thing I watched... now? A poor, pale imitation of Family Guy.

Unless you're some kind of time traveller and come from a time pre-sucky Simpsons... Nope, still disagree with you.

And I guess you didn't read the new forum posting guidelines or maybe didn't think the post was bad.... but "drivel"? Good lord, that is incredibly rude.
Disagree, by all means. But would it kill you to be a little more civil while you do it?

Elaborate on why you think the current trends and episodes in The Simpsons are interesting and informative?

Which is bizarre, cos I thought humour was the goal, not information....

CLEVERSLEAZOID

Mar 4, 2009
I love the fact you mention Firefly, AND for letting me hear the rather awesome Hero of Canton. Seriously, my favourite episode of the short lived piece of television mastery that it was.

Yes, that was extremely badly worded, but I was too busy laughing at poor Jayne's expression when he told them how much he'd lost hahaha.

And although you didn't mention it, I have to add that I also rather dislike them cancelling Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Starring Firefly's Summer Glau, it may not have been to everyone's tastes, but I really enjoyed watching that show, and once again Fox rears their ugly 'WE HATE SCI-FI' heads and cancel something good. Even though we got a full 2 seasons, it was left on such a stupidly horrific cliffhanger, its horrible to know that we may not ever find out how the frick things would have gone. Although I hear there are talks of a straight to TV/DVD movie they want to do to sort the story out.

blippity

Apr 30, 2009
I haven't seen half of the shows since I live in Australia, but I gave up on the Simpsons around season 5-6 (can't really remember, they're all a blur). I used to watch the Simpsons almost religiously but I haven't seen an episode for a long time.

I actually think that Arrested Development is perfect. Sometimes short series is good rather than letting it drag. I think the Simpsons show how not to let things go on for too long.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Looks like someone hasn't actually been watching the show lately. Season 22, so far, has been much better than 19-21, and about a million times better still than the travesty that was season 18. Yes, the show's been on far too long, but at least it seems they're on an upswing in quality.

P.S. Thanks

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
i couldn't agree more with this article. Fox has a bad habit of canceling good series and necromantically prolonging the lives of series that should have died years ago.

though in Fox's defense, at least the didn't let Greg the Bunny run more than a season or 2. god, what a pile of crap that was. amazing, considering how great some of Seth Green's other stuff has been.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
Jurrasic Bark damn near made my roomie and I bawl when we first saw it. OG Futurama was an amazing show, GJ Fox...

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Simpsons is still funny. I don't get why people are always saying it's getting worse. I have become very much aware of how much I fucking hate Lisa, but homer still says dumb stuff and the jokes are funny. Arrested development was shit though

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Amen! Firefly is my favourite TV show of all time. I will never, ever forgive the idiots at Fox for what they did to that show. It was damn near criminal.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
ionveau said:
The grand dad Simpson
The father Family guy
The son American dad
Family Guy is more for the kids, American Dad is for people who hate kids.

< AD Fan

TheEndlessSleep

Sep 1, 2010
Oddly enough, Matt groening did very well here:

He moved all of the decent writers in the Simpsons onto Futurama, because he recognised that it was far easier to write origional material about outer space than bout one town in America.

However, Fox are stupid (They cancelled Family Guy twice ffs), and belive that anything which ran as strong as the simpsons and for so long must be holier than Jesus and indestructible.

So, The Simpsons trundles along, shite as can be, recycling old jokes, until Fox finally realise how stupid they have been and put the old dog down for good.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
You know, I'm not a very big Simpsons fan. I'm not. I liked it when it started out, and maybe it's only because I've seen all the old episodes a billion times because they get repeated so often, but I just don't see the lasting charm. I'd rather watch new episodes that are repackagings of stale concepts than watch the original ideas from 20 years ago.

I have friends who've been buying up the DVD sets, and I ask them why. They say "the old episodes were the best, I'm only buying the first 5/8/10 seasons" (variable from friend to friend). I still ask them why. Those episodes are indelibly etched into my memory and I'm well sick of them. Play any episode of the Simpsons from the first 14 seasons and I will tell you what episode it is within three seconds - sometimes I even know from the first frame of animation, able to distinguish between the dozens if not hundreds of episodes that start with an almost identical external shot of the Simpson house. I wish this was a talent I could be proud of, some sort of savant-like eidetic memory trick. It's not. It's from Channel 10 playing and replaying The Simpsons over the course of my entire goddamn childhood. We often get new seasons a year behind their US launch dates.

I seldom see The Simpsons on TV these days, an episode a week whenever a network decides to actually cough up a new one among a tsunami of repeats is more than enough. I'll enjoy watching it - and there's actually few episodes where I stare blankly at the end credits and deliver a flat "what".

I've actually missed (or plain not bothered to watch) so many episodes over the last five years that I'm actually now seeing repeats that are entirely new to me, and i'm surprisingly ok with that. So much in narrative is recycled, so much of the Simpsons are based on references to other fiction, that it all just kind of blurs together anyway.