Pokémon: Any other "shiny virgins" out there?

LordBongo

Jun 13, 2011
I've been playing Pokémon since Generation 1. I've put in at LEAST 200 hours into every major game. Yet, I'm a shiny virgin. I've managed to avoid running into a shiny Pokémon for this long. Besides the standard Red Gyarados, of course. It's become really frustrating, especially when everybody else seems to have stories of shinies that they've run into. I've reached a point where I've decided that I'm going to put the first shiny I see/catch into my party, no matter what it is. It will be a special moment.

So I ask my fellow Escapists: are there any other shiny virgins who experience the same pain as I?

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Not I. I've gotten two shinies in my Pokemmoning days. The first was a shiny Ditto, that was really awesome in generation 3, because occasionally it would not only remain shiny when it transformed, but would be a different color than the standard shiny (example, shiny Dragonite is usually green, but shiny Ditto transformed into a Dragonite was black). Unfortunately, they took this out of generation 4 (and I assume 5), and it doesn't retain shinyness, which makes it way less cool.

I also have a shiny Magikarp that I'm not evolving for obvious reasons. Besides, what could be more awesome than a golden fucking Magikarp? Nothing, that's what.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Alas, despite my username the only shiny I've ever found was a shiny onyx. And unfortunately shiny onyx looks like someone puked on it.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
I only found two shiny, one was a Spearow in Crystal which I captured a envolve into a Fearow eventualy and the other one was Lotad in Emerald which was about 20 levels below my pokemon, so I decided to knock it out... I don't care for Shiny much, they are not that much better that the normal version and are in most cases are far uglier.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I have never found a shiny in my time playing Pokemon. I've spent maybe over a 100 hours in Diamond and at least 50 hours in White and I have never seen one.

I never even knew shinies existed until about two or three years ago.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
It took me awhile, but I found my first shiny ever in Pearl. And it's actually a funny story.

I was EV training in the haunted house, and I randomly found a shiny Gastly (with sexy blue smoke, no less). I caught it, praised Arceus for my good fortune, and returned to the Pokemon Center.

Upon returning to the Pokemon Center, I received a message that I had never seen before: Nurse Joy told me that I had contracted Pokerus. So, not only had that Gastly been shiny, but it ALSO had Pokerus. If you're not aware, the odds for encountering a Pokemon with Pokerus are actually LOWER than the odds for encountering a shiny.

What are the freaking odds that I'd find one with BOTH? (Seriously, what are the odds? I'm sure there's some math master out there that can tell me. The odds of a shiny are 1/8192, and the odds of Pokerus are 3/65536. Get on that, math nerds.)

LordBongo

Jun 13, 2011
Leemaster777 said:
What are the freaking odds that I'd find one with BOTH?
You, sir, are very fortunate. I have also yet to encounter Pokérus. I actually only found out recently that it was even a thing. I've known about shinies since 3rd Gen though.

scorptatious said:
I have never found a shiny in my time playing Pokemon.
ruedyn said:
I am neither shiny nor a virgin, but I am a shiny virgin :\
Well, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one at least. Sill baffles me that I've managed to log so many hours throughout my life and not find a single one... guess that's just luck for ya.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
I haven't found any shiny Pokemon back when I played, except of the red Gyarados. I wonder why they had to make it that rare.

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
No...nadda...zip....nilch.....none....I've been playing Pokemon since Yellow has come out, and the only games I missed was Crystal and Emerald. Other than that, pokemon is the one game series i put the most time in out of any other game I played and I have not come across one of these so called Shiny's other than the Gyarados. So ya, i feel your pain.

TheJazzyH

Jan 7, 2011
I once found a shiny Parasect in the Safari Zone while playing LeafGreen.

Seriously, the Safari Zone of all places?! It ran away before I could catch it.

Another

Mar 19, 2008
In Silver I caught a shiny Clefa and a shiny Rattata. Also caught pokerus in that game, and was the only game where I had the patience to get six pokemon to lvl 100.

This series events will never happen to me again. I have no desire to hit lvl 100 anymore.

Tyelcapilu

Mar 19, 2011
I've about 400 hours on my Ruby (not counting others of RSE), and have caught every single pokemon (Hoenn Dex, not National) and, despite that, no shinies have ever appeared. Nor pokerus.
Apparently, I have, for almost a decade, had dozens of skitties with pokerus (there were swarms of them, I collected skitties, dont hate) on my Ruby version. I never even knew.
I hear RNG is the way to go, yet you need to have found at least one shiny before you can get others.

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
I've most likely played over a 1000 hours of Pokemon in my life, and I've only ever encountered a single shiny Pokemon. It was a shiny Sandshrew on Ruby, and I had no idea what it was (the screen was dark so spotting any difference was hard) and all I had to go on was the little animation at the start.

What do I do? I kill it.

Once I found out about shinies I sure was kicking myself.

On a side note, I was there when a friend of mine found and caught a shiny Foongus on Pokemon White, but that hardly counts.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Leemaster777 said:
It took me awhile, but I found my first shiny ever in Pearl. And it's actually a funny story.
DAMN SON!
You got some luck.

I've only ever seen a shiny Miltank but I didn't know what to do at the time.
Soooo I got the equivalent of fellatio?
Though I have got the pokerus, which helps the EV training.
Funny thing is I contracted it while EV training, so I screwed up the EV's of my pokemon.

Insanity72

Feb 14, 2011
Nope, played all the pokemon except for gen 5 (not a hater, just never got it). and no shiny pokemon ever.