Pokémon: Any other "shiny virgins" out there?

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
Well, apparently the Poke-gods smile down upon me, seeing as I have quite a few shinies:
Generation 1: A shiny koffing.
Generation 2: A shiny Skarmory and a shiny suicune and a shiny Tyranitar.
Generation 3: a shiny mewtwo

Haven't played the new generations, since I do not own a Nintendo DS.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I'm definitely not a shiny virgin. I've only seen and caught a few, but I do have a couple.

In Ruby I once got a shiny Wingull, but that was on a save long gone. In White I managed to pick up a shiny Sewaddle (now a majestic and awesome shiny Leavanny) and in Black 2 I got a shiny Patrat right at the start of the game (now a Watchog) that I was determined to use despite its uselessness and was part of my team up until about the sixth badge.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
There were shiny pokemon in Silver, Gold and Crystal?!

The original game boy ones, or the releases on the other generations?

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Shiny Vulpix. Lets just say I got a good hand from the dealer.

Never seen another unscripted shiny to my knowledge though. My brother caught a shiny Rattatata from White 2 that I got him this christmas. I laughed.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
LordBongo said:
I've been playing Pokémon since Generation 1. I've put in at LEAST 200 hours into every major game. Yet, I'm a shiny virgin. I've managed to avoid running into a shiny Pokémon for this long. Besides the standard Red Gyarados, of course. It's become really frustrating, especially when everybody else seems to have stories of shinies that they've run into. I've reached a point where I've decided that I'm going to put the first shiny I see/catch into my party, no matter what it is. It will be a special moment.

So I ask my fellow Escapists: are there any other shiny virgins who experience the same pain as I?
Yeah I'm in the same boat as well.

Keep seeing all my friends with shinies and going wtf to how most of them got them on their first playthrough

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I founf a shiny pidgey, but I accidentally knocked it out with my weakest pokemon's weakest attack.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
I've encountered two shiny critters in my brief time of playing Poke-your-mom since gen I. They were a Zubat and a Golbat. Got both of 'em into a Crobat and traded one of em. Can't remember what for though.

I did encounter a shiny Rhyhorn once as well, but unfortunately...
TheJazzyH said:
Seriously, the Safari Zone of all places?! It ran away before I could catch it.
...this happened.

I did have Pokerus in gen III, I think it was a Volbeat, but yeah, all my critters got infected and turned into boosted Exp. zombies.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I think I caught a shiny Stantler once, but the even was so unbelievable that to this day I'm not sure it actually happened. Until this thread I wasn't sure if I hadn't just dreamed up the entire idea of shiny Pokemon

Tropicaz said:
In all that time I've only found 1, in gold, and I didnt really know why it was shiny. It was a stantler.
Same shiny, same game, the odds of that must be pretty darn low =D

DanteLives

Sep 1, 2011
I was derping around Victory Road in Diamond

When this big guy appeared. I just had to catch him, mostly because it's green.

halfeclipse

Nov 8, 2008
Poped my shiny cherry back when silver was new. Was just a zubat, but hey! also managed to get pokerus back then, and turned up a Yanma without it swarming. not sure if I was an absurdly lucky kid, or just played the game way to much...

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
Shiny Rayquaza in Sapphire. I think I got incredibly lucky with that one. Didn't even realise it was shiny until I looked at the Pokedex entry.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Other than Red Gyarados in Johto, I have never even ENCOUNTERED a wild shiny. Been playing since 1998 x___x.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I've caught a few shiny Pokemon in the past. The three I know I caught are an Aron, Wailmer, and Venonat. If I've caught any other I don't remember them and I can't check my Silver game for any because I let my brother use the game and he created his own file.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
I've never gotten one, and I've played Pokemon pretty regularly for years.

A friend of mine even managed to snag himself a shiny Latias and I can't even get something as common as a Rattata. D:

kamen_rider_wizard

Jan 21, 2013
Oddest shiny catch I have ever had was shiny rayquaza at full health, in a basic pokeball, before the elite 4. Other than that one a few others but it has been a while since my last shiny find. IF you were wondering it was in Emerald.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
IronMit said:
I have never seen a shiny...

isn't there a non-cheat way to get shinys...walk into rustling grass patches using a device in a row or something?with some repel
That's one method using a key item from Diamond/Pearl, I believe.

Another slightly more reliable method is to hatch pokemon whose parents are from two different regions (like Japan and NA for example) obtained via world link trade. That greatly increases your shiny chance, but it's still astronomically low.

Finally there's an item you can get in B/W 2 from Professor Juniper that permanently increases your chance of finding a shiny by a small amount. You need to COMPLETE the national dex to get it. Yikes.

Finally, if all else fails, there are 3 guaranteed shinies in Pokemon.

-Red gyaridos from SS/HG & S/G

-Shiny Gible from completing the black tower/white forest equivalent in B/W 2. (It's an endgame dungeon).

-Shiny Haxorous in entralink forest after completing the Unova dex.

I myself have been fortunate enough to obtain 2 shiny pokemon (not including the above 3).

A shiny machop from Shinnoh, and

A shiny manaphy from pokemon ranger, transferred to D/P. That second one being partially why I fell in love with the manaphy pokemon. Heh.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
<youtube=hlF_RxM-_D4>
My reaction to the first time I found a shiny Zangoose.
Then I transfered it to Colosseum.

Jasper Jeffs

Nov 22, 2009
I've never seen or caught any shiny Pokemon because I lack the patience. Yet, in every single Pokemon game, I force myself to catch the legendaries with a regular Pokeball just because I've done it since I was a kid and it's become a fucking ritual or something.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I found a stupid shiny pidgey. Although it's worthless since I usually play on emulators.

rosestorm

Jan 8, 2013
I have only found one shiny in all my years of pokemon and that is my shiny growlithe from Ruby version I think.