Pokémon: Any other "shiny virgins" out there?

Jiffex

Dec 11, 2011
Played every game since Red and Blue and have seen 1 shiny, and it was a Volbeat in HeartGold.

jibjab963

Sep 16, 2008
I have encountered two. My first was in Gold for the GBC. It was a rattata (I don't know how to spell it's name)right outside of Goldenrod while I was training. I had no idea what it was so I killed it. About a year later I found out about and was pissed at myself. My other was a wailmer in Sapphire. I CAUGHT THAT SHIT LIKE THERE WAS NO OTHER SHINY! Then my little cousin erased my save...

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Only 2 that I have encountered and caught in my whole pokemon life.

Back in Highschool, I got a Shiny Electrike.
And recently, just randomly playing the same Gen 3 on my Galaxy Tab (using an emulator, cause I don't have a GBA anymore)
Caught myself a Shiny Poochyena.

Never got any Pokerus

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While I did had a shiny in the past (two Tentacool in Ruby and a shiny Bidoof in Diamond) however it has been a long time since I caught a shiny (sorry but a shiny Bidoof is not that impressive to me).
I mean there had been two times I could of gotten one but fail (one is becaus the stupid ai partner fainted it before I can capture it and the other was using that Pokeseeker but I got a random encounter before reaching that shiny spot).

Snownine

Apr 19, 2010
There are ways to increase your chances of getting shinies such as the Masuda method and abusing the poke radar. My first shiny was a Mareep, I was pretty stoked that I was able to catch it.

AlexKasper

Feb 8, 2011
When I first got Ruby, I never knew that Shiny Pokemon existed so I guess I could've missed a few.

However, from my memory, I don't think I've ever seen a Shiny Pokemon.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
I think I caught a shiny Raichu on the only pokemon game i've played: crystal.

romanator0

Jun 3, 2011
Been playing Pokemon since Blue. A few weeks ago I was thinking about this same thing while playing SoulSilver and lo and behold what happens? My first shiny pokemon appears, a shiny Golbat, a pokemon I have never used once in my life. Several days later I got insanely lucky again when my party got pokerus from a random battle.

I never want to restart that save file now since it's unlikely something like that will happen to me again.

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009
In Firered I had a rather bizarre incident where I got a shiny Hitmonchan. I don't remember it very well (I was like 8) but I think I got in an ingame choice. (Like they give you a choice between two fossils and you can only take one.)

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
My first was a Shiny Graveler in Heartgold, Evolved it into Golem and traded it for some legendary, I forget which now.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
From Trades: Shaymin, Gastly, Venonat, Manaphy, Slowpoke, Eevee
From Events/Games: Gyarados, Pichu, Entei, Raikou, Suicune
From Actually Playing the Games: Baltoy, Psyduck (accidentally fainted, but who gives a shit)

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
The only one I ever caught (besides the Gyarados at Lake Rage) was a shiny Caterpie back in Silver...which might have something to do with the fact that I never bought a new handheld system to play later titles on...in an amusing twist, if memory serves, I found it within minutes of catching the aforementioned Gyarados. I was honestly a bit miffed about it, given that I could never find any real use for the thing at that point in the game.

Remaiki

Jan 2, 2013
Leemaster777 said:
It took me awhile, but I found my first shiny ever in Pearl. And it's actually a funny story.

I was EV training in the haunted house, and I randomly found a shiny Gastly (with sexy blue smoke, no less). I caught it, praised Arceus for my good fortune, and returned to the Pokemon Center.

Upon returning to the Pokemon Center, I received a message that I had never seen before: Nurse Joy told me that I had contracted Pokerus. So, not only had that Gastly been shiny, but it ALSO had Pokerus. If you're not aware, the odds for encountering a Pokemon with Pokerus are actually LOWER than the odds for encountering a shiny.

What are the freaking odds that I'd find one with BOTH? (Seriously, what are the odds? I'm sure there's some math master out there that can tell me. The odds of a shiny are 1/8192, and the odds of Pokerus are 3/65536. Get on that, math nerds.)
Well, AFAIK, the odds of that happening would be: 1/178956970

You were that 178,659,970th person. (Of course, this is incorporating the fact the odds of Pokerus are 3/65536, rather than 1/65536.)

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
I have actually found a shiny pokemon. One single shiny pokemon. Unfortunately...

So yeah...turned out to be pretty much a complete wash.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
I only found one shiny ariados.

The trick is not to care then you will never be disappointed. Failing that get an action replay and you will have more shiny's than actual pokemon.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
LordBongo said:
I've been playing Pokémon since Generation 1. I've put in at LEAST 200 hours into every major game. Yet, I'm a shiny virgin. I've managed to avoid running into a shiny Pokémon for this long. Besides the standard Red Gyarados, of course. It's become really frustrating, especially when everybody else seems to have stories of shinies that they've run into. I've reached a point where I've decided that I'm going to put the first shiny I see/catch into my party, no matter what it is. It will be a special moment.

So I ask my fellow Escapists: are there any other shiny virgins who experience the same pain as I?
Sorry, not me. I stumbled onto a shiney hoothoot after only about 30 hours in crystal. Though, that's the only one I've found in possibly even more playtime than you have.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Breaker deGodot said:
In Firered I had a rather bizarre incident where I got a shiny Hitmonchan. I don't remember it very well (I was like 8) but I think I got in an ingame choice. (Like they give you a choice between two fossils and you can only take one.)
Hitmonchan? Nah, you get him (Or Hitmonlee) for beating the Fighting Dojo. The fossils gave you either Kabuto or Omanyte. Very neat that you got it on a one-instance pokemon though.

velcrokidneyz

Sep 28, 2010
ive never found a shiny either and ive put a lot of time into those games yet i have friends with like 4 or 5